Old 05-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #1

Question Cheap WD hitch question

Hey everyone - I did search and the threads popping up in results were all over the place as far as trying to find relevant info. Sorry if this has been beaten to death.

My TV & TT are in my sig. 6400# loaded up, 800# tongue weight. This is all from CAT scale numbers.

I originally had a basic EZ Lift WD system. Single friction sway control, 1000# bars. There was nothing wrong with it. Sway wasnt an issue either unless it got really windy out, I really dont think my setup would sway with no controls on it - it just tows nice out back.

I started doing some research since I was sick of the grease my kids were getting into and some other things and read that I really should have had two friction bars on there at minimum for my length of trailer. Doing more reading I saw that some places dont recommend those dual bars period for trailers my length.

I found the Andersen WD system and decided to try it out. Love many things about it but I cant get enough weight moved forward (a known issue) so its coming off. The EZ Lift is gone as well, we ended up giving it to my in-laws when their old Reese was stolen at a CG. We are back to square one.

Since I had no issues with the EZ Lift design other than the grease, could I really go back to that style and just add another friction bar? It adds more pcs and pins but its inexpensive and that style has been around since the beginnings of WD. I have looked at the Reese Dual Cam, the Equal-i-zer and the Blue Ox Swaypro. Out of those the Blue Ox would be my first choice. Simple design, not much grease, no noise, no pins or other things to lose. It would be over double the cost of a EZ with two sway controls on it. Trying to decide if its worth or any of those are worth double, they are all essentially the same price.

Thoughts?

CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #2

FWIW.... I just got the BlueOx Sway Pro, 1K lbs bars for my setup.... couldn't be happier (since the dealer 'gave' it to me after having issues with a Reese Pro Series and single friction bar)
I also have a 2010 Tundra DC TRD 5.7L ... few parts and pieces, got the "sway control" dialed in at 60lbs torque..... happeh happeh happeh...

BlueOX SwayPro (used when hauling cart too)
TomStacey616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomStacey616 View Post
FWIW.... I just got the BlueOx Sway Pro, 1K lbs bars for my setup.... couldn't be happier (since the dealer 'gave' it to me after having issues with a Reese Pro Series and single friction bar)
I also have a 2010 Tundra DC TRD 5.7L ... few parts and pieces, got the "sway control" dialed in at 60lbs torque..... happeh happeh happeh...
The new Swaypro did away with those bolts last year. I assume you also have that thumb screw to adjust head tilt? That is also gone, the tilt is pretty extreme and cast in place now. Its part of their new design. I really like it the more I read into it as do some others on RV.net. Very simple and clean.

Happy to hear you like it. Those rotating latches look nice to pull the chain up.
CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #4

If you want to save a few $$, would the Reese dual cam work for you? We got one on ebay for $450 with free shipping.

You don't have to lube the cams unless you find the noise bothersome. The noise (creaks, groans and popping) is only noticeable on sharp turns and when backing up and turning. Reese says to use only vaseline on the cams (if needed) but it is clean stuff at least and you don't need much. Am happy with the performance and our TT is about 29' and 6500 lbs and pulled by a 3/4 ton. I was worried about losing one of the snap-up pins so I bought 4 spares.

Would have loved to go with a Propride, Blue Ox, etc. but being married to an account is not easy and even the Reese hitch was a tough sell.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

First off - Nice trailer! We looked at that model in 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHD Dad View Post

Since I had no issues with the EZ Lift design other than the grease, could I really go back to that style and just add another friction bar?
The bottom line for me is the length and weight of your trailer. I do not believe that a basic WDH with one or even two sway control bars are appropriate for your Surveyor at 34' and 6,400lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHD Dad View Post
I have looked at the Reese Dual Cam, the Equal-i-zer and the Blue Ox Swaypro. Out of those the Blue Ox would be my first choice. Simple design, not much grease, no noise, no pins or other things to lose. It would be over double the cost of a EZ with two sway controls on it. Trying to decide if its worth or any of those are worth double, they are all essentially the same price.
Each of those is very good! Just my $0.02 again, but I would never go back from my Equal-i-zer to an EZ just because the Equalizer is more convenient and easy to setup. The Equal-i-zer is $447 delivered from RVW and I don't think an Eaz Lift is half that (maybe it is idk). I know its more $$ right now, but its worth it in relative comparison and they're really not that much.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #6

I use the reese DC. I pull a 34' TT with a 3/4 ton 6.0. I have no problems unless I do not hook it up right. Had a reese pro set it up and show me correct way so I could record. TT wt is about 8500 loaded. See no need to change. My problem is I forget its there.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #7

This is where I would like someone to chime in...

If you use the add-on friction sway control bars, one or two, they work by a constant friction force and resisting movement in either direction. But the dual cam or higher end hitches like Blue Ox and Propride control the sway by self-centering action.

I am curious as to the difference in the "feel" of the sway control and how the TV and trailer react. I am guessing that there is quite a difference? Wouldn't the less costly add-on sway control bars in a sense require you to still take some action to maintain a straight line?
Old 05-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
daydreaming about camping

interesting question, I went from a single friction bar (which was true madness in retrospect to even leave the dealer lot that way) to the Reece DC.

The DC will actively work to straighten the trailer. I can feel as a semi passes the trailer wanting to move, and then pushing the truck a little. I greatly prefer this to the friction style. Strong winds push the entire rig which it makes much easier to compensate, the rear is locked to the front.

I genuinely believe that a Henley would be even better, but cannot invest the money to find out. Am very happy with my Reece DC.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

As jeeplj8 posted, the Reese Dual Cam tends to keep you in a straight line. The only downside to that is that I feel the setup trying to keep me straight when going into a curve........no biggie. At the end of the curve, the Dual Cam helps me to get back on the straight and narrow.

The other "cheap" (non Hensley or ProPride) WDHs (Equal-i-zer 4 pt., Blue Os Sway Pro, Anderson, etc.) with integrated sway control tend to keep the TV and trailer at what ever the current angle of the TV and trailer is. So going into a curve, there will be some resistance (but probably not as much as the Dual Cam), and coming out of a curve there is going to be some resistance, and of course some resistance every time you need to make a steering wheel correction.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #10

A friction sway controller, partnered with my Single Bar 400 WDH, was great for my 3000 lbs popup. And for a larger trailer, having to have 2 friction sway controllers is certainly cheap. You can get them at Harbor Freight for under $40 IIRC. But 2 snap up brackets, pluse a friction SC, plus another friction SC....that's a LOT of work. And that's a lot of equipment to move around once you get where you're going. No thank you.

Equil-i-zer is not much more money, and takes no more effort to engage than a snap-up type of WDH, but you save the time not having to mess with the friction SC (x2). As far as the mess, I don't see any mess. I put a little grease now and then where the bars pivot in the head. No grease at the L-brackets. If you can't stand a little noise, get the plastic jackets. I did, and performance is still outstanding.

As far as the kids getting into any grease: If they are too young to understand the concept of not touching the grease, then they are too young to get near the coupler anyway. It's dangerous.

Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote