Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #21

I've tried different hitch heights and forward and back positions. The 5er sits as close to level as I can get it. I have a 03 2500hd with the b&w companion hitch. With the 8286ws axles I'm not sure if shocks will work. OldCoot is an expert on here so he might know more about them. Just not sure if I want to keep putting money into the truck. It has been used pulling a gooseneck with its previous owner so the truck itself might be wore out. I've pulled with 2 other trucks and no chucking. One being an 05 2500hd and the other a 06 dodge 2500 both diesels though mine is a gasser.
nwslmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwslmn View Post
I've tried different hitch heights and forward and back positions. The 5er sits as close to level as I can get it. I have a 03 2500hd with the b&w companion hitch. With the 8286ws axles I'm not sure if shocks will work. OldCoot is an expert on here so he might know more about them. Just not sure if I want to keep putting money into the truck. It has been used pulling a gooseneck with its previous owner so the truck itself might be wore out. I've pulled with 2 other trucks and no chucking. One being an 05 2500hd and the other a 06 dodge 2500 both diesels though mine is a gasser.
Trailers are the only highway vehicles with suspension that don't use shocks to control suspension bounce. Putting shocks on mine stopped the chucking on our rig, but supposedly "limpert" says they don't work. I guess TOWTA and I don't know what we experienced. I really don't recall "limpert" having driven my rig before and after, but with the CRS I have, I could be mistaken.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I agree the shock would help but LT Truck tires and D trailer tire stiffen up the rig enough for me to avoid the expense of driving to SC and have OC mod the shocks...lol
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #24

Lol I've read your post on your shocks and I don't have the same frame work as you. I also don't believe pin weight is the problem since I've pulled it with other TV.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #25

Chucking? What exactly is that? Maybe I am the only one that is unclear as to what exactly chucking is. I have experienced a nasty bounce as the five's pin weight comes down on the truck often related to bridges or concrete roads that have heaved up or have expansion joints? Can someone define chucking?
2021 Flagstaff Classic 8529IKBS
What do you say to comfort a friend who’s struggling with grammar? There, their, they’re.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:47 PM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Lol I've read your post on your shocks and I don't have the same frame work as you. I also don't believe pin weight is the problem since I've pulled it with other TV.

I would bet a dollar to a donut that the configuration is the same.
Takes about a week and $400 to put them on. I have drawings if you have access to a welder (for brackets) and a metal cutting band saw (I don't use cutting torches on anything I fabricate). There is no welding on the trailer frame either.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I agree the shock would help but LT Truck tires and D trailer tire stiffen up the rig enough for me to avoid the expense of driving to SC and have OC mod the shocks...lol
Concord, NORTH Carolina.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #28

Chucking Is you trailer Banging forward on stops banking backwards on a take off and bouncing down the highway on your hitch. If I can leave a glass coffee pot on the counter and my storage cabinets do not have cans fall out or when you open your refer when you after setting it up your trailer is not the problem. Look at your tow vehicle. It's the pin noise that you here and feel as the pin either moves back and forth or up and down. Now saying that if I make a turn that says 45 mph and I'm going 60 mph things will slide around but not bounce which is chucking to me. But I also drive a F250 that can carry double that weight. No air bags required I do not squat at all the rear springs do not drop even an inch. That is chucking to me. Maybe I'm wrong but I have no problem all units will have a little no matter what anyone says. Try highway 95 in SC I bounce all over the place the worst highway in the USA, so I expect it there.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:31 PM   #29
Mod free 5er

I had "chucking" on my brand new hitch & 5th wheel in Feb 2012from the minute I picked it up from the dealer and everything was 'brand new'. I found the clunking noise was from the hitch itself had clearance between the hitch legs and the rails in the bed. Eliminated that clearance by making 0.075" thick steel shims and installing them between the rails and the legs. The 'chucking' was still there but the 'take off and stopping' noise was gone. In my opinion the chucking or dolphining is caused by the trailer suspension bouncing and rocking forward on the hitch pin. I eliminated that by installing Monroe SensaMatic shocks on all 4 wheels of the trailer. Now, it follows the contour of the road and doesn't continue the chucking. If the road has one swale in it, the trailer goes over the swale and does not telegraph or continue bouncing. After installing the shocks on the trailer, I can say that this 5er is the "sweetest" towing trailer I've ever owned, bar none and I've been towing rv trailers since '75 and racecar trailers since '64.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Left front under trailer.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	65854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left rear.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	65855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right front.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	65856   Click image for larger version

Name:	RR Shock.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	65857  
Old 11-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #30

old coot is correct, add shocks to the camper axles! if you want a good example take the shocks off your truck and go for a drive down the interstate at 70+ mph and you see exactly what they are doing for your ride!! i experienced this with my new toy hauler using a reece 16k hitch. that hitch was junk, i hung it off the pin by hand and couldn't believe the slop in the hitch. i called them and they said it has to be there to get the side to side motion. i not only added the dexter ez flex system but shocks to all 4 wheels at the same time. i also at the same time changed out the hitch to one of these Air Ride Hitch the difference was and is incredible compared to before!! wouldn't go back personally and now with this hitch when you take off ( with the forward and aft absorption) you can't feel the fiver behind the truck.

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #31

My old shocks were shot and the new ones only helped take the major jurk out. I have the dexter ez flex already standard from the factory.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #32

Quote:
My old shocks were shot and the new ones only helped take the major jurk out. I have the dexter ez flex already standard from the factory.
i quit using manroe on my truck and trailers cause they are complete junk compared to kyb. i put kyb mono max on my truck and camper , far far better imo and personal experiance. they do make the empty ride a little stiffer over monroe but then monroe do not control the load of the camper near as well as kyb mono max. i used the mono max on my camper too, used one for a tacoma rear but in the kyb mono max tow shock. the air hitch made a huge diff too with forward and aft absorbtion. not all systems that come on the campers are the dexter ez flex systems with wet bolts. there are other brand names and not all are the same. does your say ez flex on it?

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #33
Mod free 5er

Those that have never had shocks on trailers just don't know what a difference they make. They use all sorts of excuses/reasons why they don't THINK they are needed. They just don't know any better IMO.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
i quit using manroe on my truck and trailers cause they are complete junk compared to kyb. i put kyb mono max on my truck and camper , far far better imo and personal experiance. they do make the empty ride a little stiffer over monroe but then monroe do not control the load of the camper near as well as kyb mono max. i used the mono max on my camper too, used one for a tacoma rear but in the kyb mono max tow shock. the air hitch made a huge diff too with forward and aft absorbtion. not all systems that come on the campers are the dexter ez flex systems with wet bolts. there are other brand names and not all are the same. does your say ez flex on it?
Yes they say ez on them. Stamped on the outside of the drums. You are correct OC that we have the same axles.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #35

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Concord, NORTH Carolina.
Oops I knew I would get in trouble.... Sorry OC..lol
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #36
Mod free 5er

Putting shocks on a spring suspension is pretty easy, putting it on a torsion axle is a little more challenging as you have to design a method to attach the shock to the spindle/backing plate bolts.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Those that have never had shocks on trailers just don't know what a difference they make. They use all sorts of excuses/reasons why they don't THINK they are needed. They just don't know any better IMO.
I would then assume FR doesn't know either or they would come with them. I'm sure they help but are not a must have, in FR's opinion in your opinion yes. I do not know of to many FR units that come with shocks installed. Good question for the factory, not saying your wrong but if they are needed why aren't they installing them instead of flex axles? Just a question. It would cost the average person around 600 to 800 dollars to have them installed. For a little chucking? They have hitches to do that, but shocks on a trailer will not stop the chucking from quick stops or acceleration. Might help on a rough road I agree but really where does it stop. I guess some people can't stand it and others like me really do not care, nothing falls over or cabinets doors open from things falling out I can put up with a little chucking and save 800.00 bucks. More power to the person who can do it on there own and design something, way past my pay grade.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #38
Mod free 5er

The dexter ez flex system is just a fancy walking beam which softens the ride of the spring suspension. It does nothing for eliminating chucking or dolphining. FR is not going to put anything on a trailer that will make the trailer ride more pleasant. Using the logic "if it were needed, FR would furnish it", why doesn't FR equip all the 5ers with an air ride or shock absorber pin box? All I can say is I've towed thousands of miles with spring suspension trailers, torsion suspension trailers, trailers with and without shocks and this trailer with shocks is the best towing trailer I've ever towed, bar none. Any how, I'm outta here.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #39

Quote:
The dexter ez flex system is just a fancy walking beam which softens the ride of the spring suspension. It does nothing for eliminating chucking or dolphining. FR is not going to put anything on a trailer that will make the trailer ride more pleasant. Using the logic "if it were needed, FR would furnish it", why doesn't FR equip all the 5ers with an air ride or shock absorber pin box? All I can say is I've towed thousands of miles with spring suspension trailers, torsion suspension trailers, trailers with and without shocks and this trailer with shocks is the best towing trailer I've ever towed, bar none. Any how, I'm outta here.
Well thank you for your information, you never stop surprising me with your knowledge on such matters. You should be an engineer for FR. With you that would put FR up there with such units as Deluxe Suites. Have a wonderful night and thank you for your point of view. My point of view is they try to turn out a decent trailer that people do not have to break the bank for. As you stated it would take special brackets that you designed to attach them, Most folks don't own a CAD or FR will not supply the parts needed to do it, or believe that they are needed with the suspension system that they installed already. Why redesign the Golden gate bridge, if it not broke don't fix it. In your own words I'm also outta here. THANKS PS: as stated before an air ride or shock system can't fit in the framing of 10" It will fit on higher end units such as CC, Saber and Columbus. Not Rockwood or flagstaff. People have a choice what to purchase.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootdawg View Post
Mine happens mostly on cement especially bridges. I am getting some air bags installed on the bed this winter.
X2 - bridges tend to suck. If you happen to have a reese sidewinder 15K, we were advised by the Goshen Weight Police to raise our hitch up one notch. This has had the dual effect of eliminating chucking (only a slight chuck on bridges now) and repositioning the weight distribution toward the rear of the 5er (the scales said we were a tad front heavy). YMMV but it worked for us!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood