Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I can see a little bend in the spring bars....that is a good thing.

Can the snap up brackets be moved a little more forward ??? The chains need to be as straight as possible, but if there is something in the way then so be it.

Can't tell exactly, but the cam seems to be too far forward in the crook of the spring bar. If the Liberty is turned slightly to the right, it could be just that, or it could be just 1 of those optional delusions.

Not sure what to tell you on the airbags. I think I would do the initial setup no air in those, or the minimum amount that the manufacturer recommends. Usually I make it known that airbags do not distribute the weight....just a WDH will do that. But they can affect weight some when using a WDH. If you can imagine taking your combo through a dip in the road. As the TV comes out of the dip and the trailer goes in, that is going to bend the spring bars more than a flat piece of ground, causing more weight to be shifted to the front axle. The opposite would happen when going over a ridge in the road......the spring bars would unload some. I am not sure how much weight would come off of the front axle if you inflate the airbags....raising the back of the Liberty, similar to going over a ridge in the road.

Also, as the rear of the Liberty goes up and down, there will be a slight shift of the spring bars on the cam......I think.

It might be interesting to do 1 weigh-in without air, and 1 with just to see how much difference it would make.

The final cam to spring bar centering should be with the anticipated air that you want to run in the airbags on a flat piece of ground.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #22
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I can see a little bend in the spring bars....that is a good thing.

Can the snap up brackets be moved a little more forward ??? The chains need to be as straight as possible, but if there is something in the way then so be it.

Can't tell exactly, but the cam seems to be too far forward in the crook of the spring bar. If the Liberty is turned slightly to the right, it could be just that, or it could be just 1 of those optional delusions.

Not sure what to tell you on the airbags. I think I would do the initial setup no air in those, or the minimum amount that the manufacturer recommends. Usually I make it known that airbags do not distribute the weight....just a WDH will do that. But they can affect weight some when using a WDH. If you can imagine taking your combo through a dip in the road. As the TV comes out of the dip and the trailer goes in, that is going to bend the spring bars more than a flat piece of ground, causing more weight to be shifted to the front axle. The opposite would happen when going over a ridge in the road......the spring bars would unload some. I am not sure how much weight would come off of the front axle if you inflate the airbags....raising the back of the Liberty, similar to going over a ridge in the road.

Also, as the rear of the Liberty goes up and down, there will be a slight shift of the spring bars on the cam......I think.

It might be interesting to do 1 weigh-in without air, and 1 with just to see how much difference it would make.

The final cam to spring bar centering should be with the anticipated air that you want to run in the airbags on a flat piece of ground.
#1 The brackets are as far as they can because of the tanks.

#2 I was not straight, so that is why the cam looks off.

#3 I did do the initial setup without airbags. I used the bags just for the final little bit of leveling.

Now for the scales. I weighed twice. I have to go back because something is definitely not right. I am thinking they weighed me while pushing the button with the trailer and empty, they weighed me in the truck. I will post the weights on my sticker ratings in the morning.

Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #23
Engineer of Crazy Train

CAT Scales - I am NOT too short!!

Ok, I really have to be reweighed.

For 1, if I am SLIGHTLY OVER, I am not here to be harassed.

Sticker Weights...

FAWR - 2750
RAWR - 3150
GVWR - 5650

Ok, scaled with full fuel, and full of cargo and passengers..

Front - 2860 (What??? I am over??)
Rear - 2360
Gross - 5220

Ok, scaled with trailer and WDH

Front - 2600
Rear - 2840
Vehicle - 5440
Trailer - 4080

Ok, so something is not right. Here is what isn't right...

1) I am over my front GAWR with just passengers?

2) 220 pounds of tongue weight on a 4000 pound trailer? I thinkg not. I know that I weight 300ish (Yes, I am a big railroader boy), and I don't squat my Jeep as much as the trailer. And I know I can lift 220 pounds. I can't budge the trailer.

Here is what I am thinking. I think my weight of Jeep and trailer, they got me off the scale pushing the button. Lets add my weight, say 300. And split it 50/50 front to rear. This is what I get.

Front - 2750lbs
Rear - 2990lbs
Truck - 5740lbs
Trailer - 4080

That would be a tongue weight of 520 pounds.

Any thoughts???
Locomotive Engineer
Old 04-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #24

Is the hitch moving the tongue weight to the front. I have't weighed mine to help with any #.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #25
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgail4309 View Post
Is the hitch moving the tongue weight to the front. I have't weighed mine to help with any #.
Read up with the measurements. Towed great. 55 to 60. Rain and wind.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 04-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #26

Thats really all that counts is that towing great. Post some pictures when you get time. Happy camping!!!
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #27
Fulltime family RVer

It is possible that you weren't in the jeep when they grabbed the scale weight. They were pretty quick when I did my weighing. You might need to repeat it and ask them to wait 15 seconds while you get back in (they're used to big trucks and the driver being in the truck). Even in my truck, I was most likely standing on the running board vs. actually sitting. And- where I weighed, unless they had a video camera, they couldn't see me.

Maybe try again?

I wouldn't be overly surprised if you're over GAWR with just passengers- especially you being a big boy (I'm down to 268 myself).
Old 04-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #28
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

How much does it cost???
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79 Nights Camped 2018 4 nights reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #29
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by syencer View Post
How much does it cost???
$10 first weigh, pay, then $2 for reweigh.
Locomotive Engineer
Old 04-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Ok, I really have to be reweighed.

For 1, if I am SLIGHTLY OVER, I am not here to be harassed.

Sticker Weights...

FAWR - 2750
RAWR - 3150
GVWR - 5650

Ok, scaled with full fuel, and full of cargo and passengers..

Front - 2860 (What??? I am over??)
Rear - 2360
Gross - 5220

Ok, scaled with trailer and WDH

Front - 2600
Rear - 2840
Vehicle - 5440
Trailer - 4080

Ok, so something is not right. Here is what isn't right...

1) I am over my front GAWR with just passengers?
With cargo and passengers in the Liberty, it is possible that you might be over the FAWR. Many diesel engines weigh more than their gas counterparts. Jeep probably used the same axle as the gas engine Liberty. ~200 of your 300 lbs. goes to the front axle. 2/3 of your passenger's weight will go to the front axle, also. A portion of your cargo weight will go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
2) 220 pounds of tongue weight on a 4000 pound trailer? I thinkg not. I know that I weight 300ish (Yes, I am a big railroader boy), and I don't squat my Jeep as much as the trailer. And I know I can lift 220 pounds. I can't budge the trailer.

Here is what I am thinking. I think my weight of Jeep and trailer, they got me off the scale pushing the button. Lets add my weight, say 300. And split it 50/50 front to rear. This is what I get.

Front - 2750lbs
Rear - 2990lbs
Truck - 5740lbs
Trailer - 4080

That would be a tongue weight of 520 pounds.

Any thoughts???
I am thinking that you are correct. I have the advantage of standing on the running board when I push the call button. I still ask for them to wait wait a couple of seconds until I sit down when they weigh....but who know if they do that.

If that is what happened, I think you have the WDH dialed in great. I think you will have have closer to 2800 lbs. on your front axle with your "presumed" weights.....your 300 lbs. sits close to the front axle than the rear axle. But you are getting most of the lost weight back on the front axle.

You could back off 1 chain length and see what happens, but that might put to much weight on the back axle, and you would no longer be close to the solo Liberty front axle weight.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, scales, scaling