Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #1

Cedar Creek 29RE & Chevy 2500HD combo...

Hello Forest River Forum,
I would really appreciate comments from Cedar Creek 29RE owners that are towing with a 2011 (or later) Chevy (GMC) 2500HD, 4x4, Ext.Cab, 4.10 rear axle, 18" wheels....and finally ....the 6.0 gasser. We really would like to get the CC 29RE instead of the smaller ultra light FW's. Will this truck work? Tow rating of 14,000 lbs. We are not full timing or frequenting the mountain areas, realizing the DuraMax is preferred. Another question I have is the bed rail height clearance of this 4x4 and getting the 29RE nose level. The truck bedrail is 58" high. Recommended hitch brand/models appreciated. Thank You.
jaygeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygeo1 View Post
The truck bedrail is 85" high. Recommended hitch brand/models appreciated. Thank You.
Surely eight-five inch high bedrails is a typo, right?

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
I would really appreciate comments from Cedar Creek 29RE owners that are towing with a 2011 (or later) Chevy (GMC) 2500HD, 4x4, Ext.Cab, 4.10 rear axle, 18" wheels....and finally ....the 6.0 gasser. We really would like to get the CC 29RE instead of the smaller ultra light FW's. Will this truck work? Tow rating of 14,000 lbs.[/I]
jaygeo1 - The biggest challenge to published tow ratings is that they're generally based on the truck with the fewest options, a 150 pound driver, no passengers and magically without a hitch. On most 3/4 ton trucks, your payload capacity is going to be the biggest challenge.

You should have one or both of these stickers:

The first one tells you what your maximum cargo carrying capacity is; this is useful for estimating. The second one tells you what your gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is; this is useful if you go get your truck weighed.

From the cargo carrying capacity number, you then deduct:
- how do I put this delicately... "the rest of your driver" (driver's weight minus 150 pounds)
- all passengers
- if kids in infant/child/booster seats, their weights
- anything you carry in the truck (food, snacks, drinks, coolers, firewood, chairs, small chickens, generators, tables, etc.)
- any upgrades you did after the truck was built (running boards, bed covers, bed steps, racks)
- the weight of the hitch itself

What is left over is what you can carry in pin weight from the fifth wheel.

These numbers can be estimated, but it's best to load up your truck like you're going camping (all of your family, all of your stuff, etc.) and then go hit a scale (CAT scale, quarry, dump, etc.). It'll tell you what your true weight is. If you do that, then the 2nd sticker is much more helpful. From that, you can do the simple math of what is the trucks gross weight rating (GVWR) minus what did the truck actually weigh. What's left over is what you get for pin weight.

If you don't have the camper yet, I find it best to estimate the pin weight based on the maximum that the trailer will ever weigh (GVWR or, if it isn't published yet - the unloaded vehicle weight plus the cargo carrying capacity). The "unloaded vehicle weight" (aka "dry weight") is generally fictitious as doesn't include necessities such as propane, battery(ies) or any water you carry on board. Nor does it include anything that you'll put into/onto the camper itself (all of your clothes, towels, toiletries, linens, kitchen supplies, camping gear, etc., etc. and so on). To calculate a fair estimate for pin weight, you normally want to take 20% - 25% of the gross weight. This will give you the highest amount that the pin will ever be. If you can carry that, you can carry the camper when it's holding less.

I can't tell you, YES, that truck is fine. Nor can I tell you, NO WAY, that truck isn't. You need to learn this stuff up above and do the math and then make an educated decision.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Recommended hitch brand/models appreciated. Thank You.
IMO, the B&W hitches are expensive but well worth the money. Yes, I'm an owner and rabid fan boy.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #5

Thanks, Oakman.....make that 58" !!
jaygeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Thanks, Oakman.....make that 58" !!
I have a 2012 Dodge Ram 4x4. I haven't measured, but it's pretty doggone high. Newer fifth wheels are designed with higher trucks in mind. You should be OK. I didn't have to do anything special for my Sabre, B&W hitch and truck.

Now, if you start looking at used units that are a few years older, you might need to start worrying.