Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2018, 08:44 AM   #1

Chevrolet changes dinghy towing specifications.

We own a 2017 Chevrolet Spark and we use it as our “toad”. It is a stick shift and we place in neutral to tow it on all fours. This was the only reason we bought this car, it could be towed four down as per their owner's manual.

We just received a letter from Chevrolet modifying the owner’s manual and advising us that the vehicle must be towed with the negative battery connection off. Reason being that the vehicle’s “electronic stability control (ESC)” could cause one of the wheels to lock while following a curve road or in a turn.

If we take the battery off, we have no signal or position lights and let’s not mention that the auxiliary brake system needs towed-vehicle electric power to run.

Any ideas on how to supply electricity to the lights and brake system while isolating the ESC system?

Is it a good idea to disconnect the ESC system?

Your ideas and suggestions will be appreciated!

The RVPhD
TheRVPhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:19 AM   #2

Is there a fuse you can pull for the ESC system? Be a bit of a pain to remove and put back all the time, but might be the simplest solution.

Also, I would contact Chevrolet.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:40 AM   #3

Thank you for your prompt reply.

No, there is no dedicated fuse for the ESC.

I should note that I tow the car with the ignition on "accessory" so I can use the vehicle's internet hotspot ($20 monthly for unlimited data). It can also be towed without the key being in the ignition as the steering wheel never locks.

Thanks again!

RVPhD
TheRVPhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRVPhD View Post
We own a 2017 Chevrolet Spark and we use it as our “toad”. It is a stick shift and we place in neutral to tow it on all fours. This was the only reason we bought this car, it could be towed four down as per their owner's manual.

We just received a letter from Chevrolet modifying the owner’s manual and advising us that the vehicle must be towed with the negative battery connection off. Reason being that the vehicle’s “electronic stability control (ESC)” could cause one of the wheels to lock while following a curve road or in a turn.

If we take the battery off, we have no signal or position lights and let’s not mention that the auxiliary brake system needs towed-vehicle electric power to run.

Any ideas on how to supply electricity to the lights and brake system while isolating the ESC system?

Is it a good idea to disconnect the ESC system?

Your ideas and suggestions will be appreciated!

The RVPhD

If you have been towing it without a problem I would continue towing and not look back
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:41 PM   #5

No dedicated fuse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRVPhD View Post
Thank you for your prompt reply.

No, there is no dedicated fuse for the ESC.

Thanks again!

RVPhD
"No dedicated fuse" means that there are other things on the same fuse. Maybe something you don't care about like dome lights or heater/AC fan. Poke around on the internet and see if you can find a wiring diagram for the car and see if you can find either:
  • What fuse covers the ESC and what else is on it, or
  • Whether there is an easily accessible underhood connecter you disconnect

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
Air Force Retired

I tend to agree with W5CI and continue to do what you have been doing. I tow a 2012 Chevy Cruze manual with 4 down and haven't had any problems in 6 years of towing. I do have to pull 4 fuzes specified in the towing instructions (I don't actually know what systems are involved) and put the key in the ACC position. I continue to have all lights, etc. I have a InvisiBrake to engage the toad brakes and everything works fine. The InvisiBrake has a trickle charge for the toad battery.
poppagary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:09 PM   #7

A little reconfiguring...

I would not ignore Chevrolet's warning.

The toad's invisibrake and running/turn/stop lights should get power from the coach thru a coiled cable, rather than from the toad's battery. Then while towing you can disconnect the toad's battery per Chevy's instructions.

You can provide a hot spot using a cellphone rather than the toad's system.
geoff270ssf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:13 PM   #8

Your 2012 Cruze does not have Electronic Stability Control. The newer model is a whole other animal...
geoff270ssf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:40 PM   #9

If Chevy sent out a warning it had to happen to someone. Do not ignore.
Jdb95661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:09 PM   #10

In sending out the warning they are excusing their liability. I would contact Chevrolet and tell them the the vehicle was purchased to be used a toad and ask them exactly how you can do this. The problem has happened more than once or they wouldn't be sending out l notifications.
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:24 PM   #11

Your fuses are probably NOT labeled ESC. On my 2017 Traverse, they are labeled ABS.

