Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2019, 12:34 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Gsykora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 452
Class A license for Texas

My license is due for renewal in March and I'm going to start the process to get my Non Commercial Class A at that time. Our rig consists of a an F350 dually with a GVWR of 14,000 lbs and a Cedar Creek 36CK2 with a GVWR of 16,900lbs, so a Combined Gross weight of 30,900 lbs, way over the 26,000lb limit for the normal Class C license. I know it's not heavily enforced in Texas but I figure why risk it. Besides, it's only $11 for the application, a 20 question test and hopefully a simple "skills" test. Found a great write up on another site on the steps to follow to get this done that I'm following. If anyone on here from Texas has gone through this process, I'd love your to see your comments.
__________________

__________________
George & Nancy, Allen, Texas
2015 F350 CC, DRW, LB, Platinum Edition
2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2


Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
My license is due for renewal in March and I'm going to start the process to get my Non Commercial Class A at that time. Our rig consists of a an F350 dually with a GVWR of 14,000 lbs and a Cedar Creek 36CK2 with a GVWR of 16,900lbs, so a Combined Gross weight of 30,900 lbs, way over the 26,000lb limit for the normal Class C license. I know it's not heavily enforced in Texas but I figure why risk it. Besides, it's only $11 for the application, a 20 question test and hopefully a simple "skills" test. Found a great write up on another site on the steps to follow to get this done that I'm following. If anyone on here from Texas has gone through this process, I'd love your to see your comments.
After you take your written tests on chapters 6 and 14, 20 questions each, schedule your driving test at a small town license office. They will get you in quicker, are friendlier, and obviously, the roads and traffic are better for the driving test. I took mine in Vernon, TX, and it was an enjoyable experience.
__________________

sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:40 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Gsykora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpierce View Post
After you take your written tests on chapters 6 and 14, 20 questions each, schedule your driving test at a small town license office. They will get you in quicker, are friendlier, and obviously, the roads and traffic are better for the driving test. I took mine in Vernon, TX, and it was an enjoyable experience.

Thanks. I think I'm going to schedule my driving test at the Canton office. That's only 1 1/2hrs or so from my house.
__________________
George & Nancy, Allen, Texas
2015 F350 CC, DRW, LB, Platinum Edition
2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2


Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Cedar Creek Lake, TX
Posts: 2,286
I have a class B license because I drive large fire trucks. Took the test in Corsicana but I've heard they no longer offer it there and many other offices. Confirm that Canton still offers it if you're not sure. 20 written question test as I recall and then the road test.
__________________
Cedar Creek Lake, Texas
2017 Wildwood 27 RLSS
2016 Ram 5.7L crewcab, 8 speed transmission
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:03 PM   #5
Member
 
Mr. Jiggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
Thanks. I think I'm going to schedule my driving test at the Canton office. That's only 1 1/2hrs or so from my house.
And Kudos to you for making an effort to be a better driver. I am not casting any stones here but I think a lot more people who jump into a big RV, whether a TT or a A or C pulling a toad, who have only ever driven a car or SUV should consider some form of training and preferably not on the interstate. I have personally seen several people cause a lot of damage to their own rigs just in parking lots, not to mention other "accidents" much more serious. When you are towing down the highway at 60 or 70 mph you really should have a good understanding of what could go wrong and what to do if it does happen.
Good luck with your test!
__________________
Greg and Pam
First time RV’ers
2018 Isata 5 36 DS 4x4
Flat towing 2017 Buick Envision
Blue Ox tow equipment
Mr. Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:04 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Gsykora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
I have a class B license because I drive large fire trucks. Took the test in Corsicana but I've heard they no longer offer it there and many other offices. Confirm that Canton still offers it if you're not sure. 20 written question test as I recall and then the road test.
Thanks. Yes, Canton shows on the DPS site as one of the Class A test centers, abut I'll certainly call/double check before going out there.
__________________
George & Nancy, Allen, Texas
2015 F350 CC, DRW, LB, Platinum Edition
2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2


Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:19 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
Thanks. Yes, Canton shows on the DPS site as one of the Class A test centers, abut I'll certainly call/double check before going out there.
Its also very easy to book your appointment online. Just be there an hour early. They arent kidding about that. Also have all insurance and registration / inspection originals with you. They dont like copies. My insurance card doesn't list my 5th wheel, and they refused to call the 800 number. Had to reschedule.
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:22 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Gsykora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpierce View Post
Its also very easy to book your appointment online. Just be there an hour early. They arent kidding about that. Also have all insurance and registration / inspection originals with you. They dont like copies. My insurance card doesn't list my 5th wheel, and they refused to call the 800 number. Had to reschedule.


Good catch. Our insurance cards don't show the 5th wheel either. I'll have to print one up just for it.
__________________
George & Nancy, Allen, Texas
2015 F350 CC, DRW, LB, Platinum Edition
2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2


Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:21 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
Good catch. Our insurance cards don't show the 5th wheel either. I'll have to print one up just for it.
I took my whole damned policy after that. That was when I decided to go to a small town office.
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:51 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Stockdale Texas
Posts: 309
I've had a Tx cdl license for over 30 years and never heard of a non cdl class a license. So I googled it and it says that rv's driven for personal use are exempt. Just an fyi before you fork out the $$$$ for that license.
__________________

ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
class a

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.