Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2019, 03:54 PM   #1

Centerline TS Hitch vs Alternatives

I currently have the older type weight distribution hitch with spring bars and a sway bar. I am looking for one that will allow me to back without having to get out of the car. Being lighter than my current heavy setup would be a bonus as well. My dealer (who is one of the better dealers as dealers go) has the Centerline TS.

From the reading I've done most seem to think it does a great job of sway control. The two major complaints I've read are that it can be difficult to hook up, and that it is very heavy. On the other hand, some say it's not that hard to hook up if you have an electric jack or that it controls sway better than most, and it seems to have slightly better reviews than some of its competitors and is better priced.

What is your experience as to how this compares to the alternatives, or what the best alternatives might be?

StlSailor

2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 248 RBS
2014 Toyota Sequoia
stlsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #2

I’ve had mine for 2 years, the more you use it the easier it is to hook up. It helps to have an electric jack
M & A Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
Multi-Slacker

We moved from a Husky Centerline (1200 lb bars) to an Andersen. Andersen is world's ahead for hookup ease and weight - about even for sway control.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #4

I went from a Fastway e2 (similar to an Equal-i-zer) to an Andersen primarily because the Andersen is so much lighter. It's also a breeze to adjust the WD tension if/when needed. So far really happy with it and I'd get another one if I were in the market for a new WDH.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:23 AM   #5

We've towed our trailer 5000 miles using the Centerline TS. It has worked flawlessly and is relatively easy to adjust and tune. Initially mine came with the 600-800 bars and once I weighed my trailer loaded upgraded to the 800-1200 bars. My recommendation is to not go by trailer weight but go by tongue weight when selecting the hitch.

As far as the above cited concerns:
1. Weight - It doesn't weigh any more or less than similar WDH. I remove the bars and then take the hitch head off separately. Is it heavy....yes....but it also connects two 7,500 pound vehicles....it better be heavy!
2. Hooking up - Again, I don't think it's any easier or harder than other WDH. In order to have the proper tension on the bars, the tongue of the trailer and rear of the tow vehicle need to be raised. Without an electric jack, it would suck but can still be done. The supplied leverage tool makes very easy work of lifting and lowering the bars safely off the perches.

Also check out prices on Amazon. The 32215, 32217 & 32218 are currently on there for about $270 with free shipping.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:52 AM   #6

All weight distribution hitches are a pain. I know some are a little better than others but they all take work. Some of the better easier ones tend to cost a lot more. I know I bought my centerline from amazon for like $280.

Yes, the hitch is heavy, yes managing the bars are kind of a pain. Especially if you back up at an angle like at a campsite. But after a few learning lessons you get the hang of it. Once it is all adjusted, it is pretty easy to attach and detach.

The only negative I have to say about the centerline is it is NOISY !!!! It has the normal clicks and pops which aren't bad but it mmmooooaaaannnnsssss and creaks a lot. Sounds like two whales making love in the back of the truck.

Otherwise it works great
Old 05-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #7

I had the fast way E2 and didn't like it, it was a 2 point only and the bed of the truck would wiggle side to side, I switched to the centerline and made a huge difference and very little noise, I think most spring bar hitches will have some noise due the sway control but I do like it, for money it does its job and after a few times with it not a problem hitching or un hitching, it is heavy but i purchased a hitch handle from CW and much easier to manage
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #8

Another + for the Andersen . so easy to set up and so lite . TH handles great with it never had sway even with trucks passing . whole set up moves as one
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:44 PM   #9

x2 for the Andersen.

I'm a first time TT owner with limited towing experience. Watched a lot of YouTube vids and settled on it due to weight, ease of installation and adjustment, and no popping/less noise. I installed it at the dealer and drove it home in 20-25 mph winds and it towed awesome no sway or bounce. Only reason I had white knuckles was because it was the first time I had ever towed anything that large and heavy.

2019 Flagstaff Microlite 25LB
2021 Silverado 3500 HD CCLB
2018 Escalade ESV
2009 CTS-V
mpouls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #10

we are new to RV and have a Roo 235S with a Centerline hitch on a Ford F150 3.5L ecoboost. Getting the bars off have been a pain unless you really raise up the tongue. You mentioned tuning the hitch. Is there any guidelines about how to do that? (The RV dealer installed my hitch and I haven't read much about it yet. I'm assuming some tweaking will be needed)
F150 XLT 3.5L EB
Tim-Nancy-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #11
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-Nancy-C View Post
we are new to RV and have a Roo 235S with a Centerline hitch on a Ford F150 3.5L ecoboost. Getting the bars off have been a pain unless you really raise up the tongue. You mentioned tuning the hitch. Is there any guidelines about how to do that? (The RV dealer installed my hitch and I haven't read much about it yet. I'm assuming some tweaking will be needed)
Start with the Husky website and then Youtube. At the end of all those videos you should be as expert as anyone else here.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #12
(o˘◡˘o)

Centerline TS

Looked at Centerline TS and Anderson, ended up with the Centerline and have been using it for the past 3 years with no complaints. It is a little noisy but at least they hear me coming. A light lube of the tongue bracket makes a big difference with the noise.

