Old 07-28-2019, 09:30 PM   #1

Check your Hensley Hitch

As a host on Boondockers Welcome I recently had a visitor with a one year old Hensley hitch that broke completely off while turning up my driveway allowing their Airstream to fall to the ground.
Once the part was removed from the vehicle and the trailer I noticed the welds were so thin that some were only 1/16Ē thick yet the metal was 1/4Ē and one weld was missing altogether. The owner took several pictures then I straightened it and welded it correctly so they could at least get going.
This is the part that is 1/4 plate welded to 2Ē square solid stock.

aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:53 AM   #2

Iíve had a Hensley. Thatís really scary.

And completely unacceptable.

Rdeejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:03 AM   #3

Do you have photos of the thin welds and missing weld?
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo10-210 View Post
Do you have photos of the thin welds and missing weld?
x2

"Is this a game show?"
sugarray40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:38 AM   #5
Sham183

I have heard that people say the welds have been a issue but never heard or thought of something like this happening. Hopefully hensely will take care of the issue for them. Glad it happened where it did and nobody was hurt.
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:23 PM   #6

Hensley Hitch

I am sure that bad weld was an exception. I have had a Hensley on two trailers in a row. The workmanship is superb! I would not pull a large TT without a Hensley! Super reliable and easy to setup and use!
rdolan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:17 PM   #7

Hensley hitch

I have sent an email through the website to the hitch owner requesting the pictures she took. I didn’t take the time to get my own pictures as the trailer was blocking the driveway and the road.
They had just come off of windy highway 49 with 200’ drop offs.
It wasn’t just one weld but most of them. It worked for a year and 3 months but was flexing as some rust was visible in one weld. I called the factory and they looked up and verified the customer and told me they should contact the factory.
I thought now that they knew about it they should contact the owner.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:55 PM   #8
DDC

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_25b9.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	211159

Which part are you describing? I used one of these for near twenty years and the only piece I ever replaced was the locator pins for the bars, one of the springs had broken. I'd love to know which part as Im trying to visualize a 1/4 inch thick piece that is crucial to holding it together.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircommuter View Post
This is the part that is 1/4 plate welded to 2Ē square solid stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post

Which part are you describing? I used one of these for near twenty years and the only piece I ever replaced was the locator pins for the bars, one of the springs had broken. I'd love to know which part as Im trying to visualize a 1/4 inch thick piece that is crucial to holding it together.
As far as I know, the ONLY 2" square bar stock is the stinger... So the I suspect he is talking about the "flanges" for the over center latches. That is if it was a Hensley and not a PP. There are a couple more parts on the PP stinger that could fit this description. Though on my PP those welds seem very robust.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Propride Hitch Bar.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	211161  
Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:10 PM   #10
CGK
Camping with Labs

Thanks for the heads-up. Really sorry to hear they had an issue, whether Hensley or PP or anything else for that matter. I've had my Hensley on 3 TTs thus far, with no issues other than a bent strut that they covered under warranty. We buy these top-of-the-line hitches for safety, which is certainly not delivered if this happens. Never heard of an incident like this happening to a Hensley owner; but if it was indeed a Hensley, they should call Terry Powell, Engineer, to describe what happened and arrange for a replacement (800) 410-6580 ext. 117). These folks are great to work with - I'm sure they will make it right (if it's a Hensley, of course). Good luck!
CGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:11 PM   #11

Hensley hitch

Yes the front piece made of 2 pieces of 2” square solid stock welded together with 1/4 flat stock.
You can see what happened when I called them but I am not the purchaser. They did verify that they sold her the hitch. Hopefully the lady that bought it will send me the photos, I don’t have her direct email.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
As far as I know, the ONLY 2" square bar stock is the stinger... So the I suspect he is talking about the "flanges" for the over center latches. That is if it was a Hensley and not a PP. There are a couple more parts on the PP stinger that could fit this description. Though on my PP those welds seem very robust.

That's not a Hensley. Hensley "stingers" are one piece welded, no bolts.
Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:42 PM   #13

Hensley hitch

Who said it had bolts?
Read all the posts Hensley verified they sold her the hitch.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oafdawg View Post
That's not a Hensley. Hensley "stingers" are one piece welded, no bolts.
You're right, I posted a picture of a PP stinger to show the difference and added weld points. The PP stinger is adjustable to accommodate moving to different TVs or differences in heights of the trailer and TV.

I'm surprised that Hensley welds two pieces of 2" stock together to make the stinger - especially if if ends up being a straight connection.
Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2019 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:19 AM   #15

Hensley Hitch

The 2Ē square stock pieces were not parallel and were overlapping.
I didnít realize the previous person was referring to the photo.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:43 AM   #16
DDC

Name:	402-2-inch-Hensley-Hitch-Bar.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	211208

So it's the drop bar that came apart now I see, I was trying to think where on the actual hitch there was 1/4 inch, I used several of these through the years and I used to check it regularly, even had one blasted and magna-fluxed because I didn't like the look of the welds, but that one was ok.
I'm glad it didn't happen while on a highway, it should also be reported to https://www.nhtsa.gov as it is a serious safety failure and they can issue a recall but only if people do their bit and report dangerous issues i hope she does Hensley make a great product and it would be a shame if this type of issue gets out of hand.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:53 AM   #17

Hensley hitch

That is the part. Actually the welds in the picture do not look the best if you expand it and look closer.
I don’t know what they rate that hitch for but an Airstream is not a real heavy trailer.
The worst thing is when I called Hensley they said the owner should call them. If it was my business I would be calling the owner, sending certified mail to the owner and emailing the owner. They need to check others made at that time also.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:53 AM   #18

Used a Hensley stinger with a 4 inch drop on 3 trailers with 1000# plus tongue weight for 12 years, 5 to 7 thousand miles per year without any problems. Switched to a straight stinger this season. That is not to say they might not be making them like they use to. Hensley is good about taking care of things under their lifetime warranty. Had some grease zero/bar retainer damaged by dealer when changing hitch over to a different rig, sent no charge (hitch was 12 years old). Be on the safe side, check your welds, I do every time I hook up.

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
You're right, I posted a picture of a PP stinger to show the difference and added weld points. The PP stinger is adjustable to accommodate moving to different TVs or differences in heights of the trailer and TV.

I'm surprised that Hensley welds two pieces of 2" stock together to make the stinger - especially if if ends up being a straight connection.

Yes, the Hensley "stinger" is basically custom made for the original vehicle and trailer. So if you change trailers or tow vehicles you're prolly going to have to buy a whole new Hensley stinger. The ProPride "stinger" on the other hand is completely adjustable no matter what TV you're using.
Oafdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:35 PM   #20
CGK
Camping with Labs

Unless they have changed their policy, Hensley will exchange your old stinger for another one if you change TTs or TVs. The Arrow is rated at 14,000 lbs, but only 1400 lbs on the tongue. I spoke with them about the tongue weight, as I am close to that now with a TT that loaded weighs 9100 lbs. Their engineer said the hitch will carry much more than 1400 lbs, but they seldom see more on the tongue so that's where they've left the numbers.

CGK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check, hensley, hitch