Old 04-29-2014, 09:26 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangebrew View Post
Hey all,

Looking at an F150 ecoboost xlt 4x4 for a TV and came across one that has the 7350 pkg, 3.55 electronic slip with tow pkg, int. brake controller. The GVWR is 7350, but payload is only 1212 on it. We're looking at getting a Roo 19 so I'm confident this truck will handle it fine, but the payload seems kind of low for this vehicle. What do you guys think?
We tow our Roo (23IKSS) with an F-150, but it has the 3.73 gears and a little more payload capacity. The 3.55 sounds like it has the tow package, but not the max tow package, which increases the payload to 7500-7700 pound range and gives you the 3.73's. Then their is the max payload package, which really increases payload and therefore the true amount you can tow because it will allow for much more tongue weight. Overkill for the Roo 19.

The max payload package is not common. The max tow package is more readily available. But as a daily driver, you might like the 3.55 with the regular tow package better.

I think you would be fine with this truck pulling the 19 if you watch what you put in the truck. We do the same thing - I keep cargo in the bed to a minimum. I weighed ours, and the tongue was about 300 lbs over the brochure weight - 800 lbs total. But we have 2 batteries, plus propane on the tongue and all our gear in the trailer, so that seems reasonable.

I think your decision boils down to whether or not you think you might want to go bigger than the 19 at some point with this tv. If you do, and you have not bought anything yet, find the same truck with the max tow to get a little more payload capacity. Otherwise, you should have a good combination of tv/tt.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
This isn't actually an accurate statement. Every truck sticker I've ever seen, the GVWR has been lower than the combined axle ratings.
Agreed. My truck axles add up to 7600 lbs, but I have a 7200 GVWR.

The statement I made reflects on the current weight of the TV, not the GVWR. The total weight of a vehicle is the weight of all of the axles combined, and that includes the weight of the vehicle, passengers, cargo, and the weight of the trailer tongue (or pin weight). There some discussion earlier in the thread on whether tongue weight was considered in the gross weight of a vehicle......I tried to clarify that with my earlier statement.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #23
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post

The statement I made reflects on the current weight of the TV, not the GVWR. The total weight of a vehicle is the weight of all of the axles combined, and that includes the weight of the vehicle, passengers, cargo, and the weight of the trailer tongue (or pin weight). A statement was made earlier in the thread that indicated trailer tongue weight was not part of of the formula.
Heh, looks like 3 of us got confused with that one. I agree with you here.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:43 AM   #24

Go on the web and enter tow ratings fo the make, model, year of your truck. Or, you can contact the local Ford garage, and they should be able to tell you. Payload ratings also include passengers in the vehicle, etc. You can find these answers on the web also. Be safe.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I don't think that's always the case.
Well, if you have a 3 axle truck you are certainly correct.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #26

Quote:

The statement I made reflects on the current weight of the TV, not the GVWR. The total weight of a vehicle is the weight of all of the axles combined, and that includes the weight of the vehicle, passengers, cargo, and the weight of the trailer tongue (or pin weight). There some discussion earlier in the thread on whether tongue weight was considered in the gross weight of a vehicle......I tried to clarify that with my earlier statement.
I'm with you now.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #27
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
This isn't actually an accurate statement. Every truck sticker I've ever seen, the GVWR has been lower than the combined axle ratings.
I think he meant actual weight (ie gross weight) and not maximum gross weight. Gross weight is the actual weight on the truck frame.

Maximum Gross Weight is the maximum actual weight allowed by the manufacturer on the frame. Maximum Axle weight varies by axle and has no bearing on the overall MAXIMUM weight (just the maximum weight allowed on that particular axle) - (Unless of course it IS the weight limited item - never the case because there are two or more of them to share the load).

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #28

go weight your truck and then look at GCWR and do the math - that is your real payload figure.
Usually the published figure is 1/2 tank of gas and 150lb driver and nothing else...so tonneu covers, bed liners, the hitch, other options, people, full tank of gas, etc are part of what is 'payload'.

And yes, you can get to the vehicle limit in a big f'n hurry!
Our silverado has a GVWR of either 7k or 7200..forget which, but with us, the kids, dog, hitch, etc we're very close. Now we have plenty of towing capacity - so the simple solution is to move cargo into the TT.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Now I smell what you're steppin' in!
Old 04-29-2014, 11:00 AM   #30

Of course the axle ratings have to meet or exceed the truck GVWR rating.
And I'm sure the engineers pick a 'max' figure for a vehicle line and make axles that will exceed the design parameters. Then just use those axles under ALL cars/trucks in that line.
You see it with TT too.
And the tires total weight carrying capacity has to exceed the GVWR also.

Remember, you're limited by the weakest link - and we have no idea what that may be.

And if you want to nit picks, wheels and tires are part of the GVW but since they are not supported by the axles/suspension they are not part of your GVWR. So bigger/heavier tires will show on teh scale but won't have much impact on carrying capacity.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote