Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2019, 11:42 PM   #1

Class c towing

Considering getting a class c, concerned about the towing capabilities of what I see offered. Gasers with around 300 hp and not a lot of tourqe. I am used to pulling s TT with 3/4 ton GMC pickups (diesel) and can envision issues pulling any grades that I would encounter here in the West.
Thoughts?
mebeauc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:56 AM   #2

More than likely any of the larger class c's your considering will be a Ford with the V-10. If so, don't worry, it's a work horse.
Our 30 foot Lexington has pulled our Subaru Crosstrek (3300 lbs) over 45,000 miles, and criss crossed the lower USA, Canada and Alaska with no problem at all. Granted, traversing some of the long steep grades, you won't win a speed contest, but so what. The big rigs also slow way down on most of those same grades. Worst long grade was the I-70 strech running east bound into Denver...long grade, 7-8%. Still able to maintain 35-40 mph in the truck lane. Estes Park area, Rockies, Smokies, Canada, Alaska...never a problem. Never overheated, never a burp from the engine.
Heading out to Grand Teton and Yellowstone next week and don't even think/worry about mountains or grades. In fact, we try to plan our trips around the mountain runs as there the most senic.
Grumpaw

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #3

I pull at Jeep Patriot on a dolly all over the place with no hesitation. V-10 makes some noise at high rpms but it comes down.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:31 PM   #4

Ditto on the other replies. That Ford V10 is a beast. I have a 32 ft C and had a Ford Escape with a Dolly. I live in AZ and last year we toured the Rocky MT states before heading to WI for the summer without any problems. I now have a Ford C Max flat towing. Hardly know it's back there. I really haven't done any mountain traveling without towing so I cannot compare with or without, but keep the revs in the sweet spot and let er rip.
Dennys67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
DW's 401(k) Plan

My Sunseeker pulls my Liberty with no problems all around the Alleghenies. Plenty of power. [emoji106]

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, towing