Old 06-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #11
Sham183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
LOL now that is a well put statement. Nothing to see here. As for the towing stuff I went to a certified scale for my vehicle loaded up with family and full tank of gas and some gear and did a lot of calculating and found out the TT we wanted would pretty much max out our GCVW. I would have about 100-200 lbs of a safety margin which to some may be ok but to me its just to close. Not to mention how hard is my vehicle going to have to work up hill and with a head wind. If I were you I would either go really light or just save your money until your car is paid off and buy a vehicle that can tow a unit you actually would want. Good luck.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopwr4me2003 View Post
LOL now that is a well put statement. Nothing to see here. As for the towing stuff I went to a certified scale for my vehicle loaded up with family and full tank of gas and some gear and did a lot of calculating and found out the TT we wanted would pretty much max out our GCVW. I would have about 100-200 lbs of a safety margin which to some may be ok but to me its just to close. Not to mention how hard is my vehicle going to have to work up hill and with a head wind. If I were you I would either go really light or just save your money until your car is paid off and buy a vehicle that can tow a unit you actually would want. Good luck.
Thank you all for your input! You've convinced me to hold tight. We'll get this Mazda paid off - give it to our daughter and he can pick out a pretty new pickup truck. But I get to pick the camper.

Gah...I hate waiting! Hoping we can find one to rent/borrow a few times this summer. Itching to get out into the wilderness again!!!

Old 06-15-2016, 12:44 AM   #13

You'll be much happier in the long run. Waiting kind of sucks though, lol. The new one I just picked up was supposed to happen last year. Didn't quite work out. I kept catching myself trying to justify it and just buy it. Worked out for the better, I'll probably enjoy it more now anyway.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
You'll be much happier in the long run. Waiting kind of sucks though, lol. The new one I just picked up was supposed to happen last year. Didn't quite work out. I kept catching myself trying to justify it and just buy it. Worked out for the better, I'll probably enjoy it more now anyway.
I absolutely understand!!! We have a lot of irons in the fire right now bi thought this would be a great distraction for us on weekends. Oh well, I'll just start squirreling away money and pay cash for a nice one next year. Really love the idea of the hard side pop up. I'm surprised there is no sub forum for those here. Or are they so new no one has one here?
Old 06-15-2016, 08:23 AM   #15

Hand it off to your daughter now. It will be a learning experience on car payments, insurance and budgeting. You'll instantly get nominated for "Mom Of The Year," and you can then get a new TV and camper. 😏

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 06-15-2016, 02:26 PM   #16
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
Really love the idea of the hard side pop up. I'm surprised there is no sub forum for those here. Or are they so new no one has one here?
There is, it's the A-frame sub-forum.
It's in the section with tent campers and truck campers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
Thank you all for your input! You've convinced me to hold tight. We'll get this Mazda paid off - give it to our daughter and he can pick out a pretty new pickup truck. But I get to pick the camper.

Gah...I hate waiting! Hoping we can find one to rent/borrow a few times this summer. Itching to get out into the wilderness again!!!
Being an owner of an A122, most of us end weighing about 2,700+lbs when loaded for a camping trip (the front platform or storage area adds more weight). A vehicle rated to tow 3,500 lbs is the minimum to be comfortable with. Typically, you need a 3.3L V6 or better with a solid transmission (turbo-charging may allow a smaller displacement engine).

The mainstream minivans (Chrysler with the big engine, Toyota, Honda, Kia) are all available with the 3,500lb tow rating.

Most of the mid-size SUVs - Ford Explorer, Hyundai Santa Fe, Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Jeep Grand Cherokee - also usually have enough to tow an A122. Some of these can tow considerably more.

The smaller SUVs - CRV, RAV, Escape, etc, do not have what you need.

We do love our A122. The very quick, single-handed setup, the compact size that fits in the garage, and the comforts make long weekend and even overnight camping trips a lot of fun.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
next trip Rocky Mountain National Park
Old 06-15-2016, 10:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
There is, it's the A-frame sub-forum.
It's in the section with tent campers and truck campers.
What!?!?! Thank you! I looked all over but apparently missed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Being an owner of an A122, most of us end weighing about 2,700+lbs when loaded for a camping trip (the front platform or storage area adds more weight). A vehicle rated to tow 3,500 lbs is the minimum to be comfortable with. Typically, you need a 3.3L V6 or better with a solid transmission (turbo-charging may allow a smaller displacement engine).

The mainstream minivans (Chrysler with the big engine, Toyota, Honda, Kia) are all available with the 3,500lb tow rating.

Most of the mid-size SUVs - Ford Explorer, Hyundai Santa Fe, Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Jeep Grand Cherokee - also usually have enough to tow an A122. Some of these can tow considerably more.

The smaller SUVs - CRV, RAV, Escape, etc, do not have what you need.

We do love our A122. The very quick, single-handed setup, the compact size that fits in the garage, and the comforts make long weekend and even overnight camping trips a lot of fun.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
next trip Rocky Mountain National Park
Thank you for the info!!! Very helpful!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
Hand it off to your daughter now. It will be a learning experience on car payments, insurance and budgeting. You'll instantly get nominated for "Mom Of The Year," and you can then get a new TV and camper. 😏

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
If we could trust her to actually hold the job, get the degree and pay the bills, we'd do that. lol She'll graduate in December 2017 - hopefully she'll have a good job when she graduates. The Mazda will make an excellent graduation gift for her. <3

Ya'll are so nice here - thanks for the guidance!!
Old 07-01-2016, 10:56 PM   #19

Update!

We just brought home a 2016 Flagstaff! I haven't been able to get it off my mind. Decided we could rent a UHaul pick up truck for less than $150 for a weekend that hauls up to 6000 lbs. Eff it. Life is short. Rented the truck, drove to Indy, just got it set up in the drive and fiddled with dials and such. Gonna get a good night sleep and get it cleaned up and moved in to tomorrow!

Plan for tow vehicle forthcoming. Husband does not want to mess with rental. Dealer sent us home with an Escape but we thought it was an Edge. He left the keys for us and went home. When we picked it up, wasn't the car we were asking for so we'll fiddle with the Escape this weekend and go back next week for the Edge. Love my little Ford Focus but it might be wise to go ahead and trade that on a tow vehicle now. Really really glad I found this forum. Going to talk hubs into joining too. I'm sure he'll have more technical questions for you guys!
Old 07-02-2016, 12:15 AM   #20
Moderators' Assistant

It would help if you posted which model of Flagstaff that you bought.
It's not listed in your profile.
That way we can get the specs to advise you.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, weight