Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #1

Confused Canuck needs advice: 1991 Suzuki Sidekick 4WD MT - Flat Towable *easily*?

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1991 Sidekick in excellent condition (165K km. = 100K mi.) to tow behind our Forester. However, being a bit of a mechanical doofus , I really don't want (and can't use) a vehicle that takes a lot of fussing to tow it.....as far as I can tell, this one does not, BUT, I'd like to be certain before purchasing.

It has 4WD manual transmission and what I believe would be manual hubs (on the wheels - you have to get out and set 'em). Can anyone provide a definitive answer - experience is just fine - that I can just hitch the car up and flat tow four wheels down?

Thanks for the assist!

Cheers from beautiful BC!
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #2

My parents used to flat tow a '97 sidekick 4WD manual hubs/manual trans (they still have it, recently upgraded to a CRV with an automatic) If I remember correctly it was place the tranfer case into neutral and leave the trans in 2nd gear.
Nights camped in 2015 - 20
Ditchooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #3

Location: Northern Wisconsin during summer, Snow Bird in Gulf Shores, AL
Flat tow

We flat towed a 91 Geo Tracker soft top (same vehicle as Suzuki Sidekick) without incident behind our old 93 Pace Arrow DP. Hubs set to "Free", transfer case "neutral" and transmission in "3rd gear". Worked great, light weight easy pull and easy to hook up. Remember to set ignition key to run position, you do not want the steering wheel locked it must be free to track properly. Also you cannot back up with the car in tow the front wheels will go to full left or right lock if you do. Last thing remember to release emergency brake, been there done that. I also would switch on my rear vision camera for the first mile or so just to check how the the flat tow was tracking.

Have fun and enjoy.

Dave
emtdave is offline   Reply With Quote