Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2018, 07:12 PM   #21
Georgia Rally Coordinator

My use has been on all gas engines with no issues, and from what is posted here all problems seem to be related to diesels with a few exceptions. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:00 PM   #22

Can't say I like the cold air intake that the PO put on my Ram1500 5.7. The OEM air box was a cold air intake, so the only improvement might be a more open airway.
Been looking for a used air box and connectors so I can go back to factory setup.
1995 GMC Yukon Sport
1986 Jayco1016PUP
Days Camped:'13-10 '14-20 '15-6 '16-9 '17-14 '18-3 '19-12 '20-14 '21-12
XenoRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
These statements always make me chuckle. The oil only contaminates the sensor if you don't know what you are doing and use too much. I've had my oiled filter on my Duramax for 150k and 11 years. Sensor never had any problems, turbo is fine. But, believe what you want.
I have K & N filters in all of my cars. I have only had it get on my wife's MAS 2 times. That could be from a little to much oil. Other than that nothing else. Some people don't like them and others do, your choice.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #24

Follow Up

My message was not meant to say an Oil Based Filter is bad - good - or neutral. Just to advise that if you have to take it in for repair - at least from my incident -which was a EGR warning. The steps for troubleshooting include whether you have an AM filter or not. If so - They will not proceed to find out what the problem is - If anything. In this case - I took it to my Ford Service Center after I reinstalled the OEM Housing and they had it for 3 days searching for a problem and found none. They then took it on an extensive road test and no light so whether there was a problem or not it created a lot of stress. The Check Engine light is no big thing but the two times it kicked into Service Now really had me concerned. Not to mention that clearing that alert can only be done by a dealer Thanks for all the interest and responses.
dougsavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:56 PM   #25

https://automotiveaftermarket.org/ma...-warranty-act/

Not part of story but had a diesel truck under warranty. Had a engine tuner installed. Started using antifreeze, burning up in the exhaust system, being a former mech, I was guessing blown head gasket, brought it back to dealer, tore it apart, both side blown, dealer was not going to honor warranty, due to the engine tuner blowing the head gaskets. I stated to them you ever heard of Magnuson-moss act? If you don’t know what it is look it up. The dealer repaired my truck under warranty.
See link above my write up.
cfiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfiowa View Post
https://automotiveaftermarket.org/ma...-warranty-act/

Not part of story but had a diesel truck under warranty. Had a engine tuner installed. Started using antifreeze, burning up in the exhaust system, being a former mech, I was guessing blown head gasket, brought it back to dealer, tore it apart, both side blown, dealer was not going to honor warranty, due to the engine tuner blowing the head gaskets. I stated to them you ever heard of Magnuson-moss act? If you don’t know what it is look it up. The dealer repaired my truck under warranty.
See link above my write up.
Not true. The Magnuson-moss act protects consumers who do their own maintenance or use after market parts. However, adding a tune is neither of these. Also, if they can prove an after market part caused the issue, or if you screwed up your maintenance, they can, and will, deny your warranted claim.

If you got away with this (and I'd be quite surprised you did) if is because the dealer was clueless or the tune did not cause the problem.
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfkmk View Post
Not true. The Magnuson-moss act protects consumers who do their own maintenance or use after market parts. However, adding a tune is neither of these. Also, if they can prove an after market part caused the issue, or if you screwed up your maintenance, they can, and will, deny your warranted claim.

If you got away with this (and I'd be quite surprised you did) if is because the dealer was clueless or the tune did not cause the problem.
A tuner is an after market part. When the check engine light came on with my 2007 Saturn outlook we took it over to the GMC service and the guy in the so called service advisor said it was our fault that we didn't use a oil filter from A/C Delco. There was a service bulletin out about what was going on with the engine. They fixed the motor no cost, except a new oil filter.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkaty View Post
A tuner is an after market part. When the check engine light came on with my 2007 Saturn outlook we took it over to the GMC service and the guy in the so called service advisor said it was our fault that we didn't use a oil filter from A/C Delco. There was a service bulletin out about what was going on with the engine. They fixed the motor no cost, except a new oil filter.
A tuner is after market, true, but it is a MODIFICATION that can negatively affect a vehicle. A filter, if it meets manufacturers specs is a part.
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:41 PM   #29

Well I guess I was wrong in reading the act....but my repair was done under warranty, lucky me.
cfiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:39 PM   #30

