Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #1

Crossing bridges with a camper?

I'm getting more adventurous with pulling my TT. Planning a trip down to Shenandoah and doing some route recon. Looks like I'll have to cross the Potomac River on US-340 (MD/VA line). It's a pretty narrow bridge to begin with and it didn't help when using "Google/Street View" there was an enormous oversized tractor trailer straddeling the yellow lines in one picture. (not even sure if he should have been on there)

Which led me to the question... What would you do in such a case? This semi was enormous, I'm not sure even my Excursion TV could squeeze through the other direction. Would he slow down so you could both carefully maneuver past each other?

Of course I may not even have to deal with a semi or even a car while crossing the bridge. Just wondering if some of the more seasoned drivers might have some narrow road/bridge tips for a newbie...

TIA
Old 05-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #2

Wouldn't think you'd have a problem, but years ago I was crossing an old one lane historic bridge, and a tractor trailer decided he wasn't waiting for me to come across. He wouldn't budge, and even at 16 I had enough sense to give way, back my pick up and 12' boat the 1/4 mile back across the bridge. Think that's the day I learned to back a trailer.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have crossed that bridge several times with my Surveyor, as well as the bridge over the Shenandoah River in that area. They are both plenty wide, and nice bridges.

If you can, plan on traveling that area outside of rush hour. Rt 340 narrows from 4 lanes down to 2 before the bridge, and there are some hefty backups sometimes with the traffic coming out of Frederick trying to get over that bridge. It continues to be 2 lane through the Md., Va., and W.Va., and on across the Shenandoah River bridge, so it is a busy little area. It widens back into 4 lane outside of Harper's Ferry.

Because of the mountains and the river gorges, there aren't any other convenient nearby choices.

You say are going to Shenandoah......the town ?? I grew up in that town.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #4

I had just that very experience this weekend while traveling to Talladega for the race. A semi and I both hit the narrow county bridge at the same time. He was clearly on the center line. I moved as close to the right curb as possible without scrubbing tires and stared straight ahead. All of this was while we were both doing 50mph+. Thankfully there was no contact. My wife and her friend who were in the vehicle behind me thought there would be a wreck for sure and started slowing down to avoid the carnage that was surely to come.
I have put truckers into two categories. Safe, contientious and courteous drivers; and then there are those who just bully their way because of their shear size.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
Current River Rat

If you have to travel I-64 west out of St. Louis and cross the Daniel Boone bridge over the Missouri River stay in the middle lane. Very narrow lanes, even with traffic going on the same direction. 50 mph limit on the bridge, like that happens.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #6
Brigitte

Not your bridge but, we have to cross on the Thousand island bridge. Gives me the willies!

Name:   image-1390760408.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  12.9 KB
Attached Images

Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #7

That's a cool bridge!
2001 F-350 Powerstroke
1995 F-350 7.5L 460
Numerous Ford and New Holland Tractors up to 135hp. Bobcat 773.
cre10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #8

I have a great dislike for bridges, with or without my camper.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
Not your bridge but, we have to cross on the Thousand island bridge. Gives me the willies!

Attachment 13388
The second pics reminds me of the bridge in a nightmare I have every so often. Ditto on the willies!

I tend to slow down a bit while driving on a bridge but can't say the drivers behind me are happy campers.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #10
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier

The second pics reminds me of the bridge in a nightmare I have every so often. Ditto on the willies!

I tend to slow down a bit while driving on a bridge but can't say the drivers behind me are happy campers.
I have that same nightmare!! Like a roller oaster bridge.

Thus bridge is also very narrow in my opinion. Beautiful view of the thousand islands if you are not driving and have the nerve to look down
Timbrens
Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

My biggest scare when I 1st got my camper was those bridges going under the water.

I have a neighbor that used to live in the Virginia Tidewater area, and had to go through a tunnel to get to his campground. He was telling me that things are really tight, and his TV could not keep up speed because of the "suction" in the tunnel.

Needless to say, I was a little apprehensive on my 1st trip through a tunnel. Turns out is was a piece of cake. My TV did not struggle, and I just stayed in my lane as everybody else did. Looking out my right mirror, I could see that I had at least 1 1/2' between my awning supports and the wall.

The worst part of the Virginia under water bridges is trying to get back into traffic after the mandatory VDOT hazardous material (propane) inspection.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #12

Chesapeake Bay Tunnel! My first trip through it we met a tractor trailer right at the entrance. Certainly a little unnerving!

I think most travel lanes are at least 12', that leaves a whole 2' on each side.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #13
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C1
Chesapeake Bay Tunnel! My first trip through it we met a tractor trailer right at the entrance. Certainly a little unnerving!

I think most travel lanes are at least 12', that leaves a whole 2' on each side.
We plan on going there next fall (cape Hatteras) and this tunnel scares me a bit
Timbrens
Old 05-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #14

I wanted to cross the Mackinac Bridge here in Michigan but this is Dh's first year pulling a TT so he doesnt want to this year. I have been the passenger with my Dad pulling it several times. It is always makes you a little uneasy though.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #15

Quote:
We plan on going there next fall (cape Hatteras) and this tunnel scares me a bit
The drive along the Delmarva Pennisula is very nice and the views when you get to the bridge are well worth it. The speed limit is reduced in the tunnel. It is not that bad. I didn't experience any suction problems as someone mentioned.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
After the 1st time through, you will wonder what you were so worried about.

Like I posted before, the biggest problem is getting back into traffic after the VDOT stop. Your propane tanks will need to be cut off at that time. I will usually cut mine off beforehand at my previous rest stop, but no problem with cutting then off a the VDOT stop. I do go back into the trailer and physically cut my fridge off before I cut the propane off at the tank, so the fridge won't keep trying to start, and maybe draining my lines. I figure that will make it easier to start up after the tunnels at the next convenient stop. If I am less than an hour away from my final destination, then I don't even bother to cut the fridge back on.

Sorry, I seemed to have hijacked this thread. The OP was on bridge crossings. My bad.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #17
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy

After the 1st time through, you will wonder what you were so worried about.

Like I posted before, the biggest problem is getting back into traffic after the VDOT stop. Your propane tanks will need to be cut off at that time. I will usually cut mine off beforehand at my previous rest stop, but no problem with cutting then off a the VDOT stop. I do go back into the trailer and physically cut my fridge off before I cut the propane off at the tank, so the fridge won't keep trying to start, and maybe draining my lines. I figure that will make it easier to start up after the tunnels at the next convenient stop. If I am less than an hour away from my final destination, then I don't even bother to cut the fridge back on.

Sorry, I seemed to have hijacked this thread. The OP was on bridge crossings. My bad.
Bridge, tunnels, potatoe, potaaatoe....
One thing we don't plan on doing is driving with propane off (too chicken to do it hahah). We don't plan on having much food in fridge, cheaper to shop in the USA for food than Canada. We'll run fridge overnight before trip to cool it off and then off we go.

Bridges always make me uncomfortable. Lucky I am not the one driving!
I drove through the Beauharnois tunnel in Sallaberry de Valleyfield the other day on my way to visit my dad to see how it would be with the tt. Still not sure about it. There's a lane indicating to go right for hazardous substance vehicles but once in the tunnel, there is only one lane. Confused.

Lets show more scarybridges pictures and desensitize each other from looking at them lol
Timbrens
Old 05-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #18
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKapa View Post
I wanted to cross the Mackinac Bridge here in Michigan but this is Dh's first year pulling a TT so he doesnt want to this year. I have been the passenger with my Dad pulling it several times. It is always makes you a little uneasy though.