Old 10-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Concerns about Safe Towing

I am new to the TT world and have been reading forums to learn all I can about possible issues. I have 2012 Wildwood 26BHXLT that I currently tow with a 2005 Ford Explorer w/tow package. My concern is in regard to a few post responses I have seen stating that it is dangerous to tow a long trailer with a Midsize SUV. My TT is 27 1/2 feet long and my Explorer has a 113 inch wheelbase. I have a good quality WTH, anti-sway controller, and a properly calibrated break controller installed. I realize that the Explorer is not the ideal tow vehicle for a longer trailer and that I am very close to my maximum tow capacity and that prolonged towing is not the healthiest thing for the Explorer.
I am wondering why it would be “dangerous’ to tow a 28 ft trailer with a midsize SUV as long as it is not overweight on the tow capacity. One person actually put it “I would not risk the safety of my family by towing a 28ft trailer with a midsize SUV.” We bought this trailer to enjoy camping with our two young children and after reading a few of these comments I am questioning the Explorer’s ability to be a safe tow vehicle.
I am not planning on towing my trailer on long trips (over 100 miles) until I can trade it in on a more suitable vehicle (either F-150 or Dodge Ram 1500), but that is a year or so down the road. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated

mewildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Remember that you are reading someone's opinion and that may not be asked on anything other than opinion, look at what other people are using around the campgrounds you go to. You could have the best setup possible and there would always be someone who thought it would be better some other way.

"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
I would agree that your Explorer is not an adequate tow vehicle for this big a trailer. Distance you are towing may not matter much, as mishaps can happen just about anywhere.

How does it feel when you tow? Does the trailer push your SUV around alot? Do you have "white knuckle" moments when trucks pass you by? Can you maintain an adequate speed going up hills? Do you still have sway in certain situations?

Regardless of the numbers and what people's opinions are, you are the one who has to determine how safe you feel towing it with your family in the car. If it feels questionable to you at all, then you have your answer.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
Its really not that black and white......think of it more as a gradient from safe to absolutely not......

Given, what you tow, how far you tow, where you tow, and your experience, where do you feel that line is?....

Being at max capacity on a short wheelbase vehicle leaves you with very little saftey margin, but some are perfectly happy to ride that line and tow that doesnt mean you are overloaded....if you are confident in your driving and understand the limitations and extra attention that needs to be given to the vehicle and conditons you may face, then go for it.....

Obviously a bigger tow vehicle would provide a larger margin of 'saftey net'....but its your car and your if i set my margin at 50% of max capacity, then given YOUR situation, i would be out of my acceptable comfort range.....that does not make me absolutely universally right, and you wrong......

Happy camping!
2015 F350 Platinum Fx4 6.7 Diesel Dually. B&W turnover, B&W Companion, air bags and wireless controller.
2015 Heartland Road Warrior 420 Rt
2012 f250 Fx4 6.7 Diesel crew cab tinted n tuned
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Engineer of Crazy Train
It is a bit big, but I know of someone who does it with a Liberty Diesel.
TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
If this is what you can afford then just remember that you need to keep more distance between things and just go a bit slower. Remember this is a vacation even if it is just weekends.

I would say that spending this time with your family is invaluable and your kids will not soon forget it.

Happy Camping!!
Shane & Antoinette
2012 Ford F-450 SuperDuty
2013 Crusader 355BHQ
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Hey, we're in the same boat. Sure, we'd like to have a bigger tow vehicle, but right now we have a 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Track (V6 4x4) and strongly considered buying the very same camper you DID buy. We live in the mountains of VA and probably won't plan to take any trips out to Wyoming or the Grand least not until we can justify spending the money to buy a F-150, but we were told by a mechanic the F-150 wouldn't tow that much more than what we have...same engine. We have 2 kids and will be towing our camper at least once a month all spring and summer!

If you feel comfortable towing the camper, (obviously you did before you read that forum) TOW it. Have the transmission fluid changed every year in your Explorer and have fun!! But then, my parents let me drive a 1974 Ford Pinto around as a I'm used to risk.
2007 Ford F-150
2007 240BH K-Z Spree
+ 2 kiddos
+ 1 canoe (with fishing equipment)
+ 1 yellow lab
A great time had by all!!
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
Engineer of Crazy Train
If you do use it, I would put a tyranny cooler and find LT tires that fit.
TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
Moderators' Assistant
first, does your Exploder have the v-6 or the v-8? that alone will make a big difference.

if it's the v-6, you're way over your head!!!!
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
Oklahoma Proud

I believe the op doesn't think that their setup is safe, otherwise they wouldn't have posted the question.

I don't like pulling our 3500lb ski boat with my dw Z71 tahoe. So I pull my 5er with a D-max.

Just my $0.02!!!

MillerTime is online now   Reply With Quote