Old 02-29-2016, 05:37 PM   #41

Trailer aid here.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:41 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
I use a Trailer Aid with my torsion axles. However, my axles are NOT spread. It works great.
Hey Vern seeing as that is probably the same as my 2015 3008 it should work fine with mine. By the way what tires do you have on your Windjammer? I am going to take the Trail Express C tires that came with it off this year. Can't get Maxis tires where I'm at and am looking at the new Carlisle.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #43

Safest way to change a tire on a trailer is to use your leveling blocks. First loosen the lug nuts on the bad wheel put your leveling blocks (3-4 should do) in front or behind the good tire, pull or back up the trailer onto the blocks . Your bad tire will be hanging and can be easily changed.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:52 PM   #44

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackhat6mike
Trailer Aid here too. FYI, Trailer Aids come in two heights. The same base unit, but with an additional pad on top that gives about another inch and a half of lift. The standard unit would not work for me, but the type two unit works great. Amazon let me exchange the two.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
"First In, Last Out". 11B4Y
DAV, MOPH, VFW, 5/7 Cav,1/8 Cav Assoc.
11th ABN Pathfinder Co. N7MIP
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:43 PM   #45
Occasional campers

Jacking the trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejs4029 View Post
I carry a lug wrench and a bottle jack when traveling in the event I need to use the spare tire. I know your not suppose to use the axle has a jacking point...So where is the correct jacking point to use the bottle jack ?

Or do most people use a trailer aid ? I can see where that may be an easier option.
Our trailer did not come with a jack; I bought a bottle jack. Have used it under the frame, along with blocks of wood so I could get the rig high enough to allow for the droop of the torsion axle. Left a "nice" impression on the wood! (no surprise)
Old 02-29-2016, 08:50 PM   #46
Occasional campers

Miracle axles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
They are approximately 14" between axles, vice 3 to 5". Some newer units are seeing this type of set up.
I assume you meant between tires, not axles. 14" between axles would mean overlapping tires (not possible) unless the tires were less than 14" in diameter! and 3 to 5" would mean teeny tiny tires.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:58 AM   #47

I haven't seen it mentioned here, so I'll share a tip someone told me about. When changing a tire and you find yourself in a situation where passing traffic is rocking the trailer for example on the interstate, put your stabilizer jacks down to help steady the trailer. I wish I had known about that 10 years ago a changing a flat on I-65 in Alabama, I thought for sure our 32" trailer was going to be in my lap before I was done changing tires.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:46 AM   #48
Alleged curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
Hey Vern seeing as that is probably the same as my 2015 3008 it should work fine with mine. By the way what tires do you have on your Windjammer? I am going to take the Trail Express C tires that came with it off this year. Can't get Maxis tires where I'm at and am looking at the new Carlisle.
Carrier - After 3 1/2 years of service, I switched my OEM Trail Express C tires to Goodyear Marathon D's last season. Very happy with them so far.
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35)
Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:10 AM   #49

I just put a Trailer Aid in my cart on Amazon.

I was thinking, for those that still need a tad more height, couldn't you unhook from the truck and then use the tongue jack to either raise or lower the front so that the trailer pivots with the Trailer Aid being the fulcrum?

Seems like that could buy you several inches more clearance.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:17 AM   #50
AlR

Anderson Rapid Jack

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Anderson Rapid Jack. I got one a month back and love it. Lifts the tire of my Work n Play 18EC off the ground by about 4". If I'm on softer gravel I put a 1/2" square of plywood under the Rapid Jack.
My 2 cents

AlR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, trailer, travel, travel trailer