Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2015, 07:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtposts View Post
2015 Silverado 2500HD - 25 MPG Highway alone and 12.2 - 13.6 towing my 35' Solaire 292QBHK 7300lb loaded. I only have 10k mi but seems to be getting better the more miles I get on it.
How on earth do you get 25 MPG highway? You double your MPG from towing to highway? Remarkable.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #22

I also have a '14 Silverado Duramax.I have gotten 25mpg babying it on a flat interstate no trailer.
Usually average around 20-22 no trailer'
Around 18 in the city no trailer
With my Freedom Express behind I average around 14 to 15 @ 60-62mpg.
hilitephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #23

I doubt i get 14 around town.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #24

Also DW wanted a newer vehicle so she picked out a 12' Ford Edge SEL and that piece of crap gets 15 around town. So i figure if she was towing the little red wagon it would be about the same as my Duramax. Pathetic.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:56 AM   #25

I have been a GM truck guy since the last Ford in 1992. Bought a LaCrosse 329BHT and it totally overloaded my 14 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 so I went truck shopping for the second time in a year. As much as I liked the 14' 1500 I didn't like the 2500 gasser or diesel. The 6.0 felt slow and really had to rev to get anything moving and downshifted at the drop of a hat. The Durmax was a lot stronger but the truck had a lot of vibration and I hated how the DEF tank was mounted under the truck almost behind the right front tire waiting for road debris to knock it off. A buddy of mine talked me into looking at the Rams and I ended up buying one. Very nice interior, the controls are well laid out, and the Cummins is a towing beast but still easy to live with on a daily basis. Towing at 65 to 70 it gets 12 hand calculated, empty on the highway over 20, and about 16 around town. Besides maintenance being a little higher than the gasser, the only real drawback is you have to shut it down to order food at a drive through otherwise there is no telling what you are going to get in your order. The Cummins sounds like a real truck.
MickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #26

Yes it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
How on earth do you get 25 MPG highway? You double your MPG from towing to highway? Remarkable.
I read a lot of stuff folks post & I've researched Dmax forums a lot. Just pick out the good points of advice. I got 25mpg going up the WVa Turnpike and back down but (new w/>1500 mi)..... I kept it within the speed limit (under 70). I used to run 80+ but not anymore with vehicle prices what they are today (I'm also older ). Take care of your vehicle and it will last you a good measure.

Just keep your foot out of the accelerator, learn how to work that DMax and Allison Tranny. My commutes to work through Raleigh NC get me 18 - 20mpg average and I'm keeping up with the flow of traffic. Learn shift points, don't tailgate, light jump or hot dog it and you will get the same mileage.

When towing, find that sweet spot where your rig settles in at and you can cruise comfortably and get great tow mileage. Shaving 20 min travel time isn't worth an extra $20 in fuel, DEF & other costs. Towing isn't all about HP and Torque. Nothing will overcome the aerodynamic effects of towing a large brick through the air. Read many ramblings (GM Eng commenting as well) that if the EPA weren't such idiots, the DMax's could be getting 30mpg easily. Reading how the EPA sets emission test standards supports this too.

Most important; DONT FIGHT - WORK WITH the design the engineers put together. You will be happier and save $$ in the long run. This goes for ANY Brand!

awtposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #27

I have a Chevy 3500 and tow a CC 38FL get 20 on road not towing. towing get 11 mpg diesel dully don't like the def but have to take the good with the bad.does any1 build what we want or need
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wire1946 View Post
I have a Chevy 3500 and tow a CC 38FL get 20 on road not towing. towing get 11 mpg diesel dully don't like the def but have to take the good with the bad.does any1 build what we want or need
Unless your in a "emissions state"
Delete delete delete!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:35 AM   #29

Quote:
Nope! Nobody listens to the common man anymore, it's all about the dollar. My last truck I handwrote 4 pages of comments attached to my survey I returned in the mail. GM actually called me to review some points.

Some things I remember;

- Get away from the CAD stations and hit the clay studio, realize there isn't but so many ways to design a truck. It is a working man's tool.
- Make stake pocket holes large enough for 2x4's again
- Bring back Wing Vents & Floor vents. No need for A/C most the time with those.
- Bring back the under-the-dash A/C (Freezer). Self contained modular unit that can be benched for repairs vice ripping out entire dash to replace a 10 cent part.
- Put back the flat bumper one can use as anvil or surface to hammer against not plastic.
- bring back the metal straps tailgate rests vice thin braided cable.

Couldn't explain to them a Truck is a working man's tool, not a preppy-mobile or redneck junk wagon. It helped the Blacksmith shoe horses with it's features designed in the body, It helped the rancher/farmer string up barbed wire fences using a 2x4 to hold the wire rolls and tension the wire. The carpenter had a portable workbench with the tailgate till it got to frail and weak.

Nope, the auto industry lost sight of what we need long ago
Old 02-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #30

Quote:
Motor?
Old 02-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtposts View Post
Nope! Nobody listens to the common man anymore, it's all about the dollar. My last truck I handwrote 4 pages of comments attached to my survey I returned in the mail. GM actually called me to review some points.

Some things I remember;

- Get away from the CAD stations and hit the clay studio, realize there isn't but so many ways to design a truck. It is a working man's tool.
- Make stake pocket holes large enough for 2x4's again
- Bring back Wing Vents & Floor vents. No need for A/C most the time with those.
- Bring back the under-the-dash A/C (Freezer). Self contained modular unit that can be benched for repairs vice ripping out entire dash to replace a 10 cent part.
- Put back the flat bumper one can use as anvil or surface to hammer against not plastic.
- bring back the metal straps tailgate rests vice thin braided cable.

Couldn't explain to them a Truck is a working man's tool, not a preppy-mobile or redneck junk wagon. It helped the Blacksmith shoe horses with it's features designed in the body, It helped the rancher/farmer string up barbed wire fences using a 2x4 to hold the wire rolls and tension the wire. The carpenter had a portable workbench with the tailgate till it got to frail and weak.

Nope, the auto industry lost sight of what we need long ago
Cant believe your not driving a 68' Dodge Power Wagon plus why did you purchase a 2015 truck that has everything you hate about "today's" trucks?
Old 02-24-2015, 11:37 AM   #32

Quote:
Cant believe your not driving a 68' Dodge Power Wagon plus why did you purchase a 2015 truck that has everything you hate about "today's" trucks?
First off - I don't hate everything, just the price.

Second - I hate that the "Stylists" have ultimate authority on something that's utilitarian NOT a status symbol which is what they have made it into which forces prices up.

Third - Why remove core or basic functions of purpose, functions that led to the creation of the truck and it's design over the years?

Finally - What other choice does anyone have today? LOL
Old 02-24-2015, 01:47 PM   #33

awt."Finally - What other choice does anyone have today?" You didn't have to buy that beauty queen. There are a lot of older trucks out there with the features you like. For a mere pittance of what you paid you could have done a complete rebuild and had all your vents/freezer bullet proof tailgate et al.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:32 AM   #34

I did a mileage test on my DMax the other day when I picked up our new trailer. While the trailer is only 21' and weighs 4600 lbs (as is), I got 16-18mpg at 70mph, and while not towing the Dmax is a consistent 22-24 mpg at 70 mph. And it is correct, that there is no more maintenance on the diesel than the gasser, but its proper maintenance on the diesel that will give it the longevity and reliability that diesel's are known for..Sherm
Old 03-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #35
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
68 Power Wagon! Now THAT was a beast of a truck!!!

Of course I wouldn't want to drive it daily or a long distance!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #36

This Unit? Working Mans Truck! Youroo!! These had (Chains) for tailgate!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 fall 1491.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	451.1 KB
ID:	70740  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
This Unit? Working Mans Truck! Youroo!! These had (Chains) for tailgate!
Isn't this the truck from Deliverance

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
Isn't this the truck from Deliverance
Might be but it was parked in front of a $$ Supper Club in (Boulder Junction,Wi)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:57 PM   #39

Ram Diesel here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
I have been a GM truck guy since the last Ford in 1992. Bought a LaCrosse 329BHT and it totally overloaded my 14 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 so I went truck shopping for the second time in a year. As much as I liked the 14' 1500 I didn't like the 2500 gasser or diesel. The 6.0 felt slow and really had to rev to get anything moving and downshifted at the drop of a hat. The Durmax was a lot stronger but the truck had a lot of vibration and I hated how the DEF tank was mounted under the truck almost behind the right front tire waiting for road debris to knock it off. A buddy of mine talked me into looking at the Rams and I ended up buying one. Very nice interior, the controls are well laid out, and the Cummins is a towing beast but still easy to live with on a daily basis. Towing at 65 to 70 it gets 12 hand calculated, empty on the highway over 20, and about 16 around town. Besides maintenance being a little higher than the gasser, the only real drawback is you have to shut it down to order food at a drive through otherwise there is no telling what you are going to get in your order. The Cummins sounds like a real truck.
TV - 2014 3500 Dodge
TT - 2015 329BHT
Question Mickey. What do you use for a tow hitch. I got a Pro Series WD. It has the shank rated for 1500 or 1000 tongue weight with the WD. Do you use sway control? or what type of hitch do you use?
Mileage is great for a 1 ton. Gasser I would never look back glad I went to diesel 8 years ago and a happy dodge diesel owner.
newhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:26 PM   #40

I have a Silverado 2500 HD Crewcab with Duramax/Allison and I will never go back to gas. I have several friends with Duramax/Allison and not one of them has had any problems with the motor or tranny, only water in the fuel filter cause by condensation in his transfer tank, but no mechanical problems,
Mileage is also much better than the gassers. I get 18-20 mpg highway and 12-13 towing a 9,000 lb unit. 3500 would be overkill for me as the 2500 hauls many thousands of lbs more than I will ever have. If I remember correctly, I have a GAVW of 10,000 lbs and my dry weight is 7,200 lbs. That give me 2,800 lbs of load capacity. 24,000 lbs of total weight for TV and camper.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3500, 500