Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2016, 02:31 PM   #1

Changing Transmission Fluids

I recently had this happen to me and at the time, I was unbelieving. I called a local auto service center that I use on a regular basis to make an appointment to have the transmission flushed and replacement fluid. When asked year/make/model/engine etc, they asked how many miles I had on it. I told them 108000 or so. The person on the phone indicated that they recommended against changing the transmission oil at that mileage, since it would be possible that (and I'm paraphrasing) "you don't know what gonna get knocked off and float around in there". And that their policy was not to do these. After I picked up my chin off the floor, I said that I had followed GMC's maintenance recommendations and this would be the 3rd change. "Well, I'll have to have the manager approve it". I declined.

I then called the dealer I purchased my truck from and posed this to them. The service manager indicated that if the vehicle had not had the normal recommended intervals of service, then yes, they would recommend not changing it.

This is really all new to me. Has anyone heard of this or come across it?

BTW....temps on a hot sunny day towing at 65 mph sees the transmission running about 180F, which I don't think is too bad.

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2021: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:46 PM   #2

yes . had my tranny flushed at 50,000 mile and they ruined my tranny . while they were doing it something went wrong cause i saw trans fluid spraying out everywhere . after all said and done they replaced my tranny their cost along with changing out pulgs wires and coils that got soaked . this was quite a long time ago and now it's hard to get someone to do it . i have a drain plug in the new tranny they put in and change out a couple gallons every year with out flushing
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:55 PM   #3

I've drained the pan every other oil change. It keeps the fluid fresh without doing a complete flush.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

Changed the tranny pan to a deeper sump at 140,000 miles. Didn't flush, just changed what was in the pan. Last pan fluid change was 70,000 miles.

No issues, no blow back from 2 different shops.

The new deeper pan has a drain plug, so the pan fluid will be changed more often now.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:04 PM   #5

I took my Silverado in to get the transmission fluid changed and they changed all the fluid in everything. Rear end, everything that had fluid in it was changed, about $350 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineCampingFan View Post
I recently had this happen to me and at the time, I was unbelieving. I called a local auto service center that I use on a regular basis to make an appointment to have the transmission flushed and replacement fluid. When asked year/make/model/engine etc, they asked how many miles I had on it. I told them 108000 or so. The person on the phone indicated that they recommended against changing the transmission oil at that mileage, since it would be possible that (and I'm paraphrasing) "you don't know what gonna get knocked off and float around in there". And that their policy was not to do these. After I picked up my chin off the floor, I said that I had followed GMC's maintenance recommendations and this would be the 3rd change. "Well, I'll have to have the manager approve it". I declined.

I then called the dealer I purchased my truck from and posed this to them. The service manager indicated that if the vehicle had not had the normal recommended intervals of service, then yes, they would recommend not changing it.

This is really all new to me. Has anyone heard of this or come across it?

BTW....temps on a hot sunny day towing at 65 mph sees the transmission running about 180F, which I don't think is too bad.
What you were told is exactly correct. It's refreshing that you were told the truth, instead of walking you down a path where you might have transmission issues as they correctly mentioned.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:40 PM   #7

I recommend the same to friends. If they have not cooked the oil and the are just concerned of the tranny condition I drop the pan to check for metal/clutch material. If it looks good, new filter and top off the oil. No flushing....