Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
Done with this

Check that tow vehicle!!

I just changed the cabin air filters in my Titan. Gadzooks!!! Please change the filters in your tow vehicle!!!!! I'm glad they were in there though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1124.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	579.8 KB
ID:	88996  

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
Done with this

These are where your a/c gets it's air through in your truck...What you breathe while traveling...

Old 09-17-2015, 02:19 PM   #3

Assuming you only ever travel with the windows rolled up. The moment you roll the windows down you let all that stuff in to your vehicle anyway.

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:36 PM   #4

Assuming the truck even has them. Many vehicles no longer have them.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #5

Cabin Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Assuming the truck even has them. Many vehicles no longer have them.
You are so right. My 2011 Silverado has no cabin filter and to make matters even more confusing it has not inline fuel filter anymore. Only the sock in the tank is used. With the price of clearing or replacing fuel injectors I totally do not understand taking the inline fuel filter away from t truck application.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:34 AM   #6

Never owned a rig with a cab filter.

Would be worthless to me any way as I drive with one window open, even in the winter to keep the windows from fogging over.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:40 AM   #7

My truck doesn't have a cabin filter....... but I was in a dealership one day & saw a nasty cabin filter on the counter............ it was full of cat food ........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:53 AM   #8
Done with this

I like having a filter. All that crap doesn't plug up the cores, and doesn't blow all that mess in my face...

Old 09-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1fan View Post
I like having a filter. All that crap doesn't plug up the cores, and doesn't blow all that mess in my face...
Never had a problem with stuff flying in my face and don't believe I have ever had a vehicle with a cabin filter. But like many, I travel with the windows open, and carry along two large fur shedding dogs; so a filter does me squat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanddhall View Post
You are so right. My 2011 Silverado has no cabin filter and to make matters even more confusing it has not inline fuel filter anymore. Only the sock in the tank is used. With the price of clearing or replacing fuel injectors I totally do not understand taking the inline fuel filter away from t truck application.
It was explained to me that after the late 70s, fuel filters were generally not needed. I can remember having prior 80 model vehicles that had to have fuel filters replaced when they clogged. Since the 80s, I can not remember ever having a problem with a vehicle whether it had or didn't have an inline filter.

From what I was told, prior to the late 70s, in ground fuel tanks were metal, they rusted, causing holes, and dirt as well as rust was pumped through the service station fuel system into the vehicle. I can remember in those days, the fuel pumps had large filters on the hose, just before the nozzle; not there anymore.

Also, vehicle fuel tanks were metal, and could get some rust in them if a lot of condensation got into the tank.

But after the late 70s, the EPA required that ALL in ground fuel tanks be fiberglass; thus no rusting, no rusting through, etc. Fuel pumped into vehicle is clean. Also vehicles went to plastic tanks, plastic or SS lines thus stopping any in vehicle debris.

I have to say, I have never had to have my in-tank fuel pump pulled to have the sock filter at the pickup cleaned. And honestly, cannot think of anyone who has. I'm sure there are some out there, and I'm sure that there are some times that some debris could get into the lines.

But the biggest problem I have ever heard of is the incorrect dropping of a fuel load into an in-ground tank by a tanker. Couple years ago, when living in Moab, a Maverik fuel tanker dropped a load of diesel into a regular gas in-ground tank. Ironic part was that station; on the northside of Moab, did not sell diesel fuel.

So not saying no filter is good, just saying why I was told they are no longer used on the majority of vehicles (gas engines...can't speak for diesels). Information came from a few auto engineers I lived next to when living in SE MI.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 09-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Never had a problem with stuff flying in my face and don't believe I have ever had a vehicle with a cabin filter. But like many, I travel with the windows open, and carry along two large fur shedding dogs; so a filter does me squat.

It was explained to me that after the late 70s, fuel filters were generally not needed. I can remember having prior 80 model vehicles that had to have fuel filters replaced when they clogged. Since the 80s, I can not remember ever having a problem with a vehicle whether it had or didn't have an inline filter.

From what I was told, prior to the late 70s, in ground fuel tanks were metal, they rusted, causing holes, and dirt as well as rust was pumped through the service station fuel system into the vehicle. I can remember in those days, the fuel pumps had large filters on the hose, just before the nozzle; not there anymore.

Also, vehicle fuel tanks were metal, and could get some rust in them if a lot of condensation got into the tank.

But after the late 70s, the EPA required that ALL in ground fuel tanks be fiberglass; thus no rusting, no rusting through, etc. Fuel pumped into vehicle is clean. Also vehicles went to plastic tanks, plastic or SS lines thus stopping any in vehicle debris.

I have to say, I have never had to have my in-tank fuel pump pulled to have the sock filter at the pickup cleaned. And honestly, cannot think of anyone who has. I'm sure there are some out there, and I'm sure that there are some times that some debris could get into the lines.

But the biggest problem I have ever heard of is the incorrect dropping of a fuel load into an in-ground tank by a tanker. Couple years ago, when living in Moab, a Maverik fuel tanker dropped a load of diesel into a regular gas in-ground tank. Ironic part was that station; on the northside of Moab, did not sell diesel fuel.

So not saying no filter is good, just saying why I was told they are no longer used on the majority of vehicles (gas engines...can't speak for diesels). Information came from a few auto engineers I lived next to when living in SE MI.
My 2010 has two fuel filters and a water separator.....
Old 09-20-2015, 02:21 PM   #11

But diesel fuel is less expensive now than gas

Old 09-20-2015, 02:47 PM   #12

Quote:
But diesel fuel is less expensive now than gas
Not here!!!

On 9/15/15 I paid $ 2.75.9 for diesel, on 9/16/15 paid $2.72.9 for regular unleaded at the same station.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:47 PM   #13

Diesel is more expensive than gas in Texas.
I Roo The Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:16 PM   #14
Done with this

This thread took a left at Albuquerque.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1fan View Post
This thread took a left at Albuquerque.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:06 PM   #16

Not around here...
Shell 2.85 reg / 2.59 diesel
Sinclair 2.80 reg / 2.65 diesel
Pretty much the same spread at others in the area....

Tags
tow vehicle