Old 09-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #21

Fortunately, I didn't hold up any truckers. As an ole military guy, I understand common courtesy. Moved off then back on the scales each time...

Thanks for the clarification mtnguy. 'Push' is a more appropriate description of my experience(s).

'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

The 1st time I weighed on the scales, the scale operator told me to leave the truck on the scales, and come on in and get my ticket. Hadn't walked 50 feet when I heard an airhorn......whoops. I got my rig off of the scales real fast. I was doing as I was told by the operator.....I guess he wasn't figuring on anyone else needed weights so soon.

I used to use the local quarry single platform scales, which are about 2 miles from me. The ladie would let me go across free if they weren't busy......I would wait to where there were no trucks in line. There was electronic readout at the end of the scales. I would weigh the TV front axle, both axles, the total combo, and then the trailer axles, and just record the readings from the seat of my truck. Then go do the same thing with the spring bars unhooked. Then take my camper home, and come back and do just the truck. Now I travel about 25 miles each way, and pay $11.50 for my 3 weights, but I feel like I am not hassling the quarry operators....although they never seemed to mind.

The reason for the muliple trips to the quarry a couple of years ago was to get my WDH setup properly, and also get some actual weights on my truck and trailer. The reason for mulitple trips to the CAT scales recently is that I am setting up a new hitch head.....I think I got that puppy dialed in sweet now.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #23

Most truck drivers, (I am one) will appreciate seeing a camper on the scale, it shows he-she cares about the weights!
As to worrying about slamming on the brakes on the scale, they are way tougher that that, it won't mess them up.
I am not a fan of Pilot either, they should train the folks how to get the weight on the rig. I feel like Loves would!
Jack

2007 Chevy 2500HD 'Classic' with the Duramax engine.

Converting a 1956 GMC PD4501 Scenicruiser, ex Greyhound into a motor home.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
I took the new truck & trailer back for a hitch adjustment today, then to the nearest CAT Scale at a Pilot Truck Stop about 35 miles from the house. Loaded the trailer pretty much as we would for a trip. The truck was unloaded; 2/3 tank of fuel; just me in the driver's seat.

The gal at the scale seemed confused and I actually pulled the rig on and off the scales a total of six times as I stated I didn't think the numbers are accurate.

Anyway; here's the printout:

Steer Axle: 6260 lb
Drive Axle: 5380 lb.
Trailer Axle: 00 lb.
Gross Weight: 11640 lbs.

I kept telling her I thought there should be a trailer weight printed out, but she said this is how all the RV rigs are weighed?

Picture of the rig as weighed:

So confused; Advice much appreciated...

We did the same as you, today as well. Hooked up the Pop Up ( loaded for camping ), loaded up the pooches, as they always go camping, ourselves, and away we went to the CAT Scale. About 45 minutes from our home. Seems they are never close by....UGH!

Anyways, being we have a PopUP we only utilized the 2 front scales ( Steer Axle for TV and Drive Axle for Pop Up ), as there was no other way to remotely utilize and weigh using all 3 scales, joined together, at least from how the scales were set up and spaced.
After we weighed and received our weigh ticket, and after comparing the TV specs and the Pop Up Yellow sticker, our figures we pretty right on even though we were just interested in getting the GCVW, the Pup weight and TV weight. We already knew what our Tongue weight was, as we had weighed it a couple weeks back.

You may have weighed your TT in the same manner we had. Although, you have more length than we have and could have possibly utilized all 3 scales. JMO.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #25

I always rec'd 3 weights on CAT scales. In addition, DOT weigh stations are FREE.
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomTracker View Post
I always rec'd 3 weights on CAT scales. In addition, DOT weigh stations are FREE.

I am obviously missing something here. I did my first weigh today as well, but how do you get 3 weights if you are only utilizing 2 scales? Especially with pulling a Pop Up since it isn't long enough to utilize all 3 at the same time.
I am new to the scales, and maybe I need to re-weigh if I didn't do it right the first time, although my TV weights and Yellow Sticker weights were pretty much right on the mark.
Any suggestions helpful.
And the Truck Stop I did go to was Flying J / Pilot, if this makes a difference, as I see others have had not such a good experience with them.

