Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2019, 07:21 AM   #41

When used for towing...what good is the HP if you're not gaining any torque behind it. Think Diesels.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:49 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Well the forum elite have spoken . Don't waste your money doing anything just buy a diesel and all is good ,No matter what else you do it's a waste according to the supreme elite never can be wrong forum members who's opinions are the only ones that count
You need to quit.....

That's funny right there
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:10 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete00 View Post
Howdy
Been thinking of converting my pickup

2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
single exhaust to dual exhaust.

Has anyone recently done it and did you notice any increase in MPG or performance.
thanks......pete
Most often when you go from the factory single exhaust to dual exhaust you loose bottom end torque. The factory sets up a truck to tow and haul, not drag race so you may get a little more performance near the top end but loose at the bottom which is more important when towing a trailer.
kraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:14 AM   #44

I have an 07 with a 6.0 and converted to a dual exhaust in 09. No one makes a true dual exhaust for the 6.0 because of the drone humm. My buddy at an exhaust shop hooked me up with a true dual exhaust by cutting at the y-pipe after the dual cats and going back with 3 inch to the 2 flow master 40 series mufflers and 2.5 out after mufflers. Sounds great, but torque seems to have dropped off and has caused the truck to “run rich” in fuel mixture and plugged up the cats at least once. Also had to clean out carbon build up around the air intake twice because of buildup around throttle plate because computer is trying to compensate for more exhaust flow. I’ve got 188,000 in truck and considering going back to single GM high performance exhaust. Got used to the drone noise, but it’s not as nice as a 1969 big block Elcamino with headers and dual exhaust with original flow master 40’s. Just my 2 cents.
tonyreinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #45
Retired Panpsychist

I "sized" our truck's specs to pull our trailer (and a little larger one) from the get go. If I'm going to put money into the rig, it's going for tire monitors, an observation camera and a lithium battery bank. First two are done; LiFePos after I pass "GO" a few more times.

If I go to a significantly larger TT, the truck gets replaced and not modded.

To each, his/her own.

2007 GoldenDoodle ("Cooper") R.I.P.
2020 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2015 F-150 4WD XLT SCab, 5.0L, 3.73, 36gal, HD Towing Pkg (53A), 1,980lb Payload
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #46
Voyager

Before we got into RV’ing, I had significantly modified my previous truck, to include exhaust. The “Internet” said the Magnaflow SS cat back was the coolest. Uh…no…

Towed a small trailer from VA to CO. Horrible drone. What I learned was -- Around town, a little sound is cool. Pulling a load for distance, silence is golden.
'23 Rockwood 2205S
Bob.n.Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:36 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete00 View Post
Howdy
Been thinking of converting my pickup

2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
single exhaust to dual exhaust.

Has anyone recently done it and did you notice any increase in MPG or performance.
thanks......pete
I went through some of the responses and do agree with many of them but the one thing I did not see that has the biggest impact on HP and mileage is improper maintenance of the fuel system. GM now uses direct injection on their engines meaning the fuel goes directly into the cylinder. It never sees the intake manifold, runners or the intake valves however due to the recycling of the crankcase and exhaust gases dirt and other deposits build up impacting both a lot more than you would think. The first time I became aware of this was when the dealer recommended getting it done at a cost of @ $130.00 which I let them do and started doing my research on the subject to fine out you can easily do the work your self at a much lower cost. The process I chose and like best is Sea Foam's 3 step system. Every 20,000 to 30,000 miles just prior to changing your oil you put one ounce of their product per quart of oil in your crankcase along with one ounce of product in your gas tank for every gallon of gas. You then insert the hose of their aerosol product into the intake system right after the air intake box. Drive the vehicle for about 100 miles and then change or have someone else change the oil. I did this to my 2017 Silverado 5.3 right before our last trip to Orlando Florida from Cleveland Ohio just taking luggage, bicycles, folding chairs and some other items but averaged 21.4 MPG round trip after the week of mixed driving around Florida visiting family and back home again. Prior to the trip I was averaging @ 19 MPG mixed driving at home. Pulling a 7,000 lb. trailer I get 8.9 to 10.5 MPG. Cost of the Sea Foam products needed is under $30.00. Try it for yourself.
harleyfltri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:13 AM   #48

That will be true when the 6.6L gasser comes out in the GM 2020 HD pickups, but as of now, the 6.0L is still port injection. So your assertion about all GM gasser being GDI is incorrect.

That being said, i have become more fond of CRC Intake Valve cleaner for my wife's 2017 Equinox which is GDI and can have the problems you mention. Polyetheramine (PEA) is the primary component in the CRC stuff and is recognized as one of the best intake, combustion chamber, and fuel system cleaners available.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:19 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cow View Post
That will be true when the 6.6L gasser comes out in the GM 2020 HD pickups, but as of now, the 6.0L is still port injection. So your assertion about all GM gasser being GDI is incorrect.

That being said, i have become more fond of CRC Intake Valve cleaner for my wife's 2017 Equinox which is GDI and can have the problems you mention. Polyetheramine (PEA) is the primary component in the CRC stuff and is recognized as one of the best intake, combustion chamber, and fuel system cleaners available.
I stated that now GM is using direct injection. The 6.0 is no longer being used and was replaced with the 6.2 in their Silverados. Both the 5.3 and the 6.2 are direct injected. Yes, CRC makes excellent products also but my point was that properly maintained fuel systems give you the most bang for the buck regardless of what you use to properly do the job. Also keep in mind by treating the crankcase you eliminate the buildup in that, by treating the fuel you are cleaning the injectors and by treating the intake you are eliminating the buildup there. It's not just the valves that get the buildup on them.
harleyfltri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:57 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyfltri View Post
I stated that now GM is using direct injection. The 6.0 is no longer being used and was replaced with the 6.2 in their Silverados. Both the 5.3 and the 6.2 are direct injected. Yes, CRC makes excellent products also but my point was that properly maintained fuel systems give you the most bang for the buck regardless of what you use to properly do the job. Also keep in mind by treating the crankcase you eliminate the buildup in that, by treating the fuel you are cleaning the injectors and by treating the intake you are eliminating the buildup there. It's not just the valves that get the buildup on them.
Yes for the 1/2 tons, but the HD pickups retained the 6.0 L96 Vortec thru 2019 model year. The 1/2 tons did have a 6.0 at one time but it was never the L96 . The HD pickups will only go to GDI with the new 6.6L gasser in the 2020 model year. And the topic was started about the HD pickups with the gasser, not the 1/2 tons.

I keep the injectors and combustion chamber and overall fuel system quite clean and very low deposits by using E85 fuel exclusively. Especially in the wife's GDI Equinox. Something that the 6.0 L96 allows me to do also in my 2015 2500HD. Best I can tell, the 6.6L GDI will lose the flex fuel capability. That is why I have no real desire to even look at one. But I do use the CRC stuff on the wife's Equinox regularly since it is GDI. On the 2500, I have a air/oil separator unit on the PCV line to capture any oil and junk heading to the intake and separate it out, keeping the intake and valves much cleaner. The design on the Equinox 2.4L doesn't allow for doing that.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #51

Don't use seafoam EVER in an engine with oxygen sensors. It is almost 50% oil.

Newer engines like most Toyotas an a few others like the 3.5 Ford Ecoboost use direct injection and port injection. The port injection helps keep the backside of the intake valves clean.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote