Old 10-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I believe that "chucking" occurs when there is motion (Up and Down and Fore and Aft) between the king pin and the FW hitch while moving. The cause may be from perhaps having too much play/clearance between the FW king pin and the hitch locking jaws. But remember that there has to be some play/clearance between the two or you would have a very difficult time turning your FW...I do check both the king pin and hitch for wear also and have not seen anything abnormal yet.

That is my take on it.
I had "chucking" on my brand new hitch & 5th wheel this Feb from the minute I picked it up from the dealer and everything was 'brand new'. I found the clunking noise was from the hitch itself had clearance between the hitch legs and the rails in the bed. Eliminated that clearance by making 0.075" thick steel shims and installing them between the rails and the legs. The 'chucking' was still there but the 'take off and stopping' noise was gone. In my opinion the chucking or dolphining is caused by the trailer suspension bouncing and rocking forward on the hitchpin. I eliminated that by installing Monroe SensaMatic shocks on all 4 wheels of the trailer. Now, it follows the contour of the road and doesn't continue the chucking. If the road has one swale in it, the trailer goes over the swale and does not telegraph or continue bouncing. After installing the shocks on the trailer, I can say that this 5er is the "sweetest" towing trailer I've ever owned, bar none and I've been towing rv trailers since '75 and racecar trailers since '64.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Left rear.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	20505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearance to tire.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	20506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left front under trailer.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	20507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unlatched pulling away 1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	20510  

Old 10-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
Current River Rat

Air Lift or air bags are a great addition to towing comfort.Not that expensive and with onboard controller easy to adjust. On TT's you might have to reset your hitch.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
I had "chucking" on my brand new hitch & 5th wheel this Feb from the minute I picked it up from the dealer and everything was 'brand new'. I found the clunking noise was from the hitch itself had clearance between the hitch legs and the rails in the bed. Eliminated that clearance by making 0.075" thick steel shims and installing them between the rails and the legs. The 'chucking' was still there but the 'take off and stopping' noise was gone. In my opinion the chucking or dolphining is caused by the trailer suspension bouncing and rocking forward on the hitchpin. I eliminated that by installing Monroe SensaMatic shocks on all 4 wheels of the trailer. Now, it follows the contour of the road and doesn't continue the chucking. If the road has one swale in it, the trailer goes over the swale and does not telegraph or continue bouncing. After installing the shocks on the trailer, I can say that this 5er is the "sweetest" towing trailer I've ever owned, bar none and I've been towing rv trailers since '75 and racecar trailers since '64.
I like the "shocks" idea ... How much did 4 cost you ??
Old 10-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
I like the "shocks" idea ... How much did 4 cost you ??
Around $300 for the 4. But I spent about 4 days total making all the brackets, etc and mounting them. Still have the drawings for the brackets.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #15

That's why I ordered the TrailAir Tri-Glide with my new Columbus. Hopefully it will minimize this issue, if I would have it. Also ordering some Timbrens for my Silverado, just in case.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
That's why I ordered the TrailAir Tri-Glide with my new Columbus. Hopefully it will minimize this issue, if I would have it. Also ordering some Timbrens for my Silverado, just in case.
I also have AirLift airbags and an onboard compressor. Don't like the idea of the Timbrens as there is no control over them. You take what you get. But some folks just love them.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #17

What do people think about the tri-glide, or similar such boxes?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
I will try to avoid these roads whenever possible...i am planning a detour away from I-75 south... from Monroe ,Mi... to the Ohio border.. when going to Florida this winter...i would like to hear more from those that have installed airbags in their pick-ups to help with "chucking"...
Aren't these roads in Mi a disgrace!! You should ride on I-69 and 496 around Lansing.. It's just awful.

<a href=http://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>http://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #19
Oklahoma Proud

I noticed when i tow with the trailer a little high in the front it has less chucking then when i tow with it level. I have a 5er with a 2500 hd tv.

Some people will say that you have to have it level but that is not the case. The linkage between the leaf spring shackles is called a equilizer and unless the angle is allowing the springs to contact the frame when bounced then it will be fine [ as long as it is not some crazy angle where the tail drags], if this does cause a problem hollar at me, i'll stand behind any advise i give.

MillerTime
Old 10-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsthetwoofus View Post
Aren't these roads in Mi a disgrace!! You should ride on I-69 and 496 around Lansing.. It's just awful.
Try I80 across Iowa, just one notch above a plowed field going across the furrows. The only difference is I80 doesn't have as much mud.