Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2015, 07:51 AM   #21

I think you will be pleased with the coupler mounted on top of the frame. If nothing more than ground clearance. Mine was just TOO low for me, the dealer did not think it was a big deal, but then they were not towing it, and like you say digging holes in the ground with the hitch. I was just lucky it was just dirt and not pavement. The Windjammer towed fine with the lower coupler and after adjustment of my wd hitch it set level. The dealer took the jammer to a local welding shop that removed and replaced the coupler. Due to the unhitching problems they replaced the factory coupler with one of theirs. I saw the bill and it was around $200. Good luck with the replacement. You will be very pleased at the new level. Once again, one would not think it would be that big of a deal, just a couple of inches, but by the time you get your wd sitting level for the tt. Not to mention the wd on the truck without the tt attached looked like I was going plowing.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #22

Chuck,

I agree. I have some great news. I asked one of the three big RV dealers in my town where they have trailer welding work done so I went by and inquired an estimate. He told me they would remove the undermount coupler and install the top mount one for approx 1 hour of labor which amounts to $70 here.....maybe a little more depending on how much time it actually takes. I thought this was reasonable. They have a good reputation and have been in business for 25 years doing this. The dealers refer work to them. Now the favor to ask.....I need to supply my own coupler and I REALLY liked the pics from your last install last year. Could you give me the model number and or brand of coupler installed on your windjammer? If I can pick one of these up I am thinking it may not cost me too much, depending on the coupler. It would be much appreciated if not too much trouble. Thank you for your effort to reply.

Carl in AL
Zolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:25 PM   #23

WOW what a deal, I don't recall if there is a name on the coupler, it was supplied by the welding shop who builds trailers. I won't be able to get by the trailer until next week, but I will check and get back with you. Maybe thats why the bill was $200 , because they supplied the coupler. I promise you will get your clearance back with the coupler on the top of the rail and you adjust your wd hitch. I will be back in touch.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:00 PM   #24

Chuck, thanks. No hurry or special trips necessary. I just made it my my storage unit today after all those posts early in the week. I'm good for several weeks and plan to take a trip to the Smokey Mountains in late April. Would love to get it done before then. I was almost able to make out the lettering from your picture posts last summer. If you have had good luck with that coupler I will just go with that one. All I could see was "10,000 lbs gvw" lol. I had good clearance with the 3 inch drop shank, trouble was it just was not enough to get the tongue down level. I needed 3 more inches of drop. When I moved the hitch mechanism to that 6 inch drop bar it extended down so far it would not even clear the hump in my driveway without inflating my shocks, but then it was not level again.....whew! So I can tow, but we have some really fun trips planned for this season, might as well get er fixed right. Thanks so much. I will do some before and after pics for everyone for future inquiries. Also going to put some MAXXI D tires on it before my Smokies trip. Thanks again, no rush. Have a great weekend.
Carl in AL
Old 03-31-2015, 04:00 PM   #25

Information on hitch, brand name "Atwood " p/n 88007. Searched the product several found for $53.43 not a bad price. Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:28 PM   #26

Thank you. Looks like an inexpensive option to gain some more clearance. Hour of labor on the weld plus coupler gets me in at approx $140. I will re-post and let others know in case they want to change theirs. Of course, my warranty just expired so I don't have an issue doing it at this time, especially since its an option from the factory anyway. Now I am off to find some tires. Just ordered a TPMS system today, got an incredible deal. Never seen it this low in price! Another thread however.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:36 AM   #27

Hi Zoin I went to Discount tire and bought Carlisle load range E ST tires from them for $509 balanced and new heavy duty valve steams. The tt I just traded in with the Carlisle tires had around 10,000 miles on them with no problems. Carlisle is the only manufacture that has a speed rating of 87 miles per hour. The rest are 60 or 65 or no rating for speed. I had Carlisle load rage E on my last tt and was very happy with them. I did not and will not air the tires up to there full working pressure of 80 psi. I aired them up to 70 psi. The rims are rated for 65 psi from what I have read on past posts so that put the pressure within less than 10% over there rating. The old tt I ran at 65 psi but this was a lighter tt also.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #28

Thank you for that recommendation. I trying to figure out what my rims are rated for before I decide on D or E. Sounds like you got an incredible deal.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:35 PM   #29

Let me know how the tires work out, I still have the original tires, they still look fine but looks can be deceiving . I'm not that concerned about speed rating I usually stay in the right lane anyway, just trying to stay out of peoples way and enjoy the ride.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:51 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

I've always been told to set the top of the ball @ 18-1/2" from the ground.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:57 PM   #31

These units have (3) different coupler heights! They cant all be (18- 1/2)? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #32
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
These units have (3) different coupler heights! They cant all be (18- 1/2)? Youroo!!
Don't think I implied or inferred that, just said what I'd been told.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:34 PM   #33

I have a '13 V-Lite 34.5' 1200 4 point equalizer using a '14 Ram Outdoorsman 1500 TV. Bought the truck 1 month before we went on a trip to Michigan from Indiana. Did not try to re adjust the hitch from my 2003 Ram I500 Thinking would be alright. "Wrong!!" We ran into 45 MPH winds and the camper was all over the road. I used the brake controller many times to keep it tracking behind us. Never had When we got home I measured the hitch Vs the camper and found the same as everybody else 17.5 top of coupler and 20.5 ball height. I am planning to order a longer shank and adding a couple of washers to try to get it closer. Equalizer wants both heights the same and I figured that must have been the problem. But like some of you, I am wondering If the hitch will drag. My 2003 did fine on a trip to South Carolina with the V-Lite but I am not sure of the hights because the dealer set it up. We have had many campers and never had any problems before. Now I am a little gun shy. I love the new truck!
What does everybody think? Anybody else have this problem?
Bolt guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #34

K.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:16 PM   #35

Bolt guy, I have found the best set up for my F150 with factory installed hitch is a 4 inch drop. With the spring bars attached this makes me ride slightly tongue high but still allows adequate ground clearance. I still don't like how low the coupler is, however and Charles Firth changed his coupler out. He did a great job of documenting his process and posting it last year from June-July 2014. Just search for his last name and you will eventually find it. Multiple pages with many comments and pics.

I can get the whole coupler changed for $135 labor and parts. Something to consider if you can't get it the way you want to. This will add that extra 2-3 inches back. Good luck!
TST 507RV TPMS
Old 04-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #36

Zolin, Thanks for bring up this post. I been fussing about this problem since I had that Michigan trip last fall. Good to hear from all with this problem and possible fixes!
Bolt guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #37

Don't you hate those white knuckle experiences in a half-ton. or any for that matter? lol
The 4 point sway control actually works very well for me. I just want to get my tongue down without losing ground clearance. Its very close now. Five washers and four inches down on shank, minimal air in shocks just to assist the truck suspension.
TST 507RV TPMS
Old 04-04-2015, 02:49 PM   #38

Still playing with the hitch, the bottom of the draw bar extends pretty low even in the 4 inch position. Higher than that I can go back to the 3 inch draw bar and not have to worry.
TST 507RV TPMS
Old 04-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt guy View Post
I have a '13 V-Lite 34.5' 1200 4 point equalizer using a '14 Ram Outdoorsman 1500 TV. Bought the truck 1 month before we went on a trip to Michigan from Indiana. Did not try to re adjust the hitch from my 2003 Ram I500 Thinking would be alright. "Wrong!!" We ran into 45 MPH winds and the camper was all over the road. I used the brake controller many times to keep it tracking behind us. Never had When we got home I measured the hitch Vs the camper and found the same as everybody else 17.5 top of coupler and 20.5 ball height. I am planning to order a longer shank and adding a couple of washers to try to get it closer. Equalizer wants both heights the same and I figured that must have been the problem. But like some of you, I am wondering If the hitch will drag. My 2003 did fine on a trip to South Carolina with the V-Lite but I am not sure of the hights because the dealer set it up. We have had many campers and never had any problems before. Now I am a little gun shy. I love the new truck!
What does everybody think? Anybody else have this problem?
I think what happened with your new setup, is that the higher ball heigth resulted in you losing tension in your bars. when you match the heigths and get the 5 degree pitch you should be okay...
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #40

I noted yesterday that when I am dropping my ball onto the hitch with the ball at level coupler height (17.5 inches) my truck drops 4 inches before attaching the spring bars so the spring bars have quite a bit of tension on them to get most of that back and level. I still use the slight assist of the Air Bags to level out the truck.
TST 507RV TPMS

Tags
v-lite, windjammer