Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2015, 10:08 PM   #1

Class V receiver, 2" WD hitch

I've recently picked up an F350 as a TV - with the factory 2.5" receiver...

My hitch - Fastway E2 - has a 2" drawbar.

My old F150 had a 2" hitch - no issues, but the 350 has a class 5 - I've got the Ford adapter - but am concerned there may be some slop or play in that setup.

Trailer is a Grey Wolf 28bh - about 7500# loaded out.

Fastway doesn't appear to offer a 2.5" drawbar option. Is the factory adapter the right tool for the job, or do I have better options available to me?

Nights Camped 2016: 44

Nights Booked 2017: 11
Nights Camped 2017: 6
OntarioFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:30 PM   #2

I use an adapter without issue with my Reese WD hitch. There is a little bit of play unhitched but once hooked up the weight of the trailer takes care of that.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:42 AM   #3

Almost all 2500 and 3500 trucks will use that reducer ! I have never heard of a problem except a little slop !
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
Site Team

Have the GM 2" reducer insert for the 2.5" receiver. Aftermarkets stuck out or in to far for my liking.
Towed my 8500 lbs lacrosse with 14k 4 pt equalizer no problem.

With lighter loads, utility trailer, boat, both light weight I do notice more banging around noise. But it still did the job.

Equalizer does offer a 2.5" shank.
Cant see why this wouldnt work. Might be worth looking into.
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...0-02-4800.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._dp_o_pC_S_ttl

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #5
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

$12 adapter from Home Depot or Walmart works fine.
Home Depot Adapter
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #6

I just spot welded my adapter in to the main receiver so it is always there. If the time comes that I don't need it, or want it out just a little grinding with a angle grinder and a cutter wheel will cut it loose.
Dale Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:10 PM   #7

I went through the same thing when I bought my 2500HD. The adapter fitment was not as good as I liked, it left LOTS of slop.
I found a Blue Ox 2 1/2" trunion on the net for less than $100 and set it up with my WDH. Works great. I also got a regular draw bar from Northern for my every day use with my work trailer. MUCH less movement and noise back there. Check my sig to see my setup. PM me if you want more info.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

Right before our Florida trip last month I swapped out the drop to a 2.5 shank as well. I did not like the movement in the 2500's 2.5 hitch. I actually noticed the hitch pin was starting to oval out the hitch's pin hole. Now there is NO movement and maybe I am crazy but I think it removed what little "sway" I felt, not that I felt much. Use and Equalizer 10K.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #9

Class V receiver and 2 inch hitch shank with adapter

I too have a class V receiver on my truck. I used a 2" shank Equalizer hitch for several years, then bought a new trailer and couldn't get as much weight transfer back to the front as I wanted. I decided my old hitch was too light and the solution would be a heavier hitch. I opted for the Blue Ox 15000 lb hitch. Even with that, I still didn't get enough weight transfer and I also had significant sway. I contacted Blue Ox customer support and they sent two technicians to my home to inspect the problem. They took one look at the setup and determined that excess slop due to the 2 1/2 inch receiver and adapter, was causing the head angle of the hitch to be too shallow. This resulted in the poor weight transfer and sway. They sent me a 2 1/2 inch shank free of charge and all problems went away. I now get as much weight transfer as I wish and absolutely no sway. Furthermore, the hitch pin holes of my receiver were all oval and enough material was expanded inside the receiver that it was impossible to remove the adapter. It took an hour of pounding and prying to get it out, then grinding to remove the swaged in material. This is all due to the slop inherent with using an adapter. I'd highly recommend getting a 2 1/2 inch hitch shank and you will be happy with the improvement. They are pretty universal and can be had from Blue Ox, or Equalizer.

P.S. All of my weight transfer issues were verified via trips to the scales. I can send you an XL spreadsheet with the comparisons if you wish.
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 01:25 PM   #10
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterrick View Post
I too have a class V receiver on my truck. I used a 2" shank Equalizer hitch for several years, then bought a new trailer and couldn't get as much weight transfer back to the front as I wanted. I decided my old hitch was too light and the solution would be a heavier hitch. I opted for the Blue Ox 15000 lb hitch. Even with that, I still didn't get enough weight transfer and I also had significant sway. I contacted Blue Ox customer support and they sent two technicians to my home to inspect the problem. They took one look at the setup and determined that excess slop due to the 2 1/2 inch receiver and adapter, was causing the head angle of the hitch to be too shallow. This resulted in the poor weight transfer and sway. They sent me a 2 1/2 inch shank free of charge and all problems went away. I now get as much weight transfer as I wish and absolutely no sway. Furthermore, the hitch pin holes of my receiver were all oval and enough material was expanded inside the receiver that it was impossible to remove the adapter. It took an hour of pounding and prying to get it out, then grinding to remove the swaged in material. This is all due to the slop inherent with using an adapter. I'd highly recommend getting a 2 1/2 inch hitch shank and you will be happy with the improvement. They are pretty universal and can be had from Blue Ox, or Equalizer.

P.S. All of my weight transfer issues were verified via trips to the scales. I can send you an XL spreadsheet with the comparisons if you wish.
So maybe I was not crazy thinking the sway went away with the shank change.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:02 PM   #11
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Makes me even more glad to have a dually. I'd never want to be that dependant on an equalizer hitch where a little play makes it sway.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch