Old 08-10-2016, 02:55 PM   #21

I had same truck before mine. It was the best truck I ever owned, since 1964. Surely someone can fix yours. Sounds like a computer glitch.......which is why I bought extended warranty, and no other reason.

Take it to an independent shop.........

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:16 PM   #22

Wait a minute.
As a retired master tech, I feel something is lost in the diagnostic process. It sounds like they're "pulling codes and throwing parts at it" and not fixing the problem. Don't bother with a parts srore, they can only pull codes and sell you a bunch of parts you don't need. Seen that too much. If I were working on this, I'd want to know if that outside source (your TT) is the root cause, since your problem only happens with the two hooked up. I'd be looking for another trailer with the same basic electrical setup as yours and trying THAT one out. If the problem doesn't surface, then we start focusing on your TT to see what's going on. If it happens with a different unit hooked up, then we go back to your truck and look deeper.
Of course, I'd be grilling you for every minute detail of what's going on when all this happens. I'm betting they're not. Many times I've found a trigger/event that helps pin down what's going on, sometimes so innocuous it never occurs to the driver to mention it.
Just my .02

Old 08-10-2016, 03:27 PM   #23
(Dry Huunday)

Du
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Wait a minute.
As a retired master tech, I feel something is lost in the diagnostic process. It sounds like they're "pulling codes and throwing parts at it" and not fixing the problem. Don't bother with a parts srore, they can only pull codes and sell you a bunch of parts you don't need. Seen that too much. If I were working on this, I'd want to know if that outside source (your TT) is the root cause, since your problem only happens with the two hooked up. I'd be looking for another trailer with the same basic electrical setup as yours and trying THAT one out. If the problem doesn't surface, then we start focusing on your TT to see what's going on. If it happens with a different unit hooked up, then we go back to your truck and look deeper.
Of course, I'd be grilling you for every minute detail of what's going on when all this happens. I'm betting they're not. Many times I've found a trigger/event that helps pin down what's going on, sometimes so innocuous it never occurs to the driver to mention it.
Just my .02
Ahhh, a real troubleshooter and not just a parts changer!

An art that is being lost in this modern age of modules and computer programs. I've seen in it happening in Marine Aviation and now in the auto industry!
Probably why most modern techs dont like me, lol!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Du

Probably why most modern techs dont like me, lol!
Me too. Lol.

Also everyone, keep in mind warranty pay doesn't pay like 'customer pay' so they are not as inclined to dig. And, they only give them x time to do it, sometimes as little as .5 hours for stuff like yours, unless they can get authorization from higher up. That's like mating elephants. Lots of noise in high places, and then it takes two years to get results.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:46 PM   #25
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

[QUOTE=win;1285989
I have the same truck , no trouble with mine[/QUOTE]
I also have the same truck no issues and one that was the first 2015 built in march of 2014. Sounds more like computer glitch or tt wiring problem. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 15
Days booked so far in 2017 37
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #26

I would be looking for some sort of phantom ground happening. A short somewhere between the trailer 7 prong and your braking/lighting/charging pieces can surely cause the computer in the TV to trigger codes.
Something as simple as a hot side brake wire touching the frame may set things in motion.
Check that trailer wiring before you blame it on the TV.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
Du

Ahhh, a real troubleshooter and not just a parts changer!

An art that is being lost in this modern age of modules and computer programs. :
Pardon me, I forgot my manners for a few minutes.

Thank you for the compliment.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:19 PM   #28
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
Pardon me, I forgot my manners for a few minutes.

Thank you for the compliment.
Lol! Thank you
And you a very correct about "Warranty work"!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #29

Not crazy about trying to troubleshoot myself when the truck is under warranty. I've left it at the dealer for over a week so they could work out the issue using Chevy tech support. I've brought it in with the trailer twice. If it was just brakes or trailer lights I'd be more suspicious of the trailer, but I think it's the weight of the trailer that's exposing the electrical glitch. It sounds like a loose connection or ground to me. I got the impression that the techs were doing their best, but dealing with Chevy Customer Support after six repair attempts has been a nightmare.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:57 PM   #30
Who Dares, Wins

My 2010 1500 had this similar issue and would go into limp mode. It was moisture in the connectors of the ABS or speed sensors.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags