Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2016, 09:09 AM   #101

instead of towing the trailer unplugged, figure out the bumper weight and load up the truck bed with sand bags to simulate the weight of the trailer. drive the truck around loaded and see if it acts up indicating a pinched wire or a true electronic issue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
hshaw302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:26 PM   #102

possible solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgekev View Post
I'm not going to get snarky as you are entitled to your opinion, but if you review the thread, or try a google search, you'll see that more than a few Chevy owners are having the same issue with a variety of trailers. In a sense I agree that it's the trailer, in that pulling it exposes the truck malfunction.
It appears the ABS codes while towing are due to static buildup causing a backfeed into the ABS module on the stop lamp and turn signal wiring. GM engineering is still investigating. At this time I would suggest adding a ground wire from the trailer frame to the ground wire that connects to the tow vehicle in the 7 way plug. It appears better grounding will dampen the static voltage and hopefully eliminate the wheel speed sensor codes when towing. Again, this is still being investigated, this is not a guaranteed solution. BTW Bridgekev, do you know if your trailer has LED tail lights?
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:24 PM   #103

My trailer has incandescent brake\turn signal lights. That explanation makes a lot of sense.
The last trip to the dealer resulted in the replacement of the left rear wheel speed sensor. They told me the signal was erratic during a test drive without the trailer, but other dealers had checked those on extended test drives with and without the trailer. They were rock steady before. I haven't had a chance to take a trip to check it yet.
An extra ground wire is easy enough. I'll also take a look at all the grounds I can find and make sure there is good metal to metal contact.
bridgekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:50 PM   #104

I would add a ground from the frame to the ground wire that connects to the 7 way plug even if it looks like it is OK. I really doubt you have a speed sensor problem. It appears the ABS module is sensitive to static. I am not recommending it at this time, but one has been repaired by installing diodes in the wiring at the trailer connector so electricity can only flow from the truck to the trailer, not in the other direction. I have seen oscilloscope traces of the voltage in the stop lamp wiring and it is full of static. If the static is eliminated, the ABS code problem goes away.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:27 PM   #105

I had my '16 2500 in for several warranty items. One was for getting a service trailer brake, along with stabilitrak, and abs. Before I went on my last trip, they replaced part of the trailer plug on the truck. After a long trip (7K miles), and lots of warnings, took it back to the dealer. They replaced the whole trailer plug (didn't know it was two parts), saying they were getting weird reading, and just replaced the whole thing. Had a sticking caliper also. I will be pulling my trailer a short distance next week, so we will see.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:31 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
I had my '16 2500 in for several warranty items. One was for getting a service trailer brake, along with stabilitrak, and abs. Before I went on my last trip, they replaced part of the trailer plug on the truck.
Mark
The trailer plug certainly be an issue but i would not expect it to turn on the ABS light. you may have the same static backfeed issue. Try an added frame ground wire and see if that eliminates it.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #107

I have a 2012 2500hd and this happened to me. I took it the a auto parts store and they cleared the code and haven't had a problem since. Did some research on it and what I found is that it is a problem and if it persists you have to replace the module. Id take it to another dealer and call GM and demand resolution
Mastershink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:44 PM   #108
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastershink View Post
I have a 2012 2500hd and this happened to me. I took it the a auto parts store and they cleared the code and haven't had a problem since. Did some research on it and what I found is that it is a problem and if it persists you have to replace the module. Id take it to another dealer and call GM and demand resolution
I think you need to read all of this thread.

Gm IS involved and trying to fix the situation and this is probably a completely different situation than what you experienced.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags