Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post

Ron, the camper specs are 5750 dry, GVWR of 7740, dry hitch 740. I assumed 7000 for the loaded camper which at 13% is 910 lb hitch weight.

Dave
Oppps my bad ..
Here's my take.
5750 dry weight camper add this.
80lbs for propane and tanks.
50 lbs for full water heater.
100 lbs for spare tire and holder.
60-80 lbs for a battery.
1000 lbs average user added items but with 8 people lets say 1500 lbs.
Weight distribution hitch 100 lbs.

Now that trailer weighs 7650 lbs.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #22

Dave-
I do not know? That was a question we asked-if it had a tow package. The salesman at the dealership said that it did-however- it does NOT have a hitch or plugs! That is why I am questioning if it does. The paperwork says it has an ESP Standard with trailer sway control and it has the skid plate group- tow hooks , fuel tank skid plate shields & transfer case skid plate shields. In addition, it has tow/haul on gear shift? But, that is all! He claims we just have to add the hitch.
my4sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4sons View Post
Dave-
I do not know? That was a question we asked-if it had a tow package. The salesman at the dealership said that it did-however- it does NOT have a hitch or plugs! That is why I am questioning if it does. The paperwork says it has an ESP Standard with trailer sway control and it has the skid plate group- tow hooks , fuel tank skid plate shields & transfer case skid plate shields. In addition, it has tow/haul on gear shift? But, that is all! He claims we just have to add the hitch.
I could be wrong "was once today"
But trailer package always comes with hitch and rv connector unless someone took it off.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #24

Thanks- I do not know why someone would take it off---I am hoping we did not get duped by the dealership ! I hear if it is not factory installed you can not tow as much weight?

Got to sign off for the night my younger boys need dinner-just got home from work! If you guys find any info on the tow package/ vs no tow package tomorrow please let me know.

Again- Thank you all for taking the time to help!
Lisa
my4sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Dave-
As Dave indicated, most tow packages include everything needed to tow except maybe the brake controller. In addition to the hitch and 7 pin Bargman plug including in most towing packages, other things such as bigger output alternator, and bigger radiator may be included. Another important item is an auxiliary transmission cooler in vehicles with automatic transmissions. Most every vehicle with an automatic transmission has a cooler built into the radiator, but an auxiliary cooler helps cool the transmission even better when towing.....that can really heat up the tranny fluid. An auxiliary cooler looks like a small radiator, probably behind the grill somewhere.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #26

My 2013 Greywolf 26DBH with all our gear, propane tanks, groceries, cold beverages, and empty tanks (I don't haul water) is 7120 pounds. With the weight distributing hitch set up fairly high, I can get allot of tongue weight onto my front axle. The tongue weight on just my rear axle vs truck with nothing on it at all was only 380 pounds heavier. This is an easy trailer to pull and we enjoy using it (always had crappy old heavy campers before, this was our first brand new one)
Old 07-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #27

Ihave th exact vehicle u r purchasing. my question is what differential gear ratio does it have? Mine has 3.55 so mymax tow capacity is 7250 lbs. Mysuv has the tow package and came with hitch, plug, tranny cooler,power steeering cooler. If you plan onputting alot of peopleinthe aspen I dont think it will do very well. I tow my roo 233s with my wifeand 4 year old daughter which equal the150 theygive you for base weight. Soadd me and fuel. Thats it. Everyone else drives themselves.

Here are numbers for my aspen

Dry weight 5300
Gvwr 6700
Me 230
Fuel 100
Trailerhitch weight 565 dry

Add those up and 6200 of a max 6700.

My trailer is 4452 dry. I have to weigh it yet but it is around 5100 the gcwr of the aspen is 12500 i have 1200 lbs to spare.

I think thats to much trailer for the aspen
jgroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Dave-
I do not know? That was a question we asked-if it had a tow package. The salesman at the dealership said that it did-however- it does NOT have a hitch or plugs! That is why I am questioning if it does.
I've never heard of a factory tow package that didn't include a hitch and 7 pin plug. You should have the dealership run your VIN and give you a complete printout of standard and optional equipment. As already mentioned, you need to verify the rear end gear ratio as it a huge factor in towing capability.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote