Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #41

If I were to purchase a diesel again, the first thing I would do is skip the 250/2500 and get the 350/3500. The next requirement I would look at is who you are taking with you. If you are thinking you need a crew cab, I feel the Chevy and Dodge had the least amount of room in the crew part. I think Dodge did/or does a a mega cab, but not sure if you can still get that. If a regular or extended cab, all are about the same.

Apart from that, there will be great trucks and crappy trucks from each manufacturer... guess it depends on the straw you drawl.

I think all three are negatively impacted by emissions.

I like the comfort features of the Ford line and the crew room is the most important thing to my family.
buckeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #42
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan View Post
If you are thinking you need a crew cab, I feel the Chevy and Dodge had the least amount of room in the crew part. I think Dodge did/or does a a mega cab, but not sure if you can still get that. If a regular or extended cab, all are about the same.
When was the last time you sat in the crew cabs for all 3? We literally spent more time sitting in and moving around the backseat than anything else when we were picking trucks. We did it last March (2012) for the 2012 model year trucks and found:
- Dodge and Ford back seats felt about the same spacious-wise
-- Ford might have had a little more hip room but strangely felt more cramped in the shoulders area.
-- Dodge had more headroom.
-Dodge's middle read seat isn't as deep as the 2 side seats unless you got the Megacab.
- Chevy/GMC felt downright cramped all around in the backseat.
- Chevy, I think also had the highest hump on the floor than the other two. I think the Ford was the least noticeable.

Our requirements were to be able to carry 6 as comfortably as possible. 4 adults and 2 children.

We started in a Dodge, then Ford and then Chevy. We couldn't believe our memories of the Dodge being so spacious, so we went back to Dodge to reaffirm our feelings.

The numbers/specs online say they're all within an inch of each other. Certainly not enough to be noticeable. But actual seat time told a different story.

The final straw against Ford was my wife didn't care for the interior and liked the Dodge's.

And of course, lemme finish with- this was just our observations last year.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #43

Started looking for a diesel pickup in the spring of 2010. I live in Texas were almost one/half of all registrations are pickups. I have owned only pickups for the past 40 years, all 1/2 tons, Chev, GMC, Ford and Dodges. My experience was price for the 250/2500's: Chev was 4 to 5 thousand more for comp truck, Dodge or Fords were priced about the same, Chev and Ford with the DEF much less noise and no smell, Dodge was still loud and smelly, there were, even in Texas, not many longbeds on the dealer lots, almost all were short beds with four wheel drive.
I narrowed it down to Ford and Dodge, the price for the Chev/GMC was just to much difference. When I spoke to the Chev dealer all they would say was that it was a good price for that truck and it was better then the other two.
When I found a 2011 F250 Ford, CC, diesel, longbed, RWD, XLT with a price of $39,125, March 2011, I could not find a comp Dodge near that price and the Dodges are made in Mexico and seemed old tecnology. My choice was made for me. I now love my 2011 F250. Good luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #44

1 tons are not that much more than 3/4 ton. Go with a 1 ton no matter what make. You can't pry me out of a Ford with a crowbar though.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #45

I think I'd like to try a duralax diesel. I've been a Powerjoke owner for the last 12 years and IF I was going to buy a new truck....first I'd have to hit the freakin' lottery, next I'd have to hit the freakin' lottery.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #46
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
I would consider any of the THREE; Chev, Dodge or Ford ( posted Alphabetically) They are all beautiful trucks now.
X2!

Old 06-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post

15K on a half ton truck? Overloading may be why the trucks aren't treating you well...

Anyone who has driven or owned a 6.7 cummins in the new body style 2011 and newer has ever complained that I know of... And how the heck can you when your truck is just as quiet as a car, rides better and produces 800ft/lbs of torque??? If you complain about that you've got issues!!!
My company truck is a 2013 2500 cummins with the 6.7 it's the third 6.7 I've had and with 2,000 on the truck it already has the check engine light on and the third one that is just a pile of junk! I am not trying to start a feud up by any means I am just simply stating my personal experience with all three brands and fords have always gone above and stood the test in the oilfield.
turnerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #48
Anacortesians

The transit agency I worked for had a small fleet of mini-buses on the Ford E450 van chassis. They were very noisy, both inside and outside. They recently replaced them with buses based on the Chevrolet van. You can hardly tell from the noise that they have a diesel engine.

A neighbor has a new diesel F-350 4x4 crew-cab pick-up and it seems much quieter than earlier models.