Thanks

Old 09-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #27

There should be 3 separate platforms designated with yellow lines. Each axle has to be on a separate platform to read weight for each. Note, the TT axles are read as one regardless of how many you have (i.e. 1 or 2) and should be on a single platform.
  1. TV front axle
  2. TV rear axle
  3. TT all axles
If you unsure if you are lined up correctly, you may have to physically step out of you TV and look... make adjustments if necessary. The customer service person recording the weight should be able to confirm you are OK when recording wt. A total combined weight is also given.

* Remember that the TT wieght will actually be >10% less than actual b/c of weight transfer to hitch.

Good luck...
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
I am obviously missing something here. I did my first weigh today as well, but how do you get 3 weights if you are only utilizing 2 scales? Especially with pulling a Pop Up since it isn't long enough to utilize all 3 at the same time.

Thanks
Briorick, since your combo is not long enough to utilize 3 platforms, you can do this:

Put both of your tow vehicle axles on 1 platform, and the trailer on the adjacent platform.

That will give you the total weight of your TrialBlazer, to see how close you are to the GVWR. It will also give you the weight on the trailer axle, and that load limit should be stated on your yellow sticker.

If you go back across the scales a 2nd time with the pop-up unhitched, but everybody and everything in the same positions, then that will give you some more information. You can subtract the solo Blazer weights from the Blazer weight with the pop-up attached....that will give you the tongue weight of the pop-up. That, along with the axle weight of the pop-up, is your total trailer weight. You can then check that against the GVWR of the trailer.

If the pop-up tongue weight is over 400 or 500 lbs. (I can't imagine that, but you never know), then you might be needing to checking both axle weights on the TrialBlazer. That can be done by pulling just the front axle of the TrailBlazer unto the 1st platform with the trailer attached, and getting a weight of just that. Next, use the 1st weights you got (2 TV axles on 1 platform, trailer axle on the next). and subtract the front axle only weight from the total TrailBlazer weight. That will give you the weight of your rear axle. Compare that to the RAWR on the driver's door to make sure you are not exceeding that figure.

With reweighs just a $1 (at least here) after the initial weigh-in, it doesn't get too expensive doing the multiple weights.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomTracker View Post
There should be 3 separate platforms designated with yellow lines. Each axle has to be on a separate platform to read weight for each. Note, the TT axles are read as one regardless of how many you have (i.e. 1 or 2) and should be on a single platform.
  1. TV front axle
  2. TV rear axle
  3. TT all axles
If you unsure if you are lined up correctly, you may have to physically step out of you TV and look... make adjustments if necessary. The customer service person recording the weight should be able to confirm you are OK when recording wt. A total combined weight is also given.

* Remember that the TT wieght will actually be >10% less than actual b/c of weight transfer to hitch.

Good luck...

Thanks FreedomTracker, just as you suggested, when I arrived at the scale I did pull onto it ( #1 and #2 scale platforms ) and got out to assess how I was going to weigh utilizing only 2 scales with having a short combo. I knew I was going to just get a GCVW by doing it this way, but I had already done my tongue weight 2 weeks prior, so figured this was the best way. I should have unhooked the Pup and got a TV only weight, but having calculated my tongue weight ( -240 lbs. ) I felt pretty confident calculating the difference.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Briorick, since your combo is not long enough to utilize 3 platforms, you can do this:

Put both of your tow vehicle axles on 1 platform, and the trailer on the adjacent platform.

That will give you the total weight of your TrialBlazer, to see how close you are to the GVWR. It will also give you the weight on the trailer axle, and that load limit should be stated on your yellow sticker.

If you go back across the scales a 2nd time with the pop-up unhitched, but everybody and everything in the same positions, then that will give you some more information. You can subtract the solo Blazer weights from the Blazer weight with the pop-up attached....that will give you the tongue weight of the pop-up. That, along with the axle weight of the pop-up, is your total trailer weight. You can then check that against the GVWR of the trailer.

With reweighs just a $1 (at least here) after the initial weigh-in, it doesn't get too expensive doing the multiple weights.

Thanks mtnguy, I feel confident knowing I weighed just as you stated, less the 2nd pass through for TV only. Makes me feel good knowing this. I didn't know about the re-weigh, else I would have unhitched and made a 2nd pass with my Trailblazer. As I stated, I already knew of my tongue weight so all I needed to do was subtract that figure from my TV weight on the weigh ticket.
Thanks for the heads up, next time I will definitely make a point of it to make multiple passes.

You have been most helpful, thank you for your time.

*My apologies, Scratch, for hijacking your post. Was not my intention. Hopefully this has helped with your TT "scale" questions and calculations as well.