Quote:
These statements always make me chuckle. The oil only contaminates the sensor if you don't know what you are doing and use too much. I've had my oiled filter on my Duramax for 150k and 11 years. Sensor never had any problems, turbo is fine. But, believe what you want.
What you say is true, proper oiling of the filter is essential, with more oil not being better....and getting 150k out of your engine would probably be normal with pretty much any air filter...BUT there is a good amount if independent research out there that shows that KN oiled air fiters allow more dirt ect. to pass through them then even stock paper filters... although they (kn) do flow more air for longer than stock between changes...also they do not improve hp/torque over stock filters..So if you want a filter that does not stop as much dirt but flows more air than the motor needs KN would be your best choice... personally I prefer a filter that needs to be changed more often but provides clean[er] air for the motor...Back in the day, like in the 60s-70s this may have not been true, but it is now...
mrfikser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:00 PM   #31

Interesting thing about gas engines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
My use has been on all gas engines with no issues, and from what is posted here all problems seem to be related to diesels with a few exceptions. Later RJD
Interesting thing about gas engines with fuel injection (that means all of them these days).

We are conditioned to worry about air filters. In the days of carburetors, they really mattered. Reducing airflow to the carburetor increased the vacuum and resulted in a rich mixture (more gas, less air), reducing fuel economy. Fuel-injected engines don't work that way, and air filters have greatly reduced economy.

In fuel injected engines, the throttle body (connected to the accelerator pedal) only regulates the air (not the gas-air mixture) going to the engine. Fuel regulation occurs when the exhaust temperature reported by the O2 sensor is sampled by the engine computer. The computer then changes the duration each fuel injector is on for each combustion cycle to get the optimum fuel-air mixture. As a result, the only effect of a dirty air filter (or one with "less flow") is the same effect you would get by letting up slightly on the accelerator. An air filter would have to be seriously plugged before you would see reduced mileage.

You've probably noticed that on many vehicles, the idle speed is set by adjusting an air bleed needle which allows air to bypass the throttle blade in the throttle body.

In my view, unless you routinely drive with the pedal to the metal and the engine wound out, air filters with "more flow" are snake oil. (Maybe there's a benefit to increased engine longevity because of better lubrication to the valve guides. )

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:37 AM   #32

Clean the MAF. The auto parts store has sprays for that. A good mechanic will clean the MAF first if you have a oil impregnated filter.
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:14 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsavy View Post
No problem on trips until this summer I started getting Check Engine P0402 EGR errors.

SNIP

Followed by Limit exceeded Service now going into reduced mode.
Was it a hot day?

Something similar happened to us leaving Wyoming in late June, pulling a fifth wheeler. 2007 Chevy Diesel Duramax. Regular air filter. Very hot day. Pretty weird feeling to experience reduced mode. Changed the air filter. Didn't seem to help.

Eventually, lower altitude and cooler weather and it seemed to go back to normal.

So, what causes this if there is no AM oil filter to blame?
Letsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:52 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgo View Post
So, what causes this if there is no AM oil filter to blame?
Check the code with an OBD II reader.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:42 PM   #35

https://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm
grunt 98444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Check the code with an OBD II reader.
Knowing the code won't be that much help. A high end scanner that can display pids and a freeze frame of the data stream at the time of failure would be better.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Knowing the code won't be that much help. A high end scanner that can display pids and a freeze frame of the data stream at the time of failure would be better.
Most decent blue tooth/wifi/laptop connected readers (that can cost under $30) also give you an explanation of the code in standard English via an app. Some apps are more refined than others. I use one that also gives me real time performance charts and gauges as I go down the road. All for $40. Definitely gives you a place to start and has lots of options. If it is not enough, by all means pay someone with a professional scanner to diagnose, or spend the big bucks on a high end scanner/software.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #38

Quote:
Most decent blue tooth/wifi/laptop connected readers (that can cost under $30) also give you an explanation of the code in standard English via an app. Some apps are more refined than others. I use one that also gives me real time performance charts and gauges as I go down the road. All for $40. Definitely gives you a place to start and has lots of options. If it is not enough, by all means pay someone with a professional scanner to diagnose, or spend the big bucks on a high end scanner/software.
Agreed.

What I was pointing out is that the code is simply the computer referencing a sub system or circuit failure. Finding out the exact failure that made the computer turn the light on is sometimes easy,,,,, and sometimes not. Fixing a driveability issue with only pending codes, or even worse, no codes takes a little more sleuthing. It grinds me that the 'parts stores' will pull a code and sell you the part that is related to that code with no diagnosis.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Old 09-04-2018, 04:47 PM   #39

For the fans of after market K&N filters -

Question - How much did you pay for your truck?

Question #2 - why are you balking at the cost of an oem air filter?
Eidolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:08 PM   #40

60 large. I won't risk an11,000 dollar engine over an oil wetted filter. What is the benefit? When my oem filter gets dirty enough, the indicator will tell me when to change it. Done.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK