Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
X2 - bridges tend to suck. If you happen to have a reese sidewinder 15K, we were advised by the Goshen Weight Police to raise our hitch up one notch. This has had the dual effect of eliminating chucking (only a slight chuck on bridges now) and repositioning the weight distribution toward the rear of the 5er (the scales said we were a tad front heavy). YMMV but it worked for us!
Bamabob, did they increase the capacity of the revolution's on the newer Units? mine came with a 10k sidewinder only kinda of boarder line glad they did that, a stronger unit. All that has to be done is for the federal gov. to use some of that tax dollar from the gas tax and start to repair our roads they are all falling apart. Who is the Goshen weight police? are you still level I have a whole to raise mine, That would be the ticket if it didn't take it out of level. Thanks for that input.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Well thank you for your information, you never stop surprising me with your knowledge on such matters. You should be an engineer for FR. With you that would put FR up there with such units as Deluxe Suites. Have a wonderful night and thank you for your point of view. My point of view is they try to turn out a decent trailer that people do not have to break the bank for. As you stated it would take special brackets that you designed to attach them, Most folks don't own a CAD or FR will not supply the parts needed to do it, or believe that they are needed with the suspension system that they installed already. Why redesign the Golden gate bridge, if it not broke don't fix it. In your own words I'm also outta here. THANKS PS: as stated before an air ride or shock system can't fit in the framing of 10" It will fit on higher end units such as CC, Saber and Columbus. Not Rockwood or flagstaff. People have a choice what to purchase.
well first off .....the $100k units and up do come with shock abosobers standard. forest river does know they make a diff but are not required by law to install them so that is extra money they can get out of you. just simply stating that if they were needed then fr would have installed them is no excuse and really an over all incredible thing to say! dealerships really don't know to much other than what the brochure says and how to write up the paper work. if you really think these campers are indeed engineered like automobiles or motor bikes then you are horribly mistaken! i bought all the parts needed to add shocks to my toy hauler fiver from dexter and 4 mono max shocks for under $400. the only special tool needed was a welder if i didn't want to bolt the upper shock mounts on. i made all new upper mounts because i didn't like there's but there kit is for the most basic tools found in a garage and i do include a welder in a basic tool set but understand that thought isn't shared by most. like old coot said there is no excuse not to add shocks. if you really want to know what they do for suspension remove the rear shock from you truck and make a run down the highway or interstate. the first crack you run over will have you changing lanes!!

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrace View Post
well first off .....the $100k units and up do come with shock abosobers standard. forest river does know they make a diff but are not required by law to install them so that is extra money they can get out of you. just simply stating that if they were needed then fr would have installed them is no excuse and really an over all incredible thing to say! dealerships really don't know to much other than what the brochure says and how to write up the paper work. if you really think these campers are indeed engineered like automobiles or motor bikes then you are horribly mistaken! i bought all the parts needed to add shocks to my toy hauler fiver from dexter and 4 mono max shocks for under $400. the only special tool needed was a welder if i didn't want to bolt the upper shock mounts on. i made all new upper mounts because i didn't like there's but there kit is for the most basic tools found in a garage and i do include a welder in a basic tool set but understand that thought isn't shared by most. like old coot said there is no excuse not to add shocks. if you really want to know what they do for suspension remove the rear shock from you truck and make a run down the highway or interstate. the first crack you run over will have you changing lanes!!
I agree but you would need special brackets to install shocks on a AL-KO axle is my point. I do not own a toy hauler with springs and such we are not talking apples to apples. And I do not believe that it is an over "incredible" thing to say Please find me a kit that FR sells to add shocks to an AL-KO axle? They do not have one and we are talking about a whole lot of different dry weight. I have not found a add on shock kit yet. If you know of one please pass the information on. Even Al-KO web site they do not list one so you have to engineer it yourself. I don't have the capability to do that. Even if I wanted to add the shocks, Plus my unit was 1/3 the cost you quoted. I bought what I can afford. I'm not going into hock to get shock absorbers on a unit. We enjoy ours just find as it is set up. A little chucking doesn't bother me. I guess I'm just"incredible as you stated". Thanks for your reply and enjoy your day.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #44

i bought my 2011 wp 295 toy hauler as a 1 year left over model and payed $24,900 out the door. i did not spend $100k + on any unit and would not if i could. i am not an engineer but i am a seasoned fabricator and mechanic. you do not have to be an engineer to fabricate shock mounts. now i understand not everyone can do this for what ever reason. i too bought what i could afford and it is not the nicest rig on the road but it serves my purpose and with my mods for my app it has been even nicer. adding shocks, imo, is a simple and need addition. now explaining this to people is not easy just as explaining to people the diff between bumper pull and fifth wheel or gooseneck trailers and that is comparing apples to oranges. until most experience the diff for themselves they just can't understand. i only quoted that expensive of a unit to explain that they do indeed come with them and that they do know the diff they make. i do not run torsion axles on any of my trailers because of the limitations of torsion axles and the way they wear per-maturely when loaded close to there limits. they do prob offer the best ride on pavement but are not the longest lasting design and i say that from personal experience when loaded with real weight, not the cheaper ones that come stock on campers anyways. i will look around for a bolt on kit for torsion axles and it doesn't have to be by the manufacturer of the axles, were talking about shock absorption which are not used to hold anything up just absorb shock loads so the mounts don't have to be extremely structural but just solid and close to the right angle for max shock stroke.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:36 PM   #45

Quote:
i bought my 2011 wp 295 toy hauler as a 1 year left over model and payed $24,900 out the door. i did not spend $100k + on a any unit and would not if i could. i am not an engineer but i am a seasoned fabricator and mechanic. you do not have to be an engineer to fabricate shock mounts. now i understand not everyone can do this for what ever reason. i too bought what i could afford and it is not the nicest rig on the road but it serves my purpose and with my mods for my app it has been even nicer. adding shocks imo is a simple and need addition. now explaining this to people is not easy just as explaining to people the diff between bumper pull and fifth wheel or gooseneck trailers and that is comparing apples to oranges. until most experience for themselves they just can't understand. i only quoted that expensive of a unit to explain that they do indeed come with them and that they do know the diff they make. i do not run torsion axles on any of my trailers because of the limitations of torsion axles and the way the wear when loaded close to there limits. they do prob offer the best ride on pavement but are not the longest lasting design and i say that from personal experience when loaded with real weight, not the cheaper ones that come stock on campers anyways. i will look around for a bolt on kit for torsion axles and it doesn't have to be by the manufacturer of the axles, were talking about shock absorption which are not used to hold anything up just absorb shock loads so the mounts don't have to be extremely structural but just solid and close to the right angle for max shock stroke.
Well thank you I will look forward to see what you can find that will work with AL-KO, I have searched and can not find any, I have nothing against shocks I know the purpose of them. But I can't find any kits that would be approved by AL-KO. I know that OC designed his on his CAD but I'm not the same pay grade as him. Please let me know if you can find some that would work with the axles on my unit. I can always take the kit to my tire shop and have them installed because I know nothing about max stroke or anything else. I'm sure I can get the max stroke and info from there web site. Thanks for your help...

Old 11-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #46

Casita Shock Absorber Kit

give these guys a shout after you check out there product.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Well thank you I will look forward to see what you can find that will work with AL-KO, I have searched and can not find any, I have nothing against shocks I know the purpose of them. But I can't find any kits that would be approved by AL-KO. Please let me know if you can find some that would be approved by the manufacturer. Thanks for your help...
the 4 bolt mount for the drum brakes is actually an easy place to make a plate to mount the shocks. as far as AL-KO approved, why would they need to be? are you worried about warranty or something? if the manufacturer doesn't offer them but they are on campers with their axles, then where do you think those mounts came from? my guess would be an aftermarket source. i can completely understand per-ferring a bolt on option from the manufacturer and the majority of times i would too but not always the best or an option.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:46 PM   #48

they have a video on there site you might like to watch
and watch this one for AL KO

here are a pair for sale on ebay and you need 1 pair per axle so $140 for a tandem axle trailer plus shipping which looks like another $70 for both pair. hope this helps
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-RED-ALK...item2a464e43f7

Old 11-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #49
Mod free 5er

Quote:
they have a video on there site you might like to watch
and watch this one for AL KO

here are a pair for sale on ebay and you need 1 pair per axle so $140 for a tandem axle trailer plus shipping which looks like another $70 for both pair. hope this helps
The Alko torsion axles on FR products will not accept the kits shown. They are for special built units in Europe/England. I have drawing of brackets that will fit the FR Alko units. I will make them, but they will be costly as they are labor intensive. The brackets for the trailer frame mounts are likewise labor intensive and a regular tire shop or rv dealer is not going to be able to install them. I don't have instructions for them and am not going to write any. Someone with mechanical know how and can read prints would not have much of a problem provided they have the equipment to cut, weld, etc.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #50

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I have dexter ez lube. on my 8289. The amount of chucking I have is minimal in all reality. With the lift kit in the axles I tow level now and do T really want to screw that up. I know I know I am pin heavy and don't really care. 95% of my towing is 2 lane blacktop at 55 with no issues. Shocks would be nice.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The Alko torsion axles on FR products will not accept the kits shown. They are for special built units in Europe/England. I have drawing of brackets that will fit the FR Alko units. I will make them, but they will be costly as they are labor intensive. The brackets for the trailer frame mounts are likewise labor intensive and a regular tire shop or rv dealer is not going to be able to install them. I don't have instructions for them and am not going to write any. Someone with mechanical know how and can read prints would not have much of a problem provided they have the equipment to cut, weld, etc.
You are correct OC I just got off the phone with AL-KO, They said and I quote "That they do not recommend shocks for there torsion axles and do not sell kits". The reason that I was given is that each wheel acts as it's own shock, and gave an example of hitting a pot hole. Do I believe it NO. She did say that they have kits for the leaf spring AL-KO / Dexter axles. The engineer I talked to was Named Heather @ 574-294-6651. So I guess in conclusion your design would be the only one that I know of that will work. and just a side note from my conversation Dexter bought out AL-KO USA.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #52
Mod free 5er

The only purpose of shocks is to control the vertical rebound of the spindle/axle regardless of whether the suspension is coil springs, leaf springs, torsion bars or Alko type rubber torsion. The only suspension that has it's own rebound control is the coil over shock type suspension like on race cars or the more common MacPherson strut.

Tags
rockwood