Old 05-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

My biggest scare when I 1st got my camper was those bridges going under the water.

I have a neighbor that used to live in the Virginia Tidewater area, and had to go through a tunnel to get to his campground. He was telling me that things are really tight, and his TV could not keep up speed because of the "suction" in the tunnel.

Needless to say, I was a little apprehensive on my 1st trip through a tunnel. Turns out is was a piece of cake. My TV did not struggle, and I just stayed in my lane as everybody else did. Looking out my right mirror, I could see that I had at least 1 1/2' between my awning supports and the wall.

The worst part of the Virginia under water bridges is trying to get back into traffic after the mandatory VDOT hazardous material (propane) inspection.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #12

Chesapeake Bay Tunnel! My first trip through it we met a tractor trailer right at the entrance. Certainly a little unnerving!

I think most travel lanes are at least 12', that leaves a whole 2' on each side.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C1
Chesapeake Bay Tunnel! My first trip through it we met a tractor trailer right at the entrance. Certainly a little unnerving!

I think most travel lanes are at least 12', that leaves a whole 2' on each side.
We plan on going there next fall (cape Hatteras) and this tunnel scares me a bit
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #14

I wanted to cross the Mackinac Bridge here in Michigan but this is Dh's first year pulling a TT so he doesnt want to this year. I have been the passenger with my Dad pulling it several times. It is always makes you a little uneasy though.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
We plan on going there next fall (cape Hatteras) and this tunnel scares me a bit
The drive along the Delmarva Pennisula is very nice and the views when you get to the bridge are well worth it. The speed limit is reduced in the tunnel. It is not that bad. I didn't experience any suction problems as someone mentioned.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
After the 1st time through, you will wonder what you were so worried about.

Like I posted before, the biggest problem is getting back into traffic after the VDOT stop. Your propane tanks will need to be cut off at that time. I will usually cut mine off beforehand at my previous rest stop, but no problem with cutting then off a the VDOT stop. I do go back into the trailer and physically cut my fridge off before I cut the propane off at the tank, so the fridge won't keep trying to start, and maybe draining my lines. I figure that will make it easier to start up after the tunnels at the next convenient stop. If I am less than an hour away from my final destination, then I don't even bother to cut the fridge back on.

Sorry, I seemed to have hijacked this thread. The OP was on bridge crossings. My bad.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy

After the 1st time through, you will wonder what you were so worried about.

Like I posted before, the biggest problem is getting back into traffic after the VDOT stop. Your propane tanks will need to be cut off at that time. I will usually cut mine off beforehand at my previous rest stop, but no problem with cutting then off a the VDOT stop. I do go back into the trailer and physically cut my fridge off before I cut the propane off at the tank, so the fridge won't keep trying to start, and maybe draining my lines. I figure that will make it easier to start up after the tunnels at the next convenient stop. If I am less than an hour away from my final destination, then I don't even bother to cut the fridge back on.

Sorry, I seemed to have hijacked this thread. The OP was on bridge crossings. My bad.
Bridge, tunnels, potatoe, potaaatoe....
One thing we don't plan on doing is driving with propane off (too chicken to do it hahah). We don't plan on having much food in fridge, cheaper to shop in the USA for food than Canada. We'll run fridge overnight before trip to cool it off and then off we go.

Bridges always make me uncomfortable. Lucky I am not the one driving!
I drove through the Beauharnois tunnel in Sallaberry de Valleyfield the other day on my way to visit my dad to see how it would be with the tt. Still not sure about it. There's a lane indicating to go right for hazardous substance vehicles but once in the tunnel, there is only one lane. Confused.

Lets show more scarybridges pictures and desensitize each other from looking at them lol
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #18
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKapa View Post
I wanted to cross the Mackinac Bridge here in Michigan but this is Dh's first year pulling a TT so he doesnt want to this year. I have been the passenger with my Dad pulling it several times. It is always makes you a little uneasy though.
We are going to cross it in August
I would rather spend the extra 7 hours and drive through Canada, around Lake Huron and Georgian Bay, to get to Sault St Marie but the DH does not agree with me on that one......idk something about gas prices and wasting 14 hours.....
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #19

I'm not a big fan of heights at all so I don't really care for driving across the Mackinac Bridge in a car alone let alone towing a camper. I might end up having a freak out!
Equal-i-zer 4-pt
Mkayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
My biggest scare when I 1st got my camper was those bridges going under the water.

I have a neighbor that used to live in the Virginia Tidewater area, and had to go through a tunnel to get to his campground. He was telling me that things are really tight, and his TV could not keep up speed because of the "suction" in the tunnel.

Needless to say, I was a little apprehensive on my 1st trip through a tunnel. Turns out is was a piece of cake. My TV did not struggle, and I just stayed in my lane as everybody else did. Looking out my right mirror, I could see that I had at least 1 1/2' between my awning supports and the wall.

The worst part of the Virginia under water bridges is trying to get back into traffic after the mandatory VDOT hazardous material (propane) inspection.
I was stationed in Norfolk for a little over 2 years. Lived in Newport News for a bit of that time and crossed the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel every day then. I crossed the Chesapeake Bay BT a handfull of times when I was moving to ME and after I got out to pick up the GF who stayed behind. One thing to note is Virginians seem to hate the dark. As soon as people get into the tunnel, they slow waaaaay down. Lots of traffic through them. Really fun to catch them on a slow day though. Our car club would go through with the windows down to see who had the best sounding exhaust, lol.

'12: 27
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote