Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I might be willing to go with similar but not identical.
Nope, identical. Every part is 100% the same between the two. If you would like details, I can provide them.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Nope, identical. Every part is 100% the same between the two. I got reprimanded for getting to excited about it last night, but if you would like details, I can provide them.
not quite identical. SRW 1 tons have more rear leafs than 3/4 tons. That's about only difference. Gives an extra 1600lbs of payload vs same configuration in 3/4 ton. That's a major difference in this game

Old 12-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
not quite identical. SRW 1 tons have more rear leafs than 3/4 tons. That's about only difference. Gives an extra 1600lbs of payload vs same configuration in 3/4 ton. That's a major difference in this game
Actually no. The 250 if ordered with the camper package comes with the single overload spring that the 350 comes with standard. The main spring packs are the same. The increase in payload is on paper only as the 250 is de-rated from the factory to fill a different segment of the market. So, if you live in one of the very few states that checks private vehicles for weight vs. sticker, this may be a concern if towing heavy. Otherwise, you can have a clear conscience about towing whatever a SRW 350 can with a 250 because physically they are the same... On caveat, I only know this to be true on the Ford's. I don't have any knowledge on the difference between the two on a Ram or GM...
Old 12-20-2014, 10:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Actually no. The 250 if ordered with the camper package comes with the single overload spring that the 350 comes with standard. The main spring packs are the same. The increase in payload is on paper only as the 250 is de-rated from the factory to fill a different segment of the market. So, if you live in one of the very few states that checks private vehicles for weight vs. sticker, this may be a concern if towing heavy. Otherwise, you can have a clear conscience about towing whatever a SRW 350 can with a 250 because physically they are the same... On caveat, I only know this to be true on the Ford's. I don't have any knowledge on the difference between the two on a Ram or GM...
I was speaking of GM, I didn't look at the others. I compared all the new ones on the lot.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:57 AM   #25

Taken, what your saying adds up for me. I have a 250 diesel and a 38kts Cedar Creek and bought the whole set up used from the original owner. It set a tad low when I bought it so I added a spring to each side I believe it's called "super spring" but the truck only uses it when the camper weight is applied. So it's sets level unloaded as well as loaded. I read that the only difference in a 250 and 350 was a spacer or something like that. I don't know anything about that though, just what I read. My setup tows awesome. No stress at all pulling through the mountains or along the interstates at speed and I've had tires blow on the camper and it was still very stable. I do however worry what a blowout on the rear of the truck will feel like w/o duals ! I run a TPMS on the truck and camper.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:28 AM   #26
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Nope, identical. Every part is 100% the same between the two. If you would like details, I can provide them.

I'm still having an incredibly hard time believing this. You've cross referenced every last part- nut, bolt, do-hickey, and thingamabobber? Do you have actual schematics and engineer drawings from Ford? And have real written proof from Ford that this is the case?
Old 12-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacamper1 View Post
Taken, what your saying adds up for me. I have a 250 diesel and a 38kts Cedar Creek and bought the whole set up used from the original owner. It set a tad low when I bought it so I added a spring to each side I believe it's called "super spring" but the truck only uses it when the camper weight is applied. So it's sets level unloaded as well as loaded. I read that the only difference in a 250 and 350 was a spacer or something like that. I don't know anything about that though, just what I read. My setup tows awesome. No stress at all pulling through the mountains or along the interstates at speed and I've had tires blow on the camper and it was still very stable. I do however worry what a blowout on the rear of the truck will feel like w/o duals ! I run a TPMS on the truck and camper.
It used to be that the 250 had a 2" spacer block and the 350 had a 4". This was a second difference between the two other than the upper overload spring. Many Ford guys with 250s (like myself back with my 2009) simply swapped in the taller blocks for under $100. Starting late 2014 the 250's started coming with the taller blocks as Ford was getting too many complaints about them sagging when loaded. First they put out a TSB for dealers to change the blocks on the customer's dime if they complained. Finally they gave up and just started sending the 250s out from the factory with the 4" blocks. So, now it's just the spring that the 350 comes with that differentiates the two. However, as I stated, if you order the camper package on a 250 you get that very overload spring that's on the 350 SRW standard. Bottom line is that you can order a 250 equipped identically to a 350. Prior to 2014 you couldn't, but you could easily swap the spacer blocks to achieve the same results. Now, when ordering, it's obviously easier and very cheap to just order a 350 from the get go and save your time and knuckles which is why I have a 350 this time around. I'm only pointing this out so if someone is in the market and finds the perfect 250 on the lot but is afraid of it's low payload, they can go forward knowing it's not a real number on the doorjamb.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm still having an incredibly hard time believing this. You've cross referenced every last part- nut, bolt, do-hickey, and thingamabobber? Do you have actual schematics and engineer drawings from Ford? And have real written proof from Ford that this is the case?
Of course I didn't look up every part number on the whole truck. The door panels and bolts that hold the seats down don't have much to do with payload carrying ability...LOL. What I did do was look up every pertinent load bearing part number that could possibly be different between the 250 and SRW 350. Axles, springs, differentials, brakes, frame, driveshafts, engines, u-joints, hubs, transmissions, etc..... They are all identical between the two.

Now, I was on the other side of this a while back before the guys on the Ford forums challenged me to show one difference. (They weren't going to do my homework for me...) So, I went to a Ford dealership that sells parts online and looked up everything. (I actually did it at a couple just to be sure one place didn't have inaccurate info.) On these sites, they have parts breakdowns with schematics of every part of the truck. So, if you don't believe me or as you say, have an extremely hard time believing, feel free to do the same. Lots of guys on the Ford forums have and some who were less computer literate actually went to physical parts departments on a slow day and had the parts guy do it for them. The result is always the same... No, it's not a life or death matter and some would question why it's worth the time. It's not really, but most of the things enthusiasts do is pretty unnecessary. This is why we are all on forums, whether it be RV's or trucks, learning things that aren't common knowledge. It's fun for guys like us to research and know our products inside and out!
Old 12-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #29

IMO the priority should be safety and stability instead of price, looks or accessibility. The 350/3500 diesel dually provides this. Even if it's more than I need, I would rather be over than just within the specs. You can't put a price on safety and peace of mind. I understand many have been towing with less and no problems...yet, but I am not a person who likes to engage in games of chance when it comes to safety.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Bliss View Post
IMO the priority should be safety and stability instead of price, looks or accessibility. The 350/3500 diesel dually provides this. Even if it's more than I need, I would rather be over than just within the specs. You can't put a price on safety and peace of mind. I understand many have been towing with less and no problems...yet, but I am not a person who likes to engage in games of chance when it comes to safety.
Agreed. Everyone has their own level of equipment that makes them feel safe. I feel just as safe with my SRW as you do with your DRW. It's all about what works for the individual. It's a great problem to have with all these choices available!!!