Old 09-09-2015, 01:47 PM   #1

Chevy hd2500 question

hello all, hey I had another post about ball height and thanks to all who replied I was able to adj it down to about 23 .5 inches which really worked out well, trailer is level, coming from a 1500 gmc when I hooked up my trailer it had noticeable sag without the spring bars attached, now when hooking up I measured and there is no noticeable difference in suspension sag ( great that's why I went to a 2500 ) my question, I was running my bars on the 3rd link from the top I also used the 3rd link from the top on the new truck and the bars are pretty level with the frame as a reference point, I believe my tongue weight is around 700-750 everything looks ok and was just wondering what link you guys are running, also with the new receiver I think I am going to have to extend my safety chains a little, it dosent look like it will bind ( I checked it in a pretty full turn ) but my other setup for sure had more slack, taking it out this weekend for its maiden tow and looking for any other input from the crew l.o.l. great group of folks on here and thanks for all the input. joe

Old 09-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #2

Do you need leveling bars? When we moved to the 2500, I used the sway bar. Didn't feel I needed the levelers. 750 lb tongue weight.
Dave

Nights camped in 2016:03😄
D-maxx dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-maxx dave View Post
Do you need leveling bars? When we moved to the 2500, I used the sway bar. Didn't feel I needed the levelers. 750 lb tongue weight.
Dave
750 lbs is a lot of weight on the back end of even a 3/4 ton truck. A WDH will make the truck handle much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in pa View Post
h I was running my bars on the 3rd link from the top I also used the 3rd link from the top on the new truck and the bars are pretty level with the frame as a reference point,
A picture of your setup, along with the make a model of your WDH would help. Some manufacturers require a minimum of 5 links of chain between the spring bars and snap up bracket to allow for swing. Round bars are usually parallel to the trailer frame, but trunnion style bars usually face down. That is the reason we need more info.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #4

I have a friend who tows a 30' WJ with a 3500 Dodge (non Dually) with nothing but a ball. No WDH or sway control. Also towed this way with his old 2500 Dodge (both Cummins'). Towed his previous TTs this way also. Says he encounters no problems. I personally would never tow this way. Just like what brand hitch to use or what brand truck- to each his own.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:39 PM   #5

I run a wd hitch for safety and better handling . Not to mention in case of a accident They can`t get me for improper towing equipment. I think its the law any TT over 5k must use WDH . I could be wrong on that.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:24 PM   #6

I'd like to say that I used the bars on a couple of trips, but decided to try without them. No squat, used the sway bar in case of winds.
Never had a problem, and pretty sure there are no laws in La. concerning leveling bars.
Old 09-13-2015, 04:20 PM   #7

thanks for the input guys, just came back from the weekend and what a difference in towing, one word awesome, I wish I would have listened to everyone on this forum that you need at least a 2500 for towing, bye the way I have a husky wdh and ran it on the 3rd link from the end of the chain with 5 links still showing below,as I said what a awesome towing experience. thanks again joe

Tags