Although cost was not the only factor in my decision, I couldn't justify what the extra money was buying in the Anderson?
Old 05-11-2019, 11:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim-Nancy-C View Post
I don't know of any hitch set up where you don't have to raise up a bunch. Maybe the Andersen, but I'm not spending $3k to find out. The bars have to have a lot of tension on them to do their job and I would rather let the weight of the camper do it than fight with getting the chains on.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:56 AM   #14

Centerline TS Hitch vs Alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
I don't know of any hitch set up where you don't have to raise up a bunch. Maybe the Andersen, but I'm not spending $3k to find out. The bars have to have a lot of tension on them to do their job and I would rather let the weight of the camper do it than fight with getting the chains on.

The Andersen isn’t $3,000, I think you’re thinking of the Hensley Arrow or the ProPride hitches. The Andersen is a few hundred bucks or so and does need to be raised up quite a bit as well. Thankfully I have an electric tongue jack. [emoji41]
Old 05-11-2019, 11:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtPutnam View Post
We moved from a Husky Centerline (1200 lb bars) to an Andersen. Andersen is world's ahead for hookup ease and weight - about even for sway control.
A question for you and those who recommend Andersen -- what size and weight trailer do you pull with it? I've read that it does a marvelous job up to about a 25' trailer, but that sway is less controlled on a larger rig. So I'm needing to check that out. I have to admit the lighter weight and easier hookup are attractive.

What is it that actually makes the hookup easier on the Andersen (I need to watch a video tomorrow I imagine). Since you've had both, I expect you're a good source for that.

StlSailor

2014 Toyota Sequoia
Old 05-11-2019, 11:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Wolf 26RR View Post
Looked at Centerline TS and Anderson, ended up with the Centerline and have been using it for the past 3 years with no complaints. It is a little noisy but at least they hear me coming. A light lube of the tongue bracket makes a big difference with the noise.

Although cost was not the only factor in my decision, I couldn't justify what the extra money was buying in the Anderson?
Doesn't the friction that produces the noise also eliminate the sway? I may be confused here, but I want to be sure I understand what you're saying about lubing.

StlSailor

2014 Toyota Sequoia
Old 05-11-2019, 11:21 PM   #17

For those of you who have a Centerline, I have heard, as you mentioned, that the electric jacks help, and I have one. I have to raise up the jack quite a bit on my current WDH to get enough pressure off the spring bars to hook or unhook the chains on the bars. My sense from what I’m reading is that compared to my current older hitch the Centerline works similarly, the bars attach a bit differently and perhaps more easily, it’s still heavy, it may be a bit noisier, it probably has somewhat better sway control. And it has the huge advantage that I can back with it. Is that all about right?

I’m not sure what the problem is backing up at an angle. Could someone describe that for me? One major reason I’d like to be able to back up is that with my trailer being longer, I have to be more careful about maneuvering around gas pumps and being able to fill up and back out would sure help that problem.

StlSailor

2014 Toyota Sequoia
Old 05-12-2019, 10:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsailor View Post
A question for you and those who recommend Andersen -- what size and weight trailer do you pull with it? I've read that it does a marvelous job up to about a 25' trailer, but that sway is less controlled on a larger rig. So I'm needing to check that out. I have to admit the lighter weight and easier hookup are attractive.

What is it that actually makes the hookup easier on the Andersen (I need to watch a video tomorrow I imagine). Since you've had both, I expect you're a good source for that.

StlSailor
Tip to tail my unit is 33'11" 1150 to 1250 TW min and the Andersen works great , no sway . wouldn't use any other .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #19

I got (easily) talked into buying a WDH from my dealer at a good price, a used Husky Centerline TS 600-800 bars. They set it up for me and, AFAIK, they set it up perfect for my Explorer. Yes, it is heavy. Yes, the bars slide on A-frame mounted platforms and creak like hell on hard turns. I strongly considered lubing there to cut the noise but that friction IS part of the sway control. Yes, you need to lift the connected TV & TT with the tongue jack to put the bars on easily. There is a tool used for lifting & sliding the bars on and off. Other than the sometimes annoying noise, this WDH makes my towing easy. Caveat: this is my first WDH.
The Husky website has all the WDH manuals online and downloadable to help with proper setup. I keep my manual in my phone & iPad. Plenty of Utube videos on setting up the hitch, too.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #20
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsailor View Post

StlSailor
We pull a 34' (front hitch cup to rear bumper) Sonoma which has a GVWR of 8818 lbs. We haven't yet weighed it but I'm assuming that we are running close to GVW max which puts the TW into 1300+ lb range.

We disconnect the chains at the triangle which makes hookup a breeze. Yes, you need to watch the videos.

One point to consider is that the Andersen is, by some reports, not as good at weight transfer as some others. Therefore, if your TT is close to maxing out your TV and you are depending on the WDH to keep the TV in bounds, you will want to check things out very closely. No problems are reported when the TV is well matched to the TT. In our case, the TV has a 3300+ lb payload so the TW of 1350 is not an issue.

Hope this helps.

Tags
hitch