Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 05:52 AM   #21

When you talk about personal property tax you open another can of worms as each county or city in Virginia is different. Most go by what you paid for the vehicle then blue book value as it gets older. Some prorate time some do not. All have different rates.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:11 AM   #22

our pp tax is 4.5%, unless you qualify for a lower rate by 28% reduction through tax relief.

For NY, weight adjustments include a pro rated fee, see how nice and clear NY is, why cant VA clarify this on their website!

now here is how ny state does this weight thing.
Amending MGW
To amend the MGW on your registration, bring your current registration receipt, complete form MV-82, writing in the new MGW in the space provided, and submit the form at a DMV office. Keep in mind that you may not exceed the MGW during the registration period. Be sure to allow for your maximum load. There is a $2.00 fee to amend the MGW of your vehicle. If you amend to a higher MGW, you must also pay a pro-rated fee for the weight difference.

New York DMV Answers | Different truck weights on my title and registration
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:02 PM   #23

I saw a Ford superduty 3500 newer truck today with car plates.
It is actually an illegal registration, because of bumper heights.
Virginia police could issue a citation, and of course the truck owner cheated by having car plates put on it so he can save tax money and registration fees, I mean there is no other reason. It is not just say the guy wont ever tow anything with his truck, which then permits a guy to put car plates on 3500 series trucks.
No I did not measure his bumper, but he was sitting taller than my truck.

Its all in the inches of bumper heights as to where your truck must fit in the state police DMV registration schedule. Most deifinitely, if you lift your 3500 series truck past 30 inches you must legally have truck plates not car plates. Maybe some stock heavy duty series trucks are ok here to get car plates regarding bumper heights.

Virginia State Police - Safety Division
No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a truck if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, do not fall within the limits specified herein for its gross vehicle weight rating category.

The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,500 pounds or less shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 28 inches.

The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 4,501 pounds to 7,500 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 29 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches.

The front bumper height of trucks whose gross vehicle weight ratings are 7,501 pounds to 15,000 pounds shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 30 inches, and their rear bumper height shall be no less than 14 inches and no more than 31 inches.

Bumper height limitations contained in this section shall not apply to trucks with gross vehicle weight ratings in excess of 15,000 pounds. For the purpose of this section, "truck" includes pickup and panel trucks, and "gross vehicle weight ratings" means manufacturer's gross vehicle weight ratings established for that vehicle as indicated by a number, plate, sticker, decal, or other device affixed to the vehicle by its manufacturer.

In the absence of bumpers, and in cases where bumper heights have been lowered, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the frame rail. However, if bumper heights have been raised, height measurements under the foregoing provisions of this section shall be made to the bottom of the main horizontal bumper bar.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I saw a Ford superduty 3500 new truck today with car plates.
It is actually an illegal registration, because of bumper heights.
That reminds me of the California "housecar" registration for pickup trucks.
California DMV registers all pickup trucks as commercial vehicles with weight fees due.
But there is one exemption for paying those weight fees on a pickup. You place a cap/topper/camper shell/truck camper on a pickup and then register the pickup as a "housecar". This eliminates the requirement to pay weight fees and allows a pickup truck to display regular car license plates.
But don't ever get caught driving that "housecar" pickup with an open bed, in other words you can never legally remove the camper from the bed.
If you get caught, you will pay penalties and back weight fees.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:29 PM   #25

"• Gross Weight (GW) and Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR)—indicate the combined maximum load weight (vehicle,
passengers, cargo and towed trailer) that the vehicle is designed to tow.
• Register tractor-trailer units for the maximum gross weight to be carried by the combination tractor and trailer. Fees for the tractor
are figured on the combined weights of both units. The trailer must be registered separately"

Seems like they are talking about tractor trailers,,,not pickups!.

