Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #21

I have towed with all three in the last 5 years and absolutely love the Ram! It is hands down the best tow vehicle of the three. Quite, comfortable, powerful, decent mileage, it is the whole package.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
I have towed with all three in the last 5 years and absolutely love the Ram! It is hands down the best tow vehicle of the three. Quite, comfortable, powerful, decent mileage, it is the whole package.

PapaSmurf.....we have identical twins !!!!! ,
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #23
Happy owner SOB

We have several of both at work. Ford has LOTS of turbo failures. That being said, I still prefer the Ford ride and power of the two. if I were going to buy a new one, it would be a Dodge.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #24
Oklahoma Proud

Chevy ! I work for them and all the guys I know, and work with know what to do to fix any issues.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #25

I have had a great duramax and now work where we have both new fords and rams. No comparison in the power and quiet. ford or duramax both are much quieter and have more power. Personal ride is a new ford pulling a 36' blue ridge 5ver. Dodge cab is nice, cummins is just noisy and vibrates. We have 2 brand new and they are both the same.
Scott Colegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #26
MI Camperz

DH likes Fords. His Ford 1 ton work van is about to retire at 300,000 miles. It still runs though, but rough. I call that reliable.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #27

Only Ford, never anything else. Chevy and Ram just don't add up any way you look at them.

2020 F350 Extended Cab
2018 Sandpiper 354RET

fkent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #28

Go to the dealer and drive each and decide. I prefer the ford for interior, quiet and power. The new 6.7 is a torque monster. Dodge has finally improved their interior and looks good. The Chevy with the Allison trans is hard to beat.

2013 Coachman 292BHDS
2005 F150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4
1 spoiled lab and 1 even more spoiled boxer
pkurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #29

I'm with George.....Itsthetwoofus.....Bought my 2011 F350 dually and just turned 36,000 trouble free miles this week.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #30

IMHO ford is the only way to go. (Yes I know my TV is a half ton gasser). I have driven and put to the test all three in my line of work and nothing will ever compare to a ford. Every Chevy I had and towed heavy pipe filled trailers with was in the shop within a month. Every dodge I've had lasts about three months. (Current company truck is a 2013 dodge cummins). My current truck has 2,000 on it and already has the check engine light on. Fords have been the only trucks I can get long dependable lives out of. For instance my little half ton I used to use it for work towing 15k+ trailers and it just keeps on going. Currently have 136,000 on it an it runs just like the day I bought it!
turnerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #31

Ford has always been a solid TV, my '12 350 dually was the exception. It was nothing but issues. Spent 32 days in service within 11 months. Injectors at 800 miles, other misc. problems that never went away. I got rid of this truck, originally intended on another Ford, but their customer service and constant warranty denial issues within FoMoCo is the reason I left Ford. I bought a new '12 Ram 3500 dually Cummins. I absolutely love this truck. It's more comfortable, solid power, handles bumps better. Dodge has come light years from what they were. Just take a look and drive one. Just my .02.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #32

I would consider any of the THREE; Chev, Dodge or Ford ( posted Alphabetically) They are all beautiful trucks now.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #33

In all honesty the Cummins in the Dodge is a superior motor and you will be hard pressed to find the longevity and reliability of the cummins in either the ford or chevy platform! I'm not saying either of those are bad options.

If you look at over the road semis they are running inline 6 cylinders due to the simplicity and far less moving parts, which leads to the longevity and reliability of course...

Regardless of which you buy, if you can you act quickly and buy a new 2012 I would suggest it as the 2013 models are all putting the DEF (diesel exhaust fluid(urea(piss))) into the exhaust. Not that this is a huge deal, but it's one more thing to keep filled up, and maintained. The resale of a 2012 will be higher due to the fact that it doesn't have the DEF as well by the way...

MOPAR OR NO CAR!

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerpa View Post
IMHO ford is the only way to go. (Yes I know my TV is a half ton gasser). I have driven and put to the test all three in my line of work and nothing will ever compare to a ford. Every Chevy I had and towed heavy pipe filled trailers with was in the shop within a month. Every dodge I've had lasts about three months. (Current company truck is a 2013 dodge cummins). My current truck has 2,000 on it and already has the check engine light on. Fords have been the only trucks I can get long dependable lives out of. For instance my little half ton I used to use it for work towing 15k+ trailers and it just keeps on going. Currently have 136,000 on it an it runs just like the day I bought it!

15K on a half ton truck? Overloading may be why the trucks aren't treating you well...

Anyone who has driven or owned a 6.7 cummins in the new body style 2011 and newer has ever complained that I know of... And how the heck can you when your truck is just as quiet as a car, rides better and produces 800ft/lbs of torque??? If you complain about that you've got issues!!!

Old 06-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #35
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
...If you look at over the road semis they are running inline 6 cylinders due to the simplicity and far less moving parts, which leads to the longevity and reliability of course...
No comparison to the road tractor engines and what is in pickups. 2 totally different animals.

As long as there are 3 different manufacturers, there will this senseless debate and no one will convince the other by the bantering. Individuals will buy what they want and not be influenced by what is said on this forum.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
No comparison to the road tractor engines and what is in pickups. 2 totally different animals.

As long as there are 3 different manufacturers, there will this senseless debate and no one will convince the other by the bantering. Individuals will buy what they want and not be influenced by what is said on this forum.

I would argue that they are similar... The design of over the road tractors is virtually the same as the inline 6 cummins... only a larger version. The design is used for simplicity. Simplicity means fewer parts, longevity and reliability. I don't know if you have ever worked on a diesel but getting to parts of a cummins is MUCH easier than a V8 counterpart ford or chevy. Not to say any are better than the others... they are all great and yes the owner needs to buy what suits his wants and needs!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #37

Anybody else wonder why the Jap manufacturers don't have 2500/3500 platforms? I am NOT saying I would buy one or even desire one, but it seems there IS a market out there for that, at least. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #38

I don't know, if Tundra had a 3/4 platform, I'm sure they would sell the crap out of it.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #39

I've been researching the three brands of diesels. Here is what has stuck in my mind from months of research.

Ford: the lawsuit California has against ford over the 6.0 has me wondering if I'll ever trust ford again. The defect of the 6.7 HPFP going out and sending metal shavings through the engine is scary. A 11-13k repair bill that ford will not cover has me wondering if I'll go with a 6.7 like I've been planning.

Chevy - I've always been a chevy guy, but the 2001 expedition I purchased new and sold at +200k miles converted me. I read reviews on Edmonds or similar where owners of the dura max was not giving 4 and 5 star ratings like I had been expecting. A lot of 3 out of 5 star reviews is troubling.

Dodge: what can I say. I'm sure the older guys can relate to me saying dodge was a very unpopular vehicle when I was growing up, and it has stuck with me all my life. Dodge has come a long ways. At this point, I'm thinking motor repair is the most expensive part of owning a diesel. On this note, I'm thinking the Cummings would probably be the safest bet, and would be what I'd buy if I were to buy one today.

Really though, you should drive each and do some research. What counts most for me or others might not be the most important factor for you.

Frank
Frankm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

One factor to consider, can you obtain an employee discount of any kind with any of the 3? That's what drove me to buy a Ram. Well, that and the RAMBOX fits two umbrella strollers when the kids were young enough to need them, but the main driver was the employee discount from Grandpa.

In the end it's always about price.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote