Old 07-31-2019, 01:56 PM   #1

Converting pickup to dual exhaust

Howdy
Been thinking of converting my pickup

2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
single exhaust to dual exhaust.

Has anyone recently done it and did you notice any increase in MPG or performance.
thanks......pete

2018 Rockwood Sig Ultra Llite 8324BS
pete00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete00 View Post
Howdy
Been thinking of converting my pickup

single exhaust to dual exhaust.

Has anyone recently done it and did you notice any increase in MPG or performance.
thanks......pete
the 6.0 gas chevy should have duel out until the muffler where it is duel in and single out . new performance headers help with low and mid range torque . . you could replace the muffler with a duel in and out but doubt that alone will help much . Now i am basing this off my 2003 2500 hd 6.0

MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:34 PM   #3
Broken Toe

Exhaust is only a piece of the "better perfomance" puzzle. Without being able to get more air in, it does no good to try to let more air out. This scenario has happened countless times. Joe puts on an exhaust and gets negligable increase. Adds a chip, gets a likewise modest increase, the adds a cold-air intake with high-flow filter and now hit truck is a rocket ship. Obviously, the exhaust and chip were wasted money, and the real gain was in the intake.

He tells Jim about his findings, and Jim decides to cut to the chase on his truck and added the cold-air intake. He got slight gains. then he added a better exhaust for not much improvement, but when he added a chip, it was like adding another bank of cylinders.

You can piece it together a part at a time, but till you complete the whole package, don't expect miracles.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
the 6.0 gas chevy should have duel out until the muffler where it is duel in and single out . new performance headers help with low and mid range torque . . you could replace the muffler with a duel in and out but doubt that alone will help much . Now i am basing this off my 2003 2500 hd 6.0

thanks for the quick reply,
fyi. i have a y from manafold, muffler single in and out.

I noticed the size of the truck exhaust pipes, muffler etc is a little bigger than my 57 chevy i had in my earlier years.......lol

Old 07-31-2019, 02:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Exhaust is only a piece of the "better perfomance" puzzle. Without being able to get more air in, it does no good to try to let more air out. This scenario has happened countless times. Joe puts on an exhaust and gets negligable increase. Adds a chip, gets a likewise modest increase, the adds a cold-air intake with high-flow filter and now hit truck is a rocket ship. Obviously, the exhaust and chip were wasted money, and the real gain was in the intake.

He tells Jim about his findings, and Jim decides to cut to the chase on his truck and added the cold-air intake. He got slight gains. then he added a better exhaust for not much improvement, but when he added a chip, it was like adding another bank of cylinders.

You can piece it together a part at a time, but till you complete the whole package, don't expect miracles.

Tim
Well said. I would have a hard time messing with a late model truck at this time. They work so well from the factory already. Go take a look under thr hood of any late model truck ant it will already have a cold air intake. Even back to my 1996 Suburban with the factory hi flow package.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
Well said. I would have a hard time messing with a late model truck at this time. They work so well from the factory already. Go take a look under thr hood of any late model truck ant it will already have a cold air intake. Even back to my 1996 Suburban with the factory hi flow package.

Amen! They also last longer if they're just left alone.

For most trucks being sold over the last decade or so, the only thing one gets from adding dual exhausts is more noise.

Feel like you don't have enough power then one of the following is true:

Your trailer is too large;

Your truck is too small;

You are trying to carry too much stuff.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:03 PM   #7

I have a 2013 hd. I was thinking of a performance upgrade. For any noticeable gains it would have cost nearly $10,000.00 to do it right, not worth it.
Nascon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:07 PM   #8

I'm going to argue just a little bit with what Cowracer said, and then also agree with him in some areas as well.
I'm speaking from my experience on my truck, and on my dad's truck. Mine is a 2015 Silverado, 1500, with the 5.3L and 3:42 gears. My dads, is a 2016 Silverado, 1500, with the 5.3L and 3:42 gears.

I replaced my single factory exhaust right after purchase (30,000 miles). I did this not to gain any HP or fuel mileage increase, but because I wanted my truck to sound like a truck. I noticed no HP gain, no seat of the pants gain, and in fact, probably a tad worse MPG, but that was probably due to me not keeping my foot out of it. Second thing I did was put in a Airaid MIT intake. The intake boxes themselves in our modern trucks are pretty much "cold air" anyway, and the only choke point is the filter, and the stupid corrugated tubing going from the air box to the throttle body. The Airaid MIT is one of many products that replaces that piece. After that replacement, I noticed minimal, if any gains in any seat of the pants feel, or HP. I think I may have gained about .5 to 1 mpg, but if so, it's only been during the summer months that I noticed that slight gain. My 3rd and final piece was the programmer. I currently have a Diablo tuner for my truck (previously had a BullyDog). The programmer was BY FAR the best mod money I have spent, if you're looking for actual results. With the tuner, I've changed my shift points, increased line pressure in the transmission to increase shift firmness for 1-4th gears, removed the top speed limiter (no, I've never needed to) removed completely all torque management, and de-activated the stupid, useless Displacement on Demand cylinder de-activation that GM has. After this, my truck was a completely different truck. I don't think I gained any actual HP, but I now have access to all 355 HP the truck is supposed to have. The driveability of the truck is Night and Day difference, only because the truck now shifts when I want it to for MY driving style. I have also noticed a slight increase in MPG (maybe 1.5 - 3) overall, and that is after also going to a wider, taller tire. I was able to change the speedometer settings as well, which was beneficial of having the programmer.
Now, I got very similar results on my Dad's 2016 Silverado as well with the programmer, and he has everything else factory. He didn't add exhaust yet, and has the factory air filter and box. He also tows a camper about 5 feet shorter than mine, and gets very similar fuel mileage and shift points.
Moral of my story is, the Exhaust and Cold Air intake / filter didn't do much if anything, other than make my truck louder. The programmer is what made the difference. I paid about $750 overall for may completely custom, stainless exhaust, about $150 for the MIT and $50 for the filter, and just under $400 for the programmer.

I will say, I like the $750 I spent on the exhaust the best though, because of the sound and look it added to my truck.

Your results may vary.
GXPWeasel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:13 PM   #9

Back in the 90ís I had a 94 and a 98 2500 that I had converted to dual exhaust. Other than noise, no real benefit in MPG or power.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXPWeasel1 View Post
I'm going to argue just a little bit with what Cowracer said, and then also agree with him in some areas as well.
I'm speaking from my experience on my truck, and on my dad's truck. Mine is a 2015 Silverado, 1500, with the 5.3L and 3:42 gears. My dads, is a 2016 Silverado, 1500, with the 5.3L and 3:42 gears.

I replaced my single factory exhaust right after purchase (30,000 miles). I did this not to gain any HP or fuel mileage increase, but because I wanted my truck to sound like a truck. I noticed no HP gain, no seat of the pants gain, and in fact, probably a tad worse MPG, but that was probably due to me not keeping my foot out of it. Second thing I did was put in a Airaid MIT intake. The intake boxes themselves in our modern trucks are pretty much "cold air" anyway, and the only choke point is the filter, and the stupid corrugated tubing going from the air box to the throttle body. The Airaid MIT is one of many products that replaces that piece. After that replacement, I noticed minimal, if any gains in any seat of the pants feel, or HP. I think I may have gained about .5 to 1 mpg, but if so, it's only been during the summer months that I noticed that slight gain. My 3rd and final piece was the programmer. I currently have a Diablo tuner for my truck (previously had a BullyDog). The programmer was BY FAR the best mod money I have spent, if you're looking for actual results. With the tuner, I've changed my shift points, increased line pressure in the transmission to increase shift firmness for 1-4th gears, removed the top speed limiter (no, I've never needed to) removed completely all torque management, and de-activated the stupid, useless Displacement on Demand cylinder de-activation that GM has. After this, my truck was a completely different truck. I don't think I gained any actual HP, but I now have access to all 355 HP the truck is supposed to have. The driveability of the truck is Night and Day difference, only because the truck now shifts when I want it to for MY driving style. I have also noticed a slight increase in MPG (maybe 1.5 - 3) overall, and that is after also going to a wider, taller tire. I was able to change the speedometer settings as well, which was beneficial of having the programmer.
Now, I got very similar results on my Dad's 2016 Silverado as well with the programmer, and he has everything else factory. He didn't add exhaust yet, and has the factory air filter and box. He also tows a camper about 5 feet shorter than mine, and gets very similar fuel mileage and shift points.
Moral of my story is, the Exhaust and Cold Air intake / filter didn't do much if anything, other than make my truck louder. The programmer is what made the difference. I paid about $750 overall for may completely custom, stainless exhaust, about $150 for the MIT and $50 for the filter, and just under $400 for the programmer.

I will say, I like the $750 I spent on the exhaust the best though, because of the sound and look it added to my truck.

Your results may vary.
I agree that "tuners" do the most for the money spent outside of a supercharger/turbocharger kit..

One can probably get away with them if they live in an area where they aren't subjected to regular Emission testing as rarely will a tuner not interfere with "emission calibrations".

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:44 PM   #11

My 3rd and final piece was the programmer. I currently have a Diablo tuner for my truck (previously had a BullyDog). The programmer was BY FAR the best mod money I have spent, if you're looking for actual results.
Which Diablo tuner did you use?

DW of 28 Years.
Hope to meet you on the trail.
ejw7213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:16 PM   #12
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
They work so well from the factory already.
Maybe, maybe not. But I really wish I woulda gotten hooked on crack cocaine instead of hot-rodding diesels.

It would have been cheaper.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:30 PM   #13
FLY4FUN

DUALS!

IMHO, trucks are supposed to have dual exhaust. Period. I'm sure it's gotta be in the Bible somewhere? . Regardless of whether it leads to better/worse mileage or more/less torque, a truck needs dual exhaust. The look and the sound alone is the worthy goal -- anything else is a bonus.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete00 View Post
thanks for the quick reply,
fyi. i have a y from manafold, muffler single in and out.

I noticed the size of the truck exhaust pipes, muffler etc is a little bigger than my 57 chevy i had in my earlier years.......lol
Then i think it would help . mine came from the factory with duel-2 1/2 " until the muffler where it goes 2 in and 3" out i added headers out of necessity olds ones cracked . Notice a seat of the pants improvement more so then from the k&n filter . don't even use it any more .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14apex View Post
IMHO, trucks are supposed to have dual exhaust. Period. I'm sure it's gotta be in the Bible somewhere? . Regardless of whether it leads to better/worse mileage or more/less torque, a truck needs dual exhaust. The look and the sound alone is the worthy goal -- anything else is a bonus.

Actually I checked my bible and to my surprise, and yours, there was a reference to dual exhaust.

Written by a guy that worked in the chariot garage, name of nascar.

He said and I quote
If your royal cart canít beat your loving neighbor do these things.

Remove all extra weight, your royal shield, arrows, spears and steel toe sandals.

Add a second horse, feed them better grain from the octane fields.

Wrap a towel around your head, fill it with straw to block out the extra noise from the dual exhaust gases.

There you go cant get much better expert than that.Ö

Old 08-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #16

Converting pickup to dual exhaust

I guess I am old. It doesnít excite me anymore to smash on it. I am old, I have and old truck and my RV is getting older by the day. I canít understand folks hot rodding diesels. More fuel mileage? Great. Make it spin the tires or go fast in the 1/4 mile....thatís where the old kicks in. SRT10 Dodge? Maybe, but I ainít pulling anything with that.

Yes I had a Road Runner with a 440, 4500 stall, 4:30 gears, 1150 Dominator, 12.5 pistons and ported heads....just a waste of money when I was young. I should have bought Walmart stock with the money. Ymmv
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejw7213 View Post
My 3rd and final piece was the programmer. I currently have a Diablo tuner for my truck (previously had a BullyDog). The programmer was BY FAR the best mod money I have spent, if you're looking for actual results.
Which Diablo tuner did you use?
I have the Intune i3
Puchased 2 licenses, one for me, one for my dad's Silverado.
GXPWeasel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #18

The additional noise will make you think you have more power.
Don't forget adding dual cats and double the O2 sensors needed to pass a smog check.
My son has headers on his 5.3 LM7 Silverado (same basic engine as the 6.0) and I can't tell if it improved performance or MPG. Save your money.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:26 PM   #19

The stock 3.5Ē exhaust is pretty good for the 6.0 L96 in the Chevy 2500. But getting rid of the ďtrash canĒ stock muffler is a good thing to do. I replaced the one on my 2015 2500 with a Magnaflo 12909 3.5Ē in and out with offset. Wonderful, throaty, muscle car sound without being obnoxious.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:31 PM   #20

Probably already has dual cats and sensors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
The additional noise will make you think you have more power.
Don't forget adding dual cats and double the O2 sensors needed to pass a smog check.
My son has headers on his 5.3 LM7 Silverado (same basic engine as the 6.0) and I can't tell if it improved performance or MPG. Save your money.

babock is offline   Reply With Quote