Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #1

Chucking with my Rockwood 8289

I am using the Sidewinder feature on my Rockwood 8289 ,towing with my Ford F250. I am experiencing chucking and being new to 5th wheel towing and being in the UK where advice is scarce ,can anyone give me advice? I have found online that several people have found the Mor/Ryde pin box greatly helps.But can I fit this with the Sidewinder hitch?
My truck hitch is a Reese R16.
Any advice much appreciated.
Rodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
I am using the Sidewinder feature on my Rockwood 8289 ,towing with my Ford F250. I am experiencing chucking and being new to 5th wheel towing and being in the UK where advice is scarce ,can anyone give me advice? I have found online that several people have found the Mor/Ryde pin box greatly helps.But can I fit this with the Sidewinder hitch?
Doubtful, but I really don't know. Shocks on the trailer stopped it on my Flagstaff.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #3

Like OC, I would check your shocks - how old is your 5th Wheel?

Chucking is typically caused by worn shocks and/or low pin weight.

Weight distribution is pretty important; best case is heavier in the front of the 5er. What you do NOT want is to have all your heavy stuff in the back (use your basement, that's what it is there for

On a totally different Vein You are a towing GOD!

I was stationed in the UK for over 4 years when I was in the Air Force and no way would I ever had the guts to yank a 8289 with a F250 down some of THOSE back roads

For those un-informed as to what I mean... Here is a photo of the A38 Country Lane 2 some Brits consider this a wide road
I suspect you are strictly a Motorway driver with that rig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a38countrylane2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	59138  
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

I put shocks on my TRAILER to stop the chucking. Truck shocks were good even before and I had chucking.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #5

Quote:
I am using the Sidewinder feature on my Rockwood 8289 ,towing with my Ford F250. I am expeiencing chucking and being new to 5th wheel towing and being in the UK where advice is scarce ,cn anyone give me advice? I have found online that several people have found the Mor/Ryde pin box greatly helps.But can I fit this with the Sidewinder hitch?
You CAN NOT install a Mor ride. The reason is that the Revelation is framed in a 10" space it will not fit. Your unit pin box and trailer was designed to fit that hitch alone. If you wanted a new hitch with the shocks that would work. You can PM Rodeo George he was going to do the same thing. You would have to change the framing to use that. This has been discussed in length. I still do think that will stop the chucking. You really can't add that much weight to change the distributions in my opinion no matter what anyone says. You can only add a total of like 1350 lbs. Now count in the propane and battery and water that you carry. You can get to gross weight and it still will not stop. The revolution is framed in so you can not add a 14" wide pin box or what ever the dimensions are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Factory Tour 001.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	59141  

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I had chucking when I first had the 8289 on my F150. LT tires which I assume are on the F250 already and weight. I put some weight over the pin. Between clothes, ladder under the bed and various other things in the basement (100 lbs of tools etc) it stopped.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #7

There is noway in IMO that you can stop all chucking it is the nature of the beast. Drive down I-95 in SC. and tell me that. Mine will chuck at stops and acceleration. And going down one of Americas great roads. Concrete is the worst. What is your pin weight?

Old 07-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #8

Thanks to everyone for your advices and help. Not sure what my noseweight is- how do I measure it? Excuse my naivety but I'm new to all this Only been out a couple of times but off to France in 2 weeks- and yes done those "narrow" off motorway roads- but motorways are easier!! I work on the principal, anywhere a HGV truck can go, so can I.
Thanks again
Rodders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for your advices and help. Not sure what my noseweight is- how do I measure it? Excuse my naivety but I'm new to all this Only been out a couple of times but off to France in 2 weeks- and yes done those "narrow" off motorway roads- but motorways are easier!! I work on the principal, anywhere a HGV truck can go, so can I.
Thanks again
For me I would send a PM to Dave_monica, To me he is The best person on the forum. He will get back to you. He helped me out the most. Others here will help and are very Knowledgeable. But he breaks it down in easy terms, nothing ment against other members but to me he is the best. That is just my opinion and no insults intended...... Hay it took me 3x's on the scales before I got to mine which is 1640 lbs. He was very good with me.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #10

When we first took delivery on the 8289 we had some pretty serious chucking. After taking a good look at things the RV was sitting a bit nose down when hooked to the truck on a level surface. I raised the hitch in the truck 1", didn't take out all the chucking but it sure got rid of most of it. Pretty comfortable ride now for the most part. Also slowing down on really rough roads helps.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:43 AM   #11

Driving I69 out of Port Huron we had the worst chucking ever. Smoothed out after we were on newer concrete. Before this very rare did u have any problems. Depends on the road and speed from my experience.
B

Sent from my Z30 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 09-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #12

I have the same issue with mine. We have the 8286 with the revolution pin box and I'm using the b&w companion hitch. I've towed with 2 other trucks with a reese 15k and curt 16k hitch. I had no chucking with either one. Hitch and camper heights were all really close or identical. Is it possible I have a hitch/pin box combination that doesn't work together?
nwslmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #13

When referring to chucking, is that the 5th wheel pushing the truck back and forth on roads or the bounce? I'm a real noob, only 2 trips in the 5ver and I also have the 150 ecoboost. DW and me travel extremely light.
Scootdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:11 PM   #14

Yes back and forth. I'm pretty sure that it in my truck. Just not sure what is wrong. Looking at a newer truck in the sping.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #15
fx2

Chucking with my Rockwood 8289

Could be TV or TT shocks. Some have has great success in eliminating chucking by adding airbags to TV

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #16

I only have chucking on cement roads and most severe in Michigan. I ready think its a oscillation setup between the trailer wheels/hitch /TV wheels. Braking slightly breaks the loop.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #17

I did put new shocks on the rear but didn't help. It does it on all roads. Thanks on the tips.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I only have chucking on cement roads and most severe in Michigan. I ready think its a oscillation setup between the trailer wheels/hitch /TV wheels. Braking slightly breaks the loop.
Mine happens mostly on cement especially bridges. I am getting some air bags installed on the bed this winter.
Scootdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #19
Mod free 5er

I had chucking also with new shocks all around on my truck, by designing and installing shocks on the 5er, I got rid of it. I also had air bags, but the trailer shocks is what eliminates the chucking.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #20

It could be anything from the hitch to pin weight,shocks and the roads. I only get it if a hit the breaks hard or start to fast. Nothing going down the highway, no special shocks or air bags. Could also be how level your unit is. I did put the best Monroe's made on my TV. They took a lot of bounce out of the truck made my wife a lot happier. I know my unit not bouncing being I leave a coffee pot on the counter and it doesn't move and also nothing shifts in my cabinets or refer. My pin weight if I remember right is over 1700 lbs. I don't know if you can really get rid of it without going with the shock type hitch and pin box. But for sure I'm no expert on it, but it's a common complaint by most members. And you can't use the air ride box because the revolution is only boxed in with 10" inches between the frame. I asked limpert (spelled Correctly) when they installed my level up system and said shocks would not help on my trailer but who knows some people swear by them. I just live with it, it's not that bad on mine like I said. There suppose to be the experts not me.

Tags
rockwood