Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #1

CAT scales and WDH question

Pardon my thickness, but I thought I had the procedure for weighing our TT figured out then I started thinking about the WDH. Does the WDH affect the math figuring afterwards?

I believe you should put the spring bars in the truck for the truck only pass?

Also, a month or so ago, someone posted a nice summation of the procedure on a spreadsheet but I can't find it. Anyone know the thread? I think it might have been a "Fred" something in the username?? I printed it but can't find it now.

Off to the scales this weekend.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #2

This is a subject near and dear to my heart. I have tried in vain to get a weight for each wheel for our coach.

Getting an axle weight is not too difficult and I have that.

I've been using a new set of CAT scales at a local truck stop. These are the scales that are self serve type where you push a button to talk to a cashier inside then park and go in to get your weight.

They have a 3 foot pad at scale level on either side of the scale and the scale is set up in 4 sections. I tried pulling on with my left side wheels off the scale, riding on the concrete pad. I had the right side wheels on two separate scale sections and the left side wheels completely off the scale. The idea was to get a front wheel and rear wheel weight. Then I did the other side pulling the right side tires onto the concrete leaving the left side on the scale. Thought I had this licked.

But no, instead of getting two weights, front and rear for each ticket it gave me the total "side" weight. That was a dissappointment. (I was clearly on two separate scale sections.)

I know that I am under capactity on the front axle by 1200 lbs (6800/8000) and under weight on the rear axle by 1800 lbs (13200/15000), but I didn't know what the weight is side to side.

I discovered in the failed attempt to get individual wheel weight that I was loaded 550 lbs heavier on the right side than the left side, I just don't know where that weight is, front or rear, or a combination.

Frustrating....
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37 TZ pulling a 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (JKUS). Many upgrades, additions, mods, and changes to the coach.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
Engineer of Crazy Train

I bet you Doug should be here shortly. He has been a weight fanatic lately :-P

Putting the bars in the truck would make sense, since they are more attached to the truck.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #4

OK so what is the reason for needing each wheel weight?

Is the vehicle handling poorly or some unusual wear one side?
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Always Learning

Since I've been summoned ... no clue. Never used WDH- but if it were me, I'd throw them into the back of the truck since that's where their weight normally sits.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #6

This will be my first experience at a CAT scale. Not sure what it will be like if teeming with semis and rough looking drivers.... Am planning to wear my best wife-beater T-shirt and telling them to go sit in line. No fear here!

If you can fit it in, I think it would be nice to know your left and right side weights so you can try and balance your payload if possible. Should make for a little better handling and less tire wear - theoretically speaking. If you have a long slide on one side, not sure how you could balance it out other than adding some big rocks on the other side.

If I find out I do not have our Reese dual cam hitch dialed in close enough, I am not looking forward to unhooking, adjusting things and taking another pass. Am looking for 25% weight transfer to the front, 50% to the rear and 25% to the trailer. Measuring the drop of the front and rear of our truck says I should be close but who knows.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
Always Learning

It's intimidating, that's for sure. But- I've never bad any bad experiences. In fact, as I was backing into my spot to drop the camper, a truck driver saw me stretching to see my corner in my mirrors. As I was about to jump out to look, he smiled and waved me to keep going (showing me that I had room). I was able to ease on back into the spot from there.

Once parked, unhitching and re-hitching wasn't bad.

I've not seen CAT scales that you could get side-to-side measurements.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Canadian Member

Go to this thread. It should have all the info you'll need.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...sue-23031.html

Here is the URL for the CAT Scales website:
CAT Scale
You'll find lots of great info on their scales, how to use them and where they're located.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
Engineer of Crazy Train

I ran into one Butt of a truck driver when I tried to drop my trailer in the back of the lot. He was bullshit because it says no parking, yet other trucks parked there. He didn't swear in front of the family...that would have gotten ugly.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Pardon my thickness, but I thought I had the procedure for weighing our TT figured out then I started thinking about the WDH. Does the WDH affect the math figuring afterwards?

I believe you should put the spring bars in the truck for the truck only pass?

Also, a month or so ago, someone posted a nice summation of the procedure on a spreadsheet but I can't find it. Anyone know the thread? I think it might have been a "Fred" something in the username?? I printed it but can't find it now.

Off to the scales this weekend.
Was it this thread? http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ity-37323.html

Force did a nice job, but I'm not sure it was ever posted anywhere for download.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymule View Post
OK so what is the reason for needing each wheel weight?

Is the vehicle handling poorly or some unusual wear one side?
There was a little push coming out of Turn # 4! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
There was a little push coming out of Turn # 4! Youroo!!
Loose on entry tight on exit..
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Loose on entry tight on exit..
Put a little wedge in the left rear.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #14

Thanks, Len & Cheri, that's the one. When I printed it before, it looked different. I'd like to take it along in the truck because it has a nice summary of what to do. Under all that heat from the lineup behind, I don't want to miss a step.

Thanks to Force for producing that.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #15

Quote:
This will be my first experience at a CAT scale. Not sure what it will be like if teeming with semis and rough looking drivers.... Am planning to wear my best wife-beater T-shirt and telling them to go sit in line. No fear here!

If you can fit it in, I think it would be nice to know your left and right side weights so you can try and balance your payload if possible. Should make for a little better handling and less tire wear - theoretically speaking. If you have a long slide on one side, not sure how you could balance it out other than adding some big rocks on the other side.

If I find out I do not have our Reese dual cam hitch dialed in close enough, I am not looking forward to unhooking, adjusting things and taking another pass. Am looking for 25% weight transfer to the front, 50% to the rear and 25% to the trailer. Measuring the drop of the front and rear of our truck says I should be close but who knows.
I guess it's a good thing it wasn't my wife behind you then, she would have slipped the front wheels of the Volvo up on the scale deck and you'd get a heck of a weight slip.LOL
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #16
daydreaming about camping

As to the spring bars, I figured if I left them on the tongue of the trailer then I would get a better picture of tongue weight. Now I tend to think they should be included in the truck weight.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Thanks, Len & Cheri, that's the one. When I printed it before, it looked different. I'd like to take it along in the truck because it has a nice summary of what to do. Under all that heat from the lineup behind, I don't want to miss a step.

Thanks to Force for producing that.
I'm not sure if you figured it out (I just did), but if you go to post #1 of that link and click on the document you can now download it to your computer.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #18

I had my first experience at the scale last week on my way to the campground. We were all loaded up with a full tank of gas, food, clothes, dog, wife, laptop, etc. Before I hooked up I weighed the trailer tongue at 750 pounds. I weighed with and without the trailer. My steer axle went from 3020 to 2740 when I added the trailer. My drive axle went from 2680 to 3700. I am within the TV GAWR and GVWR, but I am concerned with the decrease of 10% on the steer axle. I know from this and other threads that the steer axle shouldn't weigh less with the trailer attached. I use a Equal-I-Zer brand 4-point hitch. Can I adjust this type of hitch to put more weight on the steer axle? If not, would getting a bigger Equal-I-Zer help? Due to the trailer's V-nose construction I am limited in my choice of hitches.
ProjectPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I too wanted to see what my trailer weighed side to side. The local rock quarry where I used to go to weigh my rig (I now use a local CAT scale) had barricades on each side of the scales. I went to a place that sold decorative stones, and they allowed me to use their scales, which did not have a barricade on 1 side....just pavement. There was a readout at the scales, which was convenient.

On the OP question.....I put my spring bars at the rear of the bed when weighing.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, scales, scaling