Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #1

Confused Newbie on CAT Scale Weights

I took the new truck & trailer back for a hitch adjustment today, then to the nearest CAT Scale at a Pilot Truck Stop about 35 miles from the house. Loaded the trailer pretty much as we would for a trip. The truck was unloaded; 2/3 tank of fuel; just me in the driver's seat.

The gal at the scale seemed confused and I actually pulled the rig on and off the scales a total of six times as I stated I didn't think the numbers are accurate.

Anyway; here's the printout:

Steer Axle: 6260 lb
Drive Axle: 5380 lb.
Trailer Axle: 00 lb.
Gross Weight: 11640 lbs.

I kept telling her I thought there should be a trailer weight printed out, but she said this is how all the RV rigs are weighed?

Picture of the rig as weighed:

So confused; Advice much appreciated...
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
William

Either you weren't positioned correctly on the scale or there was an error with the CAT scale.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #3

well..if anything, you got a WHOLE LOT of cargo capacity in the trailer!! LOL...

but seriously, there should have been 3 weights...
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #4

I can understand 5380 as the truck weight; 6260 would be close to the trailer weight (5280 dry); and 11640 is probably close as the gross weight, but otherwise??????

Thanks; think I had a rookie weighing a rookie!
'14 nights camped:
Old 09-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Site Team

I was going to post a link on how to position the trailer on the scales but my regular computer is being serviced. If I come across the link I will be happy to post it for you.

The only time I attempted to weigh my truck I ended up with negative weight so my help will be useless. Quickly found out that the staff isn't permitted to offer directions.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I was going to post a link on how to position the trailer on the scales but my regular computer is being serviced. If I come across the link I will be happy to post it for you.

The only time I attempted to weigh my truck I ended up with negative weight so my help will be useless. Quickly found out that the staff isn't permitted to offer directions.
Thanks. I'll try to Google search 'How to position truck and travel trailer on CAT scale' and see what I come up with.
'14 nights camped:
Old 09-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
Site Team

Try this link:
How To Weigh | CAT Scale

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #8
phat phrog stunt crew

cat scales have 3 seperate platforms for weighing. when you pull onto scales, put steer tires to furthest forward scale, drives on next scale and trailer on last (3rd) platform. try not to hit the brakes hard when you stop as this could throw scales out of whack for everybody after you. you should have 3 seperate weights and a total weight when all is said and done.

be aware that you are entitled to 1 reweigh, costs a buck i think. so, that gives you opportunity to get an empty weight and a loaded weight. stipulation to that being it has to be done on the same day.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #9

Just one more example of how useless the Pilot truck stops are.
I avoid them at all costs.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
cat scales have 3 seperate platforms for weighing. when you pull onto scales, put steer tires to furthest forward scale, drives on next scale and trailer on last (3rd) platform. try not to hit the brakes hard when you stop as this could throw scales out of whack for everybody after you. you should have 3 seperate weights and a total weight when all is said and done.

be aware that you are entitled to 1 reweigh, costs a buck i think. so, that gives you opportunity to get an empty weight and a loaded weight. stipulation to that being it has to be done on the same day.
Wow. This explains a bunch! I did not have the rig positioned as you mentioned, but it now makes perfect sense. I noted there were several platforms and I mentioned that to the girl, but she kept saying 'This is how we do it" as she pulled me forward to weigh on only the forward two scale platforms. Live and learn... Still think the 11,640 is accurate as gross weight, though???

Just found this helpfull tool: http://www.trucktires.com/bridgeston.../WeighForm.pdf
'14 nights camped:
Old 09-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think that the total weight of 11640# is right either unless the camper is empty. The truck with the trailer's tongue weight will be close to 7000# and I'll bet the trailer axles would be around 5800# (guessing 6600# camper loaded less 800# tongue) for a total around 12800#.

You'll definitely need to do the whole thing again properly positioned on the segments.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #12
phat phrog stunt crew

next time you go weigh, park on the scales like a big truck would. inform the person on the other end of the speaker this is how you wish to weigh. your steer axle weight is way to high in my opinion, and who wouldnt want to have all the comfort of home that weighs nothing?

like dave monica says you will probably be closer to 12800 or so. speaking of which, i need to get mine weighed next time out.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #13
Trailer Trash

The CAT scales are designed for semi-trailer rigs. Stay away from big truck stop places like Pilot, TA, Flying J, etc. The girls inside running them are clueless when it comes to how to weigh an RV.

Go to the smaller fuel stations that have a CAT scale. Chances are you wont have a impatient semi driver behind you. You can go in and tell the scale operator what you want to do first, BEFORE you get on the scale.

Find the scales at
CAT Scale Locator | CAT Scale

How to weigh your RV - scroll down to the bottom
How To Weigh | CAT Scale
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I think we should be done speculating on the weights when we know that it was a botched attempt. There's no way possible to know if any of the weights are remotely correct.
're weight the unit and lets start again.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
I took the new truck & trailer back for a hitch adjustment today, then to the nearest CAT Scale at a Pilot Truck Stop about 35 miles from the house. Loaded the trailer pretty much as we would for a trip. The truck was unloaded; 2/3 tank of fuel; just me in the driver's seat.

The gal at the scale seemed confused and I actually pulled the rig on and off the scales a total of six times as I stated I didn't think the numbers are accurate.

Anyway; here's the printout:

Steer Axle: 6260 lb
Drive Axle: 5380 lb.
Trailer Axle: 00 lb.
Gross Weight: 11640 lbs.

I kept telling her I thought there should be a trailer weight printed out, but she said this is how all the RV rigs are weighed?

Picture of the rig as weighed:

Advice much appreciated...

Scratch, kudos for you "trying" to get your truck and trailer weighed.

Looking at your figures, I have no idea how she weighed your combo.

The 1st platform is the "steer" axle weight. Since your truck is unloaded with but with you it, it is possible that the total weight of the truck is 6260....that would have put both truck axles on the 1st platform. Is your truck a 2 wheel drive ?? My "listed" empty weight of my truck is around 5300 lbs.(but not so after a few add-ons), so a 2 wheel drive might be 5200 lbs....hang 700 lbs. of tongue weight on the bumper and a driver, and that could be close.

The middle platform is the "drive" axle. If your trailer tires are on that, then it is possible that trailer axle weights.

The total weight seems to be in line....that is about the weight of my combo ready to roll.

Next time, make sure each axle is on a separate platform, and both wheels totally on that platform If you happen to get the same scale operator, and she gives you some hassle, say you would like to weigh it as it sits. Go in pay, and review the ticket, if it looks right, great. If it doesn't speak to her supervisor and ask that he do the weights.

2 follow up weights (for about $1 ea for reweighs) will give you all sorts of great information. A trip across the scales with spring bars not connected but in the rear of the truck will show you how much weight is being put on the rear TV axle and taken off of the front.

A trip across the scales with out the trailer will let you calculate the true tongue weight. ( Both truck axle scale weight with trailer with spring bars off, minus both truck axles with no trailer). You can usually just drop the trailer in the truck yard....but don't forget to go back and get that.

BTW, your truck looks a little low in the back. After getting all of your weights, compare the solo truck front and rear axle weights with the readings of your trailer with the spring bars attached. You may not have enough weight put back on your front axle.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #16
phat phrog stunt crew

as far as the impatient semi driver behind you goes, common courtesy goes a long way. when you have finished weighing, pull forward off the scale if nobody is behind you, park there, retreive ticket and be done.

if folks are behind you, find a spot to park in, then go get your weight ticket. they wont lose your ticket. as far as the bigger v smaller truck stops and cat scales, just go to the most convenient one and take care of what you need. most of those guys/gals would rather be doing what your doing anyway.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #17

Sure appreciate you folks. You've armed me with lots of knowledge and I feel much more prepared for the next trip to the CAT scales.

Sure appreciate the CAT locator, too. Found one I didn't know existed on the way to the dealer, so I'll run it up there sometime within the next few weeks; properly weigh it, then take the info to the dealer to get them to tweek the hitch a second time.

It seems to pull relatively OK. I tried the Interstate for the first time; stayed in the right lane doing 60 to 65 mostly. The big rigs passing by gave me some mild sway, but this, I take, is normal?
'14 nights camped:
Old 09-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
The big rigs passing by gave me some mild sway, but this, I take, is normal?
Sway no. A "push" yes.

I normally consider sway an uncontrolled, somewhat continuous movement side to side. The bow wave of a semi will "push" the back end of your camper away from the semi, resulting in the TV being "pulled" towards that lane. A well setup WDH will eliminate much of that, but probably not all of it.

Sometimes you can even see that when 1 big rig passes another. Keeping a little distance from the rig by staying to the outside or your lane helps.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
The CAT scales are designed for semi-trailer rigs. Stay away from big truck stop places like Pilot, TA, Flying J, etc. The girls inside running them are clueless when it comes to how to weigh an RV.

Go to the smaller fuel stations that have a CAT scale. Chances are you wont have a impatient semi driver behind you. You can go in and tell the scale operator what you want to do first, BEFORE you get on the scale.

Find the scales at
CAT Scale Locator | CAT Scale

How to weigh your RV - scroll down to the bottom
How To Weigh | CAT Scale

As for impatient truck driver, you probably don't realize that the driver has 14 hours a day to work (including loading, unloading, and driving, also the 14 hour clock doesn't stop while he is waiting for loading, unloading, scaling or a break). If he sat at the receiver and shipper for a long time it takes away from his 11 hours of drive time(where he makes his money). So if he goes to scale his load and there is someone taking a lot of time in front of him there is more time he looses, also he has to log the exact time he scales by law. If you get on the scale weigh (takes less then 2 mins to weigh you) pull off and park (not in front of the scale) then everyone is happy.
Packer Backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #20
phat phrog stunt crew

as a former otr, i can relate to the "legal" log book. but since they have revised the hours of service, i probably wouldnt be able to fudge it again (at least not right away). i never saw a 10 hr day, more likely a 15 to 16 hr day.