Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2015, 11:30 PM   #1

Coupler height for Windjammer or V-lite

Do any of you Newer Windjammer or V-lite owners know what the coupler height is from the ground to the top of the inside of your coupler where the ball makes contact? This is obviously with the trailer both level and on level ground. My ball rides at 201/2 inches and it's too high when attached to the equalizer hitch with bars intact. My dealer sold me the standard 3 inch drop and put it in the bottom setting with 4 washers last year. Though it towed okay I added 2 washers. I don't like that it's always ridden high at tongue because load on the tandems are not level and it's not as safe. I disconnected it in a flat parking lot and tried to level it by measuring identical distances from frame to ground at front and back of trailer frame. I then measured the coupler height at 17 3/4 but I can't believe I would be off by almost 3 inches from set up

I purchased a six inch drop bar and have moved it to the lowest setting. Now, the top of my ball sits at 17 3/4 inches but is my coupler right? Let's hear what your trailers are. I have a 2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3025w. It is 34.5 ft long. Pulling with a 2010 F150 4x4 20 inch factory wheels with firestone air bags. My ball height is determined with no air in bags...0 psi. 20 lbs air raises the rear of truck 3/4 of inch. The hitch experts at factory say make all measurements with no air initially then add air as required after adjustments

Thanks fellow V nose owners..or anyone else who can answer my question accurately..

CP in AL
Zolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:38 AM   #2

I just read that some couplers are attached high and some are low--uh oh. No one seems to like the low mounted couplers due to dragging potential. Seems a six inch drop is excessive for a standard factory mounted hitch, especially for such a large trailer.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:05 AM   #3

Hi Zolin I just picked up my 2015 V-lite 30wikss on Friday. I will try to check the height as soon as i can. I have the trailer hooked up right now and will be on my way to discount tire in the morning to have E load rated tires put on her.

will get back to you Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:40 AM   #4

Jolin, use (Search) at the top. Type in (Charles Firth Post on 6/4/204! The post talks about the (3) diff.heights on Jammer/Vs! Post witch one you have then we can go from there! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:08 AM   #5

Thanks for that link. Will check and get back. I hope I don't have one of those low mount couplers. Did not know they were different. I purchased new and dealer did my setup. Don't like setup, but wondering what other coupler heights are. Thanks for posts.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #6

I got a technique I use to get ball heigth without leveling the trailer. I just measure between the axles to the bottom of the frame. then I take that measurement and add it to any frame changes as I work my way to the front, finishing at the top ofthe A frame
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #7
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
If it's off 3 inches front to back, it's 1 and 1/2 high/low on the other end. Just changed to a differant hitch myself that was 5" taller..... fix that!
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #8

On my 2819VS the coupler is welded to the bottom of the frame rails. I have seen some welded to the top.

MKClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKClark View Post
On my 2819VS the coupler is welded to the bottom of the frame rails. I have seen some welded to the top.

there you go...you got the gist of it...
Old 03-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #10

I'm thinking mine was 22" from ground to inside of coupler. Where I have mine parked it's a little high in the back. I don't know if this is the correct way to measure, but I leveled the my TT, then ran a string under the tire and up to the front. I put a string level on the string and pulled string tight. Raised it until the level was level. Measured from the inside of coupler to the level string. It made sense to me. Mine looks level when I'm hooked up.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:44 PM   #11

Thanks for that, sounds like you may have a top mounted coupler on your 3029. Appreciate all the trouble you went to. I would be curious what the top of ball to ground height is on your hitch next time you have the receiver in place......without being attached to the TT. Btw, I love the 3029w floor plan. Nice layout. Thanks
Old 03-24-2015, 11:46 PM   #12

Hi Zolin I have the equalizer 4 Hitch with the top of the ball to the ground measures 22 1/2" with out a tt hooked up to the tv. I have a 2015 30wikss Vlite from flagstaff which is the sister to the 2025 Windjammer from Rockwood. The tt is level with this ball height.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:56 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for your efforts to help me. You all must have top mount couplers, you are fortunate. After reading the suggested post I have determined I probably have a bottom mount coupler. I'm curious now to see what the bottom mount coupler and ball heights are. Best I can tell I am at a scary 17 3/4 inches. My ball on the first shank setup was almost 3 inches high at 20 1/2 inches. If I drop it on the new longer shank my chains will be dragging and I will have very low clearance.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:08 AM   #14

let it also be said ball heights are not set in stone. if you got traditional suspension, not the torqflex rubber style, you got some room to move. walking beams do distribute loads well. an extra low ball height can come up some. ive dropped the front a little too if things were in danger in the rear.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:16 AM   #15
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolin View Post
Thanks everyone for your efforts to help me. You all must have top mount couplers, you are fortunate. After reading the suggested post I have determined I probably have a bottom mount coupler. I'm curious now to see what the bottom mount coupler and ball heights are. Best I can tell I am at a scary 17 3/4 inches. My ball on the first shank setup was almost 3 inches high at 20 1/2 inches. If I drop it on the new longer shank my chains will be dragging and I will have very low clearance.
Zolin, here's a bottom mount (inverted) coupler on a 32 ft Rockwood. And it even sports a round bar WDH system - trunnion style is preferable for the bottom mount couplers but that's another story. We scooped out a Windjammer when we bought the Rockwood so I know the TTs have comparable air between the road and the TT. We've had no issues with clearance in the four yrs we've been tugging this arrangement. You should be ok once you get the ball height dialed in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coupler.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	72139  

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:36 PM   #16

I had un hitching problems with my Windjammer,the coupler would not release the ball. ( not an operator error) even the dealer has issues. They decided to replace the trailer coupler, this coupler was welded to the bottom of the frame. The original coupler was mounted on top. I made one trip with this setup, the tt towed fine, but I was uncomfortable with my hitch height. I never measured it but it was just to low. My TV is a ford f250 and is pretty stout for towing so sagging was not an issue.. The hitch was really low to the ground, I went back to the dealer and looked at the other Windjammers on their lot and all the couplers were mounted on the top. Other brands had them mounted both ways. The dealer was great and paid to have the coupler welded to its original point. It now unhitches fine and tows great and I feel much better with the ground clearance. The hitch never dragged but it would not have taken much to hit something. One would not think that just a few inches makes a difference. Hope this helps
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolin View Post
Thanks for that, sounds like you may have a top mounted coupler on your 3029. Appreciate all the trouble you went to. I would be curious what the top of ball to ground height is on your hitch next time you have the receiver in place......without being attached to the TT. Btw, I love the 3029w floor plan. Nice layout. Thanks
Mine measures 23 1/2" from ground to top of ball. Don't know if the ground is 100% level where I am parked when I was measuring. When I'm all hooked up everything looks level. I've been told just eyeball it, if it looks level you're good. I'm not an expert, but sounds right to me. I've never thrown a level on it while hooked up and on verified level ground.
On the washers that angles the hitch back I have 5 washers.
Might mention I have a Husky WDH. I had to replace the shank when I got my new Ram. I needed the extra drop down because the Ram truck sits up a lot higher than my Ford did. Also went with a 2 1/2" shank where I wouldn't have to use the 2 1/2" to 2" receiver reducer. I got my new shank off ebay
5 5 8" Deep Drop 2 5" Shank Weight Distribution Hitch | eBay.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:57 PM   #18

My windjammer is a 2015 and came with a bottom mount coupler. I am going to have it cut off and a top mount welded on. I'm tired of digging out a hole to get the tongue low enough to level at certain sites. I use a propride hitch and the weight dist bars often hit the ground when leveling.

Linc

2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3006WK
2014 Ram 1500
missing_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:43 PM   #19

Thanks, Charles. Another member directed me to your thread from last summer. I am sorry for all the hassle you went through with your couplers but your posts as you went through your debacle have been helpful. I would like to go with a top mount but I don't know the cost or even where I could find an experienced shop like you did. Your dealer was incredible to keep a satisfied customer. Glad it tows better and with more clearance. The six inch shank hanging from my hitch, and the hitch mechanism on the bottom two bolts don't leave but about 8 inches of clearance, not enough. My coupler disconnects w no issues. Thanks for everyone's replies. Will try to figure things out this weekend.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:44 PM   #20

Let me know how that goes. Thanks!

Tags
v-lite, windjammer