SSHHhhhhhhhh~~ my F350 pulling a 14.370# 5er was always registered at 10,000#.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
"• Gross Weight (GW) and Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR)—indicate the combined maximum load weight (vehicle,
passengers, cargo and towed trailer) that the vehicle is designed to tow.

• Register tractor-trailer units for the maximum gross weight to be carried by the combination tractor and trailer. Fees for the tractor
are figured on the combined weights of both units. The trailer must be registered separately"

Seems like they are talking about tractor trailers,,,not pickups!.

SSHHhhhhhhhh~~ my F350 pulling a 14.370# 5er was always registered at 10,000#.
Definitely a Tractor trailer combo on the last point there, but not on the first point. Virginia DMV sites are poorly written, it is confusing me a lot.

I emailed the DMV today and asked about changing my weight registration and have not heard back.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:45 PM   #27
Who Dares, Wins

I think all dmv sites and persons are the same.. No matter what state. What a pain this must be for you! Glad for the PA rules.. For once.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:07 PM   #28

I was pulled over by PA state police for driving in the
left lane where it said no truck,trailer,buses allowed.
Ok as he is writing my ticket he says I am overweight.
I said no that the Ram 3500 dulley was more than capable of the load of the 5ver. He told me the registration had to confirm it by adding GCWR. So I got the form and had inspection mechanic sign off
After I filled out the appropriate numbers, 30,000
GCWR and sent off to Harrisburg. About $300 extra
Per year for piece of mind about being caught overweight
Stormy
James Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:00 PM   #29
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Storm View Post
I was pulled over by PA state police for driving in the
left lane where it said no truck,trailer,buses allowed.
Ok as he is writing my ticket he says I am overweight.
I said no that the Ram 3500 dulley was more than capable of the load of the 5ver. He told me the registration had to confirm it by adding GCWR. So I got the form and had inspection mechanic sign off
After I filled out the appropriate numbers, 30,000
GCWR and sent off to Harrisburg. About $300 extra
Per year for piece of mind about being caught overweight
Stormy
Sorry OP for going off topic... BUT.. You registered your truck in combination? WHat where you pulling an RV 5er? If so the trooper is wrong, you do not need to be registered in combination if pulling an RV, they are exempted from the law (its even in the law). NOW, not knowing you weight be careful of the license class (non commercial A ) depending on your weights.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-18-2019, 08:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Sorry OP for going off topic... BUT.. You registered your truck in combination? WHat where you pulling and RV 5er? If so the trooper is wrong, you do not need to be registered in combination if pulling an RV, they are exempted from the law (its even in the law). NOW, not knowing you weight be careful of the license class (non commercial A ) depending on your weights.
I half wonder if VA is exempt for RV hauling, but so far I cant find that info anywhere. nothing mentioned about RV hauling versus trailer hauling.
I wonder if Camping World salesman has an opinion!
Old 06-19-2019, 05:53 AM   #31

Three things,

Camping world salesman have an opinion but a correct one??? For the most part they are lucky if they know what a camper is.

2. You already have your opinion of Virginia DMV but according to them camping trailers are not exempt from the regs.

3. My State Police contacts say they are not exempt as well they are the same as any other trailer.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 06-19-2019, 06:16 AM   #32

Off topic a little but for those following this thread in Virginia state inspections are going up to $20 July 1, and vehicle registrations might too.

For those that travel the I81 corridor the gas tax is going up along the route to support improvements to I81. A toll was voted out as a means for funding.

I81 has daily truck accidents and 5 mile backups are common. There already has been a truck accident backing up traffic this morning.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 06-19-2019, 06:58 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Sorry OP for going off topic... BUT.. You registered your truck in combination? WHat where you pulling an RV 5er? If so the trooper is wrong, you do not need to be registered in combination if pulling an RV, they are exempted from the law (its even in the law). NOW, not knowing you weight be careful of the license class (non commercial A ) depending on your weights.
Nowhere in my research or others could we find an exception for a fifth wheel camper/rv. I was warned and followed heed. Toy hauler with 19,000 gross.
Stormy
James Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #34

Well, I figured out VA DMV calls an RV trailer a 'travel trailer', still not heard back from my email inquire.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Well, I figured out VA DMV calls an RV trailer a 'travel trailer', still not heard back from my email inquire.
If you hear back I will be surprised. I have been dealing with Virginia DMV for 40 years.

Never heard a travel trailer called an RV trailer. RV trailer is a new term for me. NY term?

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 06-19-2019, 02:16 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
If you hear back I will be surprised. I have been dealing with Virginia DMV for 40 years.

Never heard a travel trailer called an RV trailer. RV trailer is a new term for me. NY term?
Just 'RV' covers too many kinds of things, search for RV on Virginia DMV type sites I got nothing, but VA has a legal definition of names of things. Like a 'camper trailer' must be a pop up sided thing. They are all just trailers to DMV, there are no exceptions for RV trailers.

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/...tion46.2-1500/
"Camping trailer" means a recreational vehicle constructed with collapsible partial side walls that fold for towing by a consumer-owned tow vehicle and unfold at the campsite to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use.

"Trailer" means every vehicle without motive power designed for carrying property or passengers wholly on its own structure and for being drawn by another motor vehicle, including semitrailers but not manufactured homes, watercraft trailers, camping trailers, or travel trailers.

"Travel trailer" means a vehicle designed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use of such size or weight so as not to require a special highway movement permit when towed by a consumer-owned tow vehicle.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:51 PM   #37

I guess now you have confused me? No there is no exemption for a TT .

Why should their be any exception for a travel trailer???? It is really not much different that my box trailer or my car hauler. Four wheels and weigh over 10,000 lbs loaded.

on the site you quoted

"Recreational vehicle" or "RV" means a vehicle that (i) is either self-propelled or towed by a consumer-owned tow vehicle, (ii) is primarily designed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use; and (iii) complies with all applicable federal vehicle regulations and does not require a special movement permit to legally use the highways. Recreational vehicle includes motor homes, travel trailers, and camping trailers.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Old 06-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I guess now you have confused me? No there is no exemption for a TT .

Why should their be any exception for a travel trailer???? It is really not much different that my box trailer or my car hauler. Four wheels and weigh over 10,000 lbs loaded.

on the site you quoted

"Recreational vehicle" or "RV" means a vehicle that (i) is either self-propelled or towed by a consumer-owned tow vehicle, (ii) is primarily designed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use; and (iii) complies with all applicable federal vehicle regulations and does not require a special movement permit to legally use the highways. Recreational vehicle includes motor homes, travel trailers, and camping trailers.

Its the only place I have seen them describe various trailer types, on the registration pages and VSP (police sites) they dont distinguish them, they are just trailers.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:01 PM   #39

I have 2013 F350, my EW is 7800, I don't remember the gvw but was a cab-chassis, so it would take in account the bed that was added. My GCVW is 24,599 which puts mine just under CDL. My tags are $256.00 a year. This covers me for most any trailer I would tow. Now I still have to have the axles the right or I could get an overweight ticket for an axle. Personal property tax is figured on the value of the vehicle not the weight. I live in Va and have other trailers also. There is no difference between cargo trailers and travel trailers in Va for registration purposes, same fees and taxes.
Ben
gentle_1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:01 PM   #40
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Storm View Post
Nowhere in my research or others could we find an exception for a fifth wheel camper/rv. I was warned and followed heed. Toy hauler with 19,000 gross.

Stormy
Look up pavc 75 4942c. Exemption is right in the regulation. Your paying way to much for your truck. I'm guessing your truck is 12k or so gvwr? So a class 5 and you've got a 7 due to the combo weight reg.

Now you would need a non commercial class a to legally drive your 19k toy hauler but that's another thing for another day.

PA size and weight is kind of what I do.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB

Tags
3500, 500, fuse, towing, weight