Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2015, 09:40 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
CWSWine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhillfarm View Post
That must be the famous VW diesel! 😀


2014 XLR27HFS
2006 Ford F450 Diesel Dually
2015 Harley Freewheeler Trike (Tara)
2004 Harley Road King Custom (Gemma)
Of coarse it is - we all know that diesel can pull more than gas engine.
__________________

__________________
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D Diesel Pusher 41 foot. CC 5740
2017 Solitude 310GK-R Pick Up Oct 24th.
2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Cargo Capacity 3722 lbs
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:55 PM   #82
Georgia Frog Rally 2018
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 10,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
If you tow 4000 miles per year.

4000 miles gas towing divided by 8 gals per mile = 500 gals of fuel.
4000 miles diesel towing divided by 11 gals per mile = 363 gals of fuel
So the diesel with the better millage save 137 gals of fuel over gas towing.

Diesel can go longer between oil changes.

More than pays for the difference in services cost between gas and diesel that are about 40% more than gas. And that is the rest of the story...
Hardly believe diesel goes further on oil changes. The new ones are set up to be changed at 7500 same as gas. Also takes more oil than a gas. Plus fuel filter ETC ETC. Plus you have to add the additive at the same time. BTW who said 8 I get 9.4 mpg. Now money wise I'm still cheaper than diesel Later RJD
__________________

__________________
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:56 PM   #83
Senior Member
 
drittal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: E. MT
Posts: 483
That VeeDub diesel forgot the 747 was back there until he looked in the mirror.
__________________
drittal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:10 PM   #84
fx2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhillfarm View Post
That must be the famous VW diesel! 😀


2014 XLR27HFS
2006 Ford F450 Diesel Dually
2015 Harley Freewheeler Trike (Tara)
2004 Harley Road King Custom (Gemma)

Famous or INfamous?
__________________
2014 Surveyor SC321BHTS
2016 Nissan Titan XD SL4x4 Cummins
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:14 PM   #85
Senior Member
 
Gleaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Idaho
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlbalentine View Post
Well I tried to buy a new 2015 RAM 2500 Diesel the cost was just out of reach for me.
If I choose to down size to a Chevy 2500 big V8 gas or a Ram 2500 big V8 gas, will wither of these be capable of towing my 10,000lb dry/12000lb GVW?
The trailer will be a 5th wheel.

The Diesel for around $50k but I can get the big V8 for $44K. Help!
Congrats,
Instead of settling for something you "hoped" might work, you got something that will tow with ease and has a tranny, exhaust brake combo that will make you wonder why you ever considered a gas motor.
Enjoy.
__________________
2015 nights camped (54)
Gleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:16 PM   #86
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
If you tow 4000 miles per year.

4000 miles gas towing divided by 8 gals per mile = 500 gals of fuel.
4000 miles diesel towing divided by 11 gals per mile = 363 gals of fuel
So the diesel with the better millage save 137 gals of fuel over gas towing.

Diesel can go longer between oil changes.

More than pays for the difference in services cost between gas and diesel that are about 40% more than gas. And that is the rest of the story...

Fuel filters every second oil change.
2 of them. Avg $150.

Also, don't forget the $10k in injectors, when yours go south. ( from you doubling the oil change interval)
Or the high pressure fuel pump.
That's about 4 grand.
Dpf filter.. 3k.

I could do a whole crate engine with my v10 for about 5 grand.

Don't get me wrong. If I could justify always have a diesel under warranty, I would have it in a second.
Till then, I'll stick with my 6.8L V10.


2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 4
Kenny kustom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:18 PM   #87
Senior Member
 
CWSWine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Hardly believe diesel goes further on oil changes. The new ones are set up to be changed at 7500 same as gas. Also takes more oil than a gas. Plus fuel filter ETC ETC. Plus you have to add the additive at the same time. BTW who said 8 I get 9.4 mpg. Now money wise I'm still cheaper than diesel Later RJD
My for diesel manual says don't exceed 10,000 miles and 1 year. My gas said don't exceed 6 months or 7500. Both said go by the oil life monitor for oil changes. My Ford diesel manual says don't go by mileage go oil life monitor and save resources.

Using the same 4000 miles of towing and using 9.4 for gas and 11 for diesel (mine normally get 12.5) that still 62 gals less fuel for diesel. Even figuring the gas at 2.15 a gallon and diesel at 2.35 gal 78 bucks difference in just 4000 miles of towing and Ford has diesel oil changes for 59.00 and 89.00 including tire rotation. I don't use any additives other than DEF so the price would be less than Big Mac meal. Small price for 440 HP and 865 LBS of torque.
__________________
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D Diesel Pusher 41 foot. CC 5740
2017 Solitude 310GK-R Pick Up Oct 24th.
2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Cargo Capacity 3722 lbs
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:22 PM   #88
Senior Member
 
Gleaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Idaho
Posts: 279
Uh, not sure where you come up with your pricing.....
Or which "brand" you are referring to.....
But your "quotes" are a little more than 2x what "cost" is round here.....
Over $1500 ea. for one injector?
__________________
2015 nights camped (54)
Gleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:39 PM   #89
Senior Member
 
CWSWine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Fuel filters every second oil change.
2 of them. Avg $150.

Also, don't forget the $10k in injectors, when yours go south. ( from you doubling the oil change interval)
Or the high pressure fuel pump.
That's about 4 grand.
Dpf filter.. 3k.

I could do a whole crate engine with my v10 for about 5 grand.

Don't get me wrong. If I could justify always have a diesel under warranty, I would have it in a second.
Till then, I'll stick with my 6.8L V10.


2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
Still services are a wash even with fuel filters. 16,000 would be 248 bucks in savings. Fuel filters are 22,500 miles or with the DIC says change it according to Ford diesel manual.

Always if something breaks it cost more. If you that worried for 1500.00 you can get 100,000 warranty. If you can't afford or don't want to spend money the stay gas.
__________________
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D Diesel Pusher 41 foot. CC 5740
2017 Solitude 310GK-R Pick Up Oct 24th.
2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Cargo Capacity 3722 lbs
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:46 PM   #90
Senior Member
 
CWSWine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleaner View Post
Uh, not sure where you come up with your pricing.....
Or which "brand" you are referring to.....
But your "quotes" are a little more than 2x what "cost" is round here.....
Over $1500 ea. for one injector?
Might want to shop here... FORD - Ford F-250 - ForDiesels.com

Here is another good spot to shop..http://www.shopinjectors.com/diesel/...mjhhoCLz_w_wcB
__________________

__________________
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D Diesel Pusher 41 foot. CC 5740
2017 Solitude 310GK-R Pick Up Oct 24th.
2016 GMC Denali 1 ton Cargo Capacity 3722 lbs
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
500, gas

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 PM.