Old 05-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #11

Kids are young, 5, 3, 1 boys and they got into the grease on the ball and the ends of the bars on the EZ setup. I had them covered in plastic which lasted all of 10 seconds once they got into it. I know there are other options but they seemed magnetized to the grease! They arent near the rig when hooked up, I fail to see the danger of an unhooked coupler with a lock in it.

I was avoiding the Equal-i-zer due to a camper friends many issues with his. His was older but he had a lot of issues here and there. Brackets bending, keeping track of pins/parts, couple other things. He was also annoyed at mounting the ball when first buying it with a thin-walled socket that was absurdly priced from them or trying to find one locally.

We camp several times a year from small state parks to Disney. Vast majority far and away are the basic EZ-Lift style. After that would be the Dual Cam and I have only seen a couple Equalizers. I think I have seen as many Hensley/Pro Pride setups as I have Equalizers and almost always on an Airstream. I recall seeing one older Blue Ox and have never seen another Andersen. I get people asking about ours every time we camp.

I'll look more into the Reese DC/Equalizer/Blue Ox. They all seem to have their pros and cons just like any other hitch.

CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #12

I am in the market for a WDH and I am leaning toward the Equalizer purely b/c the sway control is built into the unit, not a separate piece (esp one that you have to remove if you are backing up). I will be looking into the Blue Ox and the Reese before I make a decision, though.

Good luck!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_peases View Post
I am in the market for a WDH and I am leaning toward the Equalizer purely b/c the sway control is built into the unit, not a separate piece (esp one that you have to remove if you are backing up). I will be looking into the Blue Ox and the Reese before I make a decision, though.

Good luck!
My Equalizer is going to be delivered to my house tomorrow. I will install it in about 3 weeks when I get back to the states. I am upgrading from a basic Curt WDH and dual friction bars. I also will have the Prodigy P3 delivered tomorrow. I cannot wait for Fort Wilderness in June.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #14

I ordered the Blue Ox Swaypro 1000 from etrailer. Everybody was the same price and they have good service so went with them. Got here yesterday and that is one heavy beast. Waiting on a socket so I can get the ball on, its fully enclosed so I cant get a wrench on there. Looks very well made and love the near grease free design, I only need to worry about the ball being exposed (the pivot points are enclosed).

Picking up my SP295 from dealer in a few days so I can compare vs. the Andersen. TT is completely empty as we thought it needed to go back to FR for repairs so it will be very light. Its a 1.5 hour drive so plenty of time to see how it does. Have a 6 hr trip to FL coming up so that will be the true test. Hoping their new design really works for controlling sway. I never had it in the past.

CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote