Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #1

Correct/Optimal Pin height 07 385 RLTS?

Hi Forest River,

I'm looking forward to some full timing! Does anyone know or know how I can find out the correct/optimal pin height for an 07 All American Sport 385 RLTS Toyhauler? I'm going to get the trailer out of state, and I'm setting up my hitch now. It has a Trail Air pin box.

Thank you!
Stew
stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You could ask the seller to measure the height of the king pin to the ground with the camper level and set your hitch to be 1 - 2" higher to allow for compression of the rear suspension of the truck.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #3

Yes that makes sense. Level trailer is optimum I'm sure. You know I can't find any sort of real specs for this trailer on the web. Forest River doesn't put a phone number on their web site., and I don't think dealers really have the info on non current model.

Anyway your advice sounds good. I hope the seller actually has the trailer level. And would he measure to the bottom of the upside down "ball" or the top of it I wonder? I use the word "ball" b/c I don't know the real term. I'm having a professional install the rails and hitch and he asked me this question. I suppose I should talk to him about exactly how to make the measurement.

Thank you Dave. Sorry for a dumb first question.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stew View Post
I hope the seller actually has the trailer level. And would he measure to the bottom of the upside down "ball" or the top of it I wonder? I use the word "ball" b/c I don't know the real term.
The measurement that you need would be the bottom face of the pin box to the ground, that's what sits on the hitch plate on the truck.

Dave

Old 12-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
The measurement that you need would be the bottom face of the pin box to the ground, that's what sits on the hitch plate on the truck.

Dave
Okay I understand. Thank you Dave.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Stew & Dave..

Thanks for posting this!

I am getting my hitch installed next week prior to taking delivery on the 29th and hadn't considered this. I just sent my dealer an email to get me the measurement for my trailer so I can have the hitch installed for the correct height. One less thing to worry about adjusting (hopefully) when I do the PDI.

Thanks again!

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Level trailer is optimum I'm sure.
Is this really true while towing? I had the seller measure the trailer while level and he sent me some pics of the Trail Air pin box too.

Well, he didn't measure it to the bottom face of the pin box. He measured to the bottom of the hitch pin: 42 1/2'' to the ground. I think the pin box can be moved up, however. Don't know how much. Please look at the pic and tell me what you think.

pinbox_zpse45e693b.jpg photo by stu_2 | Photobucket

He did another measurement to the bottom of the trailer itself so I could see what my clearance over the sides of the truck bed would be if the trailer was being towed level. It's 56 3/4'' from ground to the bottom of the trailer (to the fiberglass) . Heck it's 56 inches from ground to the top of the sides of my truck bed! (04 3500 Silverado dually 4 x 4). You evidently need at minimum 6" clearance between the trailer and the sides of the truck bed so it can't tow level. Right? I need help.

His trailer is level. But there is a little bit of slope where it's sitting, but he says not much. Doesn't look like much in a pic.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Stew, first of all about the Trail Air pinbox. There's a fixed portion at the top and a moveable portion at the bottom that's hinged at the back. The air bag and shock provide some cushioning from road shock. The bottom portion will pivot up slightly as you load the pin weight onto the hitch. I believe that there's some guideline to the air pressure to have in the air bag. The new boxes show multiple holes for mounting...the one in the picture is either adjusted as high as possible as there's no other mounting holes visible or it's non-adjustable for height. This shouldn't be a problem as you should be able to get the height you need with the truck's hitch.

The measurements that you got seem a little messed up. Looking at the picture of the front of the camper, it looks like its situated on a upslope as the landing gear aren't deployed out very far at all. I believe that the measurement on level ground will be much higher...maybe 2 or 3 inches more. FWIW, my overhang is about 58" from the ground and it's a torsion axle camper. I believe leaf sprung axle campers sit a little higher than torsion axle campers. My F250 2WD has a rear height of 54 1/2", almost the same as your 4x4 dually and I have about 6 1/2" clearance.

Remember when you load the pin weight unto the truck, the truck's suspension will compress around 2" or more depending on the pin weight which has to be considered when determining the clearance between truck and camper.

I'm pretty sure that you'll be fine. You haven't mentioned the type/make of hitch that you're planning on installing in the truck. Most hitches will have adjustment for height and it's only a 10 minute job to change it. You could set the hitch in the highest setting...worse case is the camper is riding a little nose high for the trip home. If you have the time you could hitch it up, measure the clearance between truck/camper and camper ride height front and rear and adjust the hitch if possible.

Dave

Old 12-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #9

Thank you again Dave for a lot of thoughtful info. I hadn't known or considered your point about Trail Air pinbox bottom portion pivoting up. And yes the front landing gear are not down very far. Did you see that from the other pic in my photobucket? Good point. I'm feeling better about it.

Quote:
the [pinbox] in the picture is either adjusted as high as possible as there's no other mounting holes visible or it's non-adjustable for height. This shouldn't be a problem as you should be able to get the height you need with the truck's hitch
It's hard for me to tell if there's holes or not from the pic but I'll take your word for it. I guess you'd see light coming through. I just have had installed a BD3 Air Ride hitch by Hensley Mfg, and it has room to move up but not down any more. The guy at Hensley told me most people who use air pin boxes with air ride hitches fill the air pin box very full to make it as tight as you can. Let the hitch be the cushion. Anyway, that should lift the trailer up a bit.

As you said, the truck's suspension will compress. Pin weight is 2700 lbs. I was gonna get axle airbags too, but someone said I wouldn't need them with my 04 3500 stock Silverado dually 4x4. I don't know if they would improve or worsen the ride of my truck and air ride hitch towing this 16-17 thousand pound trailer. With axle air bags the truck suspension will compress a lot less.

Thank you for the dialogue.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
As you said, the truck's suspension will compress. Pin weight is 2700 lbs. I was gonna get axle airbags too, but someone said I wouldn't need them with my 04 3500 stock Silverado dually 4x4. I don't know if they would improve or worsen the ride of my truck and air ride hitch towing this 16-17 thousand pound trailer. With axle air bags the truck suspension will compress a lot less.
The only point of adding the air bags would be to level the truck when it's loaded with the pin weight of the camper as the air loaded pin box and air loaded hitch will isolate any road shock. I can only speculate on the impact of the ride with the airbags on the truck. I'd wonder if the combination of truck air bags, air loaded pin box and air loaded hitch would combine to give a 'disconnected' feeling much like the ride you'd get when the suspenion is too soft.

Be sure to let us know how this ride height and pin box/hitch set-up works out.

Dave

Old 12-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #11

Quote:
The only point of adding the air bags would be to level the truck when it's loaded with the pin weight of the camper as the air loaded pin box and air loaded hitch will isolate any road shock. I can only speculate on the impact of the ride with the airbags on the truck. I'd wonder if the combination of truck air bags, air loaded pin box and air loaded hitch would combine to give a 'disconnected' feeling much like the ride you'd get when the suspenion is too soft.

Be sure to let us know how this ride height and pin box/hitch set-up works out.

Dave
I will let you know about the ride height and pin box/hitch. Thank you very much for the help. I won't get the axle air bags unless indicated. Cheers.