Old 12-09-2015, 01:25 PM   #11
For safety sake, get as much towing capacity as you can afford. The current crop of diesel pickups have tremendous pulling power but also have great features for stopping your truck and trailer. (exhaust brake, integrated trailer brake controller, transmission tow mode) I switched from an 03 Chevy 2500HD, 8.1L gas, and Allison to a 15 GMC 2500HD with diesel, Allison transmission, and integrated brake controller. The difference in stopping time was very noticeable.

2015 Solaire 201SS
2015 GMC 2500HD Duramax
PSU Turf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:14 PM   #12
Your decision can be based on 2 factors
1. Are you planning to buy a much bigger camper than you currently have during the time you expect to have this new tow vehicle
2. How tall is the stack of green in your wallet

You can pull your current unit with a burb but a half ton will give you a much bigger safety cushion. I pull a 5000 lb dry Shamrock hybrid with a Ram 1500 quad cab 4wd 5.7 hemi. Great tow vehicle. Tons of power, great brakes, stable suspension. That being said, if I were to get a much bigger camper, I would get a 2500 diesel. Again, all about that safety margin. I don't want to be near the limits of my tv with DW and probably grandkids on board. So the best advise is to watch the weights and capacities closely, plan for the future, and get the most capable vehicle you can afford. Good luck.

jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #13
I agree with everything that was said above. We were down in Florida and found a F-450. It can pull anything without any effort, but the downside is everything is geared so low, that the best gas mileage I can get is 12 mpg. The second downside is insurance costs (most of your ambulances have a base that is F-450) so insurance on this size is very high. Ride is not quite as good as my 2500, but all other options on our Lariat are really nice. Buy larger, but F-350 or smaller. Dually are hard to get used to for parking and around curbs, I would not get a Dually if you don't need. Our GVW is almost 17,000 lbs on our 2014 CC 38FL. WE HAVE HAD DIESEL the last 13 years, the power and pulling difference is extraordinary!!
numbersman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:38 PM   #14
Whatever pickup you buy, make sure it is a supercrew cab. This type will accommodate 6 people comfortably. Also get the max tow packages.
Marcel & Jenne
Kemptville, ON
2014 Rockwood 8282WS
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #15
Talking Happy Camping

You ask the right question? I have camped since I was 6, 63 years, I pull my camper with a GMC duramax diesel and had more than enough room for four adults on a recent trip to Florida and had great room. I also have something you might like it's an e 350 Ford van. Really rides smooth windows all around and a raised roof. Get the tv with earphones and people in the back can entertain themselves between windows and tv. It's just an idea, but makes a great auto for a family and maybe friends to travel around town and good storage in the back. I put Firestone air lift for the back of my hd GMC. It allows you to level your rig with just a few pounds of air, very easy to install.

My best suggestion is to rent an auto, any type you want and use it to go to Florida. Many come with unlimited miles and cost about seven hundred a week, it lets you know if you really like them. You can also borrow your friends truck for a few days and use it, costs you nothing.
High Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #16
Originally Posted by Punxsy1994 View Post
We currently own a Forest River 29' Wildwood X-lite, 4400 lb. dry (probably 1-2 hundred pounds less). We had it parked for past two summers, but this spring we will look to take it out. I won't be hauling water, just the wife, 3 kids under age 11, two dogs and typical gear for a family of 5. What would be best for us to tow with, yet be roomy enough? Could we go with a Suburban? Should we go with Ram 1500? This would also serve as our family vehicle for a short period of time. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. We will be camping primarily through Pennsylvania, possible southern trip to FL (maybe).

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Have you looked at full sized vans? I run a E350 Ford van pulling a 31' Rockwood ultra light. Paid 20k for it 2 year old with low Kms. Tons of room
tankroady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #17
I pulled a 26 ft Mini Lite 4400 UVW and 527 hitch weight with an Avalanche 5.3L 3.73 gears. I wasn't happy with performance in the mountains or on the interstates. I do not like running an engine in the higher rpm ranges which the 5.3 does in modest mountains.
Knowing I'm going to upgrade in a year or two, I went big enough to handle whatever we feel will satisfy the two of us. I bought a GMC 2500 with Duramax diesel.
Overkill for the Mini Lite, but adequate for the next rig.
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #18
I skimped on size to begin with and then purchased a Ford F150 this year. (A rather expensive lapse in judgment but ultimately very satisfying.) I was totally confused until I did the research because there are many models and configurations within each model. There can be huge difference within one model. Dig into the details and be sure that you know its towing capacity. Most would say you should have at least a 25-35% margin in capacity. That is, if the total trailer weight is 5000 your tow capacity should be at least 6250. More is always better. Make sure it has a towing package to cool the transmission and a brake controller. Don't assume the car dealer knows what he/she is talking about. Next its time to think about a hitch and a weight distribution system. Its only money but its all worth it. Have fun.
UltraV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:24 PM   #19
We are a family of five, there are few things to consider as they get bigger....their stuff gets bigger. Mine are 8,10,11. I have 4 full size bikes and a Bmx bike. Carrying those on as SUV is a pain, can you put them in the TT? Also as they get bigger their other stuff does as well. More room needed.

We only have a Pop up just shy of 3400. We tow with a 2012 F150 eco boost 3.5 with a 3.55 rear end. Good daily driver quiet, easy ride and fair mileage. We can get 18-19 without the trailer. With about 16.
We have plenty of room with the crew cab. Not all are as big as the Ford or Tundra Crew Max.
We toy around with the idea of an expedition or Yukon, but we love the fact of the bed, you can throw any thing in it wet, dry smelly or muddy without issue.

Good luck, go drive a few see what you like and buy more than you need. Better rear end and higher payload in a pick up.

Me the missus and three hooligans
2014 rockwood premier 2317g
2012 F 150 super crew Eco boost.
3hooligans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:42 PM   #20

Look at the Ram mega cab. The back seat folds down like an suv,its plenty of room for the kids. We are very happy with our Ram 2500 mega cab which we tow our Rockwood 30ft ultra lite.

Joe-Barb is offline   Reply With Quote

tow vehicle