Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Night Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Forest Grove, Oregon
Posts: 585
Chevy Surburban

Has anyone towed with this SUV? What are the pros and cons? The reason is I would like to get this SUV, cause of it's number of passenger seating. The ideal drivetrain is a 6.0 with 3.73 gears. My current trailer is Salem Cruise lite 181BHXL with shipped dry weight of 4300 lbs. Add items and such to trailer it's probably tops 4600lbs.

Dave


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
98 Chevy Silverado C3500 crewcab, 454 cu in & 2013 Salem Cruise-Lite 181BHXL
FRF and FROG member
Days camped in 2012 (3), 2013 (3), 2014 (6)
Days camped in 2015, 0 Days so far (0)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stone View Post
Has anyone towed with this SUV? What are the pros and cons? The reason is I would like to get this SUV, cause of it's number of passenger seating. The ideal drivetrain is a 6.0 with 3.73 gears. My current trailer is Salem Cruise lite 181BHXL with shipped dry weight of 4300 lbs. Add items and such to trailer it's probably tops 4600lbs.

Dave


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Normal user added item is around 1000#
Don't think you can load up and go for 300#
Oh dear the list.
Clothes
Food
Beverages
Toiletries
Dishes cups silverware
Tools
Chairs
Blankets pillows
Pots pans
Coolers ice
Lanterns
Water in the fw tank
Etc etc

Lol if you can only carry 300# and camp comfortable then cheers to ya!

With that being said I pulled a 32' flagstaff ultralight with my suburban 5.3 323 gear for 5 years.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Night Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Forest Grove, Oregon
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Normal user added item is around 1000#
Don't think you can load up and go for 300#
Oh dear the list.
Clothes
Food
Beverages
Toiletries
Dishes cups silverware
Tools
Chairs
Blankets pillows
Pots pans
Coolers ice
Lanterns
Water in the fw tank
Etc etc

Lol if you can only carry 300# and camp comfortable then cheers to ya!

With that being said I pulled a 32' flagstaff ultralight with my suburban 5.3 323 gear for 5 years.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"

How does it do on mountain grades of 6-8%?


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
98 Chevy Silverado C3500 crewcab, 454 cu in & 2013 Salem Cruise-Lite 181BHXL
FRF and FROG member
Days camped in 2012 (3), 2013 (3), 2014 (6)
Days camped in 2015, 0 Days so far (0)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stone View Post
How does it do on mountain grades of 6-8%?


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I'm a flatlander! No mountains.
Hills maybe.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Keep in mind that 4300 dry weight is most likely even higher then that after the dealer gets it.
He adds.
Battery/ batteries.
Propane tanks full of propane.
Any add on items you requested.

Sometimes awnings , microwaves, and televisions are added at the dealer.


TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 6,477
DW has a 2014 Yukon XL with the 6.2L and it's a beast. To give you an idea of MPG, my 3500 dually crewcab 4x4 is our economical vehicle!
__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
Nights Camped 2017 - 49
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
vinmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 1,793
Do you know the GVWR of the trailer? That is the best to go by. As was stated. 1,000 lbs is not a crazy number for gear and stuff. My new pop up has a GVWR around 4,500lbs. I would suspect your quite a bit north of that.

That being said. I think as long as you have the tow package your good to go. I am looking at the Tahoe as a potential replacement for my Trailblazer. The suburban is quite a big bigger as you know.

Vin.
__________________

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Do you know the GVWR of the trailer? That is the best to go by. As was stated. 1,000 lbs is not a crazy number for gear and stuff. My new pop up has a GVWR around 4,500lbs. I would suspect your quite a bit north of that.

That being said. I think as long as you have the tow package your good to go. I am looking at the Tahoe as a potential replacement for my Trailblazer. The suburban is quite a big bigger as you know.

Vin.
To further your post.
To op will most likely run out of ccc on the suburban before anything else.
Ccc "cargo carrying capacity"
Loaded hitch weight plus hitch , passengers and any gear stowed inside suburban.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Night Stone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Forest Grove, Oregon
Posts: 585
Chevy Surburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
To further your post.
To op will most likely run out of ccc on the suburban before anything else.
Ccc "cargo carrying capacity"
Loaded hitch weight plus hitch , passengers and any gear stowed inside suburban.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"

Probably, but that is why I was thinking of the 6.0 with 3.73, the other option is a diesel Excursion

I am not much a Ford fan and neither is the DW


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
98 Chevy Silverado C3500 crewcab, 454 cu in & 2013 Salem Cruise-Lite 181BHXL
FRF and FROG member
Days camped in 2012 (3), 2013 (3), 2014 (6)
Days camped in 2015, 0 Days so far (0)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stone View Post
Probably, but that is why I was thinking of the 6.0 with 3.73, the other option is a diesel Excursion :0
I am not much a Ford fan and neither is the DW


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Lol no ford fan here either.

It would be much better with the 373 gear for sure which u have.

What is that burbs towing specs?

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.