Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
jbj

Check my sticker.

Hey guys. I am interested in a Stealth AK2612. With a tongue weight of just over 1100 lbs (empty), would I be over?

If I understand it correctly, with the bottom sticker, that would only leave me 165 lbs of cargo/people/gear. Even though the truck is technically rated at 11,300 and the trailer loaded will be well under that, it would still exceed the capabilities of the truck.

Or is this just with the stock tires? If I were to go with the heavier duty tires made for 3/4 ton trucks (ten ply), would that help increase the allowable payload? What about air bags? Would those increase the payload as well? Obviously, a bigger truck would be great, but I am trying to figure out everything for the truck that I have.

Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks.
jbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Missing Link

To truly increase payload capacity you would also need a heavier axle weight rating and go to a heavier rear suspension. Also check your hitch to see what the max tongue weight it's rated for.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The 1265 lb payload listed on your sticker is with full fuel and a 150 lb driver...nothing else. Passengers, gear, dealer add ons like step bars and tonneau cover would be deducted from that number. I don't think that you'll have enough capacity for that amount of tongue weight, even if that was the loaded weight.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
jbj

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the help. So air bags would not increase the available payload on my truck? I know it would help with the ride and not allow sag, but would it allow for weight? Also, how about a load distributing hitch? Even then, the one I saw listed was 1200 lbs. I think I'd eat that up pretty quick. How about the tires? Those alone won't increase the allowable weight would it?

I've pretty much given up on the Stealth AK2612, but now I'm just curious.\

Thanks again guys.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Some further thoughts...

The tongue weight on toy haulers can be very different whether there's weight in the garage or not. Just pure speculation but the additions (propane, batteries, etc) that would increase tongue weight may be offset with what you have in the garage, but as I said earlier, even if the loaded tongue weight was 1100 lb, you'll be very close if not over the truck's GVWR and RAWR.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
jbj

Thanks again for all your help Dave_Monica. In this thread and the other one as well. I really appreciate it.

cyclepuck as well.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #7
Missing Link

If tongue weight is to much just get another toy to put in back. Win win
Old 07-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #8
jbj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepuck View Post
If tongue weight is to much just get another toy to put in back. Win win
LOL, I think the Polaris 850 and three dirt bikes MIGHT just be enough, but now that I figured out that I have 1500 lbs less capacity than I thought, I think I am SOL.

If I can just talk the wife in to that Black F-350 Platinum........