For about $25/yr, you can access the shop manual info and wiring diagrams for your car here:

http://www.alldatadiy.com/

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:41 PM   #12

pull fuse #9. 30amp and fuse 46. 50 amp under the hood. they are the two that feed power to ebcm(antilock brakes). they are both in the under hood fuse panel. you may end up with a antilock brake light on but if you turn off the key and replace the fuses then drive the car a few miles the light will go out.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagary View Post
I tend to agree with W5CI and continue to do what you have been doing. I tow a 2012 Chevy Cruze manual with 4 down and haven't had any problems in 6 years of towing. I do have to pull 4 fuzes specified in the towing instructions (I don't actually know what systems are involved) and put the key in the ACC position. I continue to have all lights, etc. I have a InvisiBrake to engage the toad brakes and everything works fine. The InvisiBrake has a trickle charge for the toad battery.
I would tend to disagree on doing the status quo. It's a 2017 and still under warranty. Towing without knowing a solution could void a warranty-especially if something happened while towing. I do agree with contacting GM for their solution.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff270ssf View Post

The toad's invisibrake and running/turn/stop lights should get power from the coach thru a coiled cable, rather than from the toad's battery. Then while towing you can disconnect the toad's battery per Chevy's instructions.

X2
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:43 PM   #15
Tiltin Hilton

Your best solution would be to do it the old fashion way. Install additional lights in existing lamp housings, run a separate battery to power your brake. Use the 7 way to wire from coach to new lights.
drmoparPHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:58 PM   #16

I would pull the fuses as described prior and never turn the ignition to on position, even if you do get an abs light it should go back off after the fuses are reinstalled and you drive the car.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff270ssf View Post

If the OP is using a brake controller in the toad, the toad battery is required for the breakaway switch to activate.

For the OP, check your manual to see if there is a traction control disconnect switch on the shift console.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6A8E&FORM=VIRE

If that doesn't work, there is a 25 amp fuse for traction control, abs, cruise control that would disable the stabilitrack.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:24 PM   #18

I have a 2016 spark 5 speed and ls no frills was bought because I wanted to tow it,and the manual stated it could be towed.along with having head mechanic verify info my spark has ESC also and never had issues as stated as for the lights...I wired thru the 7 pin from coach power to 1157 bulb sockets I installed in rear tail lites ...drilled holes and inserted socket hardware,now I have a Blue Ox Patriot brake box which I plug into acessory plug, key on Acc every 6hrss I start car to charge

locoengnr11@aol.com to contact me
locoengnr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:07 PM   #19

Unhappy 2017 Chevy Spark activated brakes on curves

Hi, we towed Sparky down from New England to Florida and actually had the ESC brake come on whilst entering an interstate ramp twice, and once on a back road curve. It's not fun to hear that brake squealing and the tire dragging behind you. I called Invisibrake and they have Part #776 for battery disconnect which they recommended be installed. So we're trying that and will update. Not too pleased with Chevy as we chose the Spark for ease of flat tow and the Invisibrake to go along with that. Hopefully the battery disconnect will be installed this week as we are headed back up to New England next week...
Flying Scot #1146
jojoshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Hi, we towed Sparky down from New England to Florida and actually had the ESC brake come on whilst entering an interstate ramp twice, and once on a back road curve. It's not fun to hear that brake squealing and the tire dragging behind you. I called Invisibrake and they have Part #776 for battery disconnect which they recommended be installed. So we're trying that and will update. Not too pleased with Chevy as we chose the Spark for ease of flat tow and the Invisibrake to go along with that. Hopefully the battery disconnect will be installed this week as we are headed back up to New England next week...
Hi jojoshort, did you get your towing problem resolved? I have the same vehicles as your. In my Spark setup by Roadmaster tow bar, Light and SMI break system. When towing Key out, gear in neutral, turn off radio system and SMI switch on and tow. I've towed it for over 600 miles. It works fine. I hope it help.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, towing