Old 06-24-2016, 02:52 PM   #11
Originally Posted by jorn_k View Post
What data are you basing that upon? I tried to buy more truck than I needed.
Jorn.. I am not a card carrying member of the weight police, but I will say what they would tell you...

Your 2016 Ram 2500 Mega Cab has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. If you use the MFG "base weight" of that truck (assuming just 1 skinny driver) it is 7,970 lbs. That means that you have 2,030 lbs available for pin weight / hitch weight / passengers & luggage.

The Chaparral 360IBL is a 14,000 lbs. 5er. Typical fifth wheels have 20 to 25% pin weight.... In other words, your pin on that trailer is between 2,800 and 3,500 lbs (more than likely closer to 3,500 than the other way). Keep in mind you only had 2,030 lbs availibe for pin weight, hitch weight, passengers, fire wood, you name it. More than likely your truck is 1,000 lbs over GVWR wet and loaded.

We should also consider the Rear Axle... That truck has a rear axle weight rating of 6,500 lbs. Per the Ram spec sheet, the base weight on the rear axle of that truck is 3,087 lbs. This means you have 3,413 lbs. before your rear axle is over loaded. By the time you put a hitch in the bed, add the pin weight and passengers, your rear axle is more than likely over loaded as well.

We could also consider GCWR (although the Axle and the GVWR, I would argue are probably the most important ones) for your truck is 25,300 lbs... With the 14k lb 5er and the 7,971 lb camper you are 3500 lbs. under your GCWR. No shock here... 3/4 tons are always limited by payload / rear axles.

Now... all of this is calculated using "mfg base weights" for the truck... Your truck is more than likely heavier, especially once you add the family and hitch.

Now you see why I sold my 3/4 ton when I bought the 360IBL. I am sure that truck will pull that trailer all day long.... but I would certainly be very careful with over loading the rear axle. I would hate to see some sort of failure which might affect your and your family.

2014 RAM 3500 4x4 CCLB Dually, Cummins / 68RFE / 3.42 / B&W Patriot 16K
2016 Coachmen Chapparral 360IBL

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
shorthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:04 PM   #12
A commentator on "Turbo Diesel Register" discussed this issue and suggested using Heavy Electric over Hydraulic due to the reduction in voltage under 30mph as stated earlier. I use that setting on my RAM and it has improved my stopping, especially under 30mph.

Bob & Sharon, "15 Cedar Creek 38CK Custom, '13 RAM 3500 Laramie, 4x4, LB, CC, DRW 6.7 Cummins HO, Aisin 4.10"

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote