Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2014, 06:42 PM   #21
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
Many large employers have affiliate programs available for their employees and retirees with the US auto makers. It's worth a check to see if you are eligible. While they aren't always the best deal it does give you a reference for starting price negotiations.
Some retired Federal Employee organizations and Credit Unions have them also.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:45 PM   #22

I just added another $1,800- to mine... bought a topper...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:59 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
It is nuts to pay $40,000 for a vehicle. But what do you do if you need one for towing or some other job specific duty?
I hear ya on the dings. Every new truck I've bought since 1994 has gotten a ding in the 1st week or two. Only one that didn't was a 2010 F150 I bought. Had it 2.5 years and it was is perfect condition. Traded it in on my current 12 Ram 2500 and 5 days latter got caught in a freakish hail storm. Now I have about 6-7 pea size dents on the hood and roof. Busted out both vents on top of the TT we had. I guess you could say it's broken in now.
LOL We park in the "Truck Parking Lot" as 6 Actual calls it

(Furtherest slot out away from all the other cars )
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
I bought my 12 Ram 2500 4x4 CTD brand new for $10,000 off MSRP. I paid $36,000 for it. It's not a top line truck but I don't need all that bling just to haul some stuff for camping or house work. IMO used cars and trucks are so expensive because they cost so much new. It's a fine line between buying a 2-3 yr old vehicle as opposed to buying one new with big discounts. I'd much rather spend a few 1K more for a new vehicle with zero miles and full warranty. Buyers need to do their home work.

My '12 Tundra was $30K, new. Toyota uses the same gear ratio and drivetrain (4:30) regardless of bling. So my basic $30K truck will pull just like a $50K Tundra with leather, back up camera, and other goodies. I didn't want all the fancy stuff, heck we got that on my wife's CRV for much less. I personally don't think it's worth it dollar wise on a truck.

Although I still got bucket seats and console shifter, climate control, blue tooth, and even the chrome package. And much more reliable than my old truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #25

Yeah. I am looking to keep it basic. The base Tahoe is the LS trim package. This has the cloth seats. The next trim package is the LT with leather seats and a bit more. The LT is the middle package and is most common. Even looking at the used ones it is hard to find the base LS model. That being said, the LS is still in the $50K range for starting price. If I negotiate a 20% off price, we are still talking $40K. The top trim package - LTZ starts close to $65K!!!!
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #26

I've bought used, 2-3 yr old, for most my cars the past 25 years. But the last 'round' of car purchases new was the better deal.
Why?
Internet pricing can get you smokin' deals - our TV stickered at 41,200 and using truecar.com got $30,000 price on it. New. No haggles, no surprises, exactly what we wanted. Can't touch a used one for that (we looked).
Second is used cars are holding their value. very well.
interest rates are low too - bought a subaru in april and got 1.23% for 5 years, no special financing offered, and used the internet to get a price to bring the dealer down even more (he matched the price of another dealer).

The subaru was replacing a used one I bought 2 years ago (not a great one...). SAME payment, just added 2 years..so 5 instead of 3..on a new car instead of a 4 year old 65k mile one. No brainer really. Keep the old car and pay it off about the time it hits 8 years old and 100k or pay off a new one at 60k and 5 years old and keep it another 4+ years payment free.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
I need to replace my 2004 Chevy Trailblazer soon as I only like to keep my cars till they are 10 yrs old.

I own a High Wall pop up and need something to tow 5,000 lbs.

The wife likes the Chevy Tahoe so I started looking around at those and OMG are the prices high. I never knew they got so expensive. And they hold their value like crazy. These things only drop about 3K each year which is nothing for an auto. A 2011 is gonna run me about 30K for the base trimmed unit. That is close to a $700/month car pmt.
Why just 10 years ?? If the Trailblazer is still mechanically sound and it pulls the High Wall just fine, why not keep the Trailblazer for another 10 years ?? Take the $700 car payment and put just 1/2 of that away each month and you will have $42,000 towards your next purchase for a 2024 model. Of course, vehicles will be priced higher then, but you have fantastic down payment on a new vehicle.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #28

Depends where you live...I"m in pennsylvania and rust will get you around 10 years. And winter, hills, potholes take their tolls on cars, by 10 years reliability starts to decline. Cheaper to fix than payments, but it's inconvenient to have something go wrong ever 6 to 8 weeks.
Last TV...in 14 months: a/c fan, plug coil, rad support failed ($600), transmission died (2300), temp sensor, some odd elec anomoly that would kill the battery..sometimes..when it was below freezing (never fixed), rear suspension member/diff cover (rust), battery, a/c (part of rad support), ball joint, front calipers (and brakes, but they're a wear item), ABS system didn't work (bought it that way, never bothered to fix it).

Been there done that many times in the past 20 years..10 years is about it. Some vehicles do better than others, but it seems to be luck rather than brand or care. 14 years is pushing it.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #29
Who Dares, Wins

That was our issue, the wife's 2008 Trailblazer had 120,000 on it and would probably go another 100,000 but between our terrible winters in PA and the awesome roads it was not doing as well as I wanted. Still can't complain thought. Just put struts on a few thousand ago and no real major issues. Just wanted to get out as a tranny issue was forming.

We just bought a Traverse, but even with the max tow only pulls 5,000. Some of the motivation was also to make sure we never had two car payments at the same time. Tahoes were ridiculous and at least for us not needed. I tow with my truck so no need for two TV's.

It might have been a bit early to replace but by the time my truck needs a new home (2010 with 90,000) her's will be paid off. So more financial planning than need.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
SUVs are all over priced. I bought a new 1 ton crew cab diesel Chevy last year for $12,000 less than what a Tahoe costs and I can tow more than double.
I agree. I wanted a 2500 Suburban but that started at 60k!! We ended buying the 2500 Savana for HALF that and it pulls more, not to mention the kids have a ton more space!

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
That was our issue, the wife's 2008 Trailblazer had 120,000 on it and would probably go another 100,000 but between our terrible winters in PA and the awesome roads it was not doing as well as I wanted. Still can't complain thought. Just put struts on a few thousand ago and no real major issues. Just wanted to get out as a tranny issue was forming.

We just bought a Traverse, but even with the max tow only pulls 5,000. Some of the motivation was also to make sure we never had two car payments at the same time. Tahoes were ridiculous and at least for us not needed. I tow with my truck so no need for two TV's.

It might have been a bit early to replace but by the time my truck needs a new home (2010 with 90,000) her's will be paid off. So more financial planning than need.
Our TV and my B3000 are both thirteen years old. We ended up buying the truck unplanned due to the car it replaced being totaled. The TV used to be DW's car but we decided to replace her daily driver now and not be stuck having to replace both vehicles at the same time.

The TV is still in very good condition. The B3000 isn't a looker after having a tree fall on it but is mechanically sound. I figure both should hold out for at least a few more years. At that time my plan is to replace both with a full size pickup and an eye towards replacing out current TT a few years after that. Of course a lot depends upon what towing capacities look like down the road as the trend seems towards be less weight.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #32

The Yukon is starting to show rust and has some typical issues (ABS sensors this month) but is is still cheaper than new. Once we get tired of the issue we will get used. The value of vehicles drops too quickly just for driving them off the lot and we either buy new for 10 years or buy used for how ever many we can get.

The market is keeping the prices high so I am hoping that in a year or two the popularity of using a 3/4 ton gasser as a grocery getter will wane and we can look at a 3 year old lease return.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #33
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
I need to replace my 2004 Chevy Trailblazer soon as I only like to keep my cars till they are 10 yrs old.

I own a High Wall pop up and need something to tow 5,000 lbs.

The wife likes the Chevy Tahoe so I started looking around at those and OMG are the prices high. I never knew they got so expensive. And they hold their value like crazy. These things only drop about 3K each year which is nothing for an auto. A 2011 is gonna run me about 30K for the base trimmed unit. That is close to a $700/month car pmt. OUCH!.

I am finding that my options are pretty slim. Everything I see that can tow 5,000lbs is in the 30K range for a 3-4 year old unit with appropriate miles (12K/year).

Sure is depressing that the cost of the camping lifestyle is so high.

Sorry to rant. Just really frustrated.

Vin.
Come south and buy one. They are cheaper here and hardly any rust after 15-20 years. But yes used tahoes, yukons and escalades will run over $30k if your looking for a 2010 or newer with less than 100k on it (alittle or sometimes alot cheaper if your willing to have a 2wd, but I'd only buy 4wd for us)
Sorry but everything cost alot more these days

Last sept. I was looking at a NEW '13 Tahoe for the dw that was 4x4, 3.42, LT, Leather, 3rd row, and 20's and my employee cost was $39,995 for NEW. I think that employee price knocked $3500 off.

To the other post about a diesel truck being 12k off of price of tahoe, it must have been an Ltz tahoe msrp -Lt1 truck difference. You cant shop cars off of sticker much more than an rv unless ur looking a cheaper fuel efficient lines or really high end cars.

And yes i work at a dealership and our auto group sells, Gmc, Buick, Cadillac, Audi, Porsche, Landrover, Subaru, Mazda, Ford, Kia and soon to have (unless they just finished it) Masarati !
So you talk about a price range spread, I do $25k repairs quite frequently and its just gonna become more frequent too
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:07 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
To the other post about a diesel truck being 12k off of price of tahoe, it must have been an Ltz tahoe msrp -Lt1 truck difference. You cant shop cars off of sticker much more than an rv unless ur looking a cheaper fuel efficient lines or really high end cars.
If they put a Duramax in a Suburban, it would cost almost $20,000 more than a comparable optioned but much more capable truck. Why, because people love their SUVs and will pay those ridiculous prices
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:51 AM   #35
Oklahoma Proud

True.
I buy them because of need and Roi. (At least on tahoe/yukons) we need seating for 8 alot, and I wont buy a van (limited resale market and terrible roi), and around here even suburbans devalue quickly in comparison to their shorter counterparts.
We have a guy nearby that does excursion, 6 door, and raptor conversions. Here a price sheet to build them. ****and these prices are after you provide them a truck to start with. ***
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1406980298927.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	59494  
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #36
Wanna Be Camper

RAM trucks are nuts in price here. I saw a 6.4 Hemi Laramie Crew 2500 SRW 4x4 on the local lot that had a 75,000 sticker price and that was with 6k discount for the 6.4 and another 2k off for the 66RFE (yep they think people will pay almost the price of a 6.7 diesel for a 6.4 gas engine) and it didn't even have the rear air suspension.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
Where I live, a new truck from the big 3 will run you about half the cost of a decent 3br home...crazy!

I recently heard someone (Clark Howard?) likening the current truck/SUV market to the "Housing Bubble".
What does Clark Howard know about tow trucks? He used to drive a Honda Insight hybrid.

On weekends, he's at Goodwill trying to find good recycled clothes.

On weekends, I'm at my camper up in the North Georgia mountains communing with nature.

Modern diesel tow trucks are very expensive. But with a lifespan of 400,000 miles, they are actually a good buy in long term transportation. You do have to get over the mentality that you've got to trade every 3 years, however.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #38

I think a lot of people on here have a hard time justifying a $50k+ truck while they may have a E class Benz parked in their garage of their $500k home. Or maybe they go on a 2 week $10k European vacation every year.

Everyone has a reason to justify everything they bought but can't imagine why someone else can spend $$$ on something they enjoy.

Things I can't believe people spend money on: little cars that if you got in a wreck you would be DOA, getting a $50 haircut, having someone clean your gutters, etc.

It's all relative.

97Powerstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #39

I know the feeling. We went through that as well. All I can say is be patient and keep looking. Something will turn up just be ready because they don't stick around long. We eventually got exactly what we wanted for a price we could manage.

Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Powerstroke View Post
I think a lot of people on here have a hard time justifying a $50k+ truck while they may have a E class Benz parked in their garage of their $500k home. Or maybe they go on a 2 week $10k European vacation every year.

Everyone has a reason to justify everything they bought but can't imagine why someone else can spend $$$ on something they enjoy.

Things I can't believe people spend money on: little cars that if you got in a wreck you would be DOA, getting a $50 haircut, having someone clean your gutters, etc.

It's all relative.

If it were a mercedes truck then it would be easier to swallow...lol...!!..but honestly in the 10 houses near mine there are 5 newer super duties and 3 dodges....80% of the houses have an hd truck!!..dime a dozen round here...guess its the cheaper diesel?....lol

We pay someone to clean our house etc..my mother thinks its a waste and im lazy.?....lol...(she is retired we work all week)...it is all relative but I do cut my own hair as I think 5$ at the shop next to mine is a waste... :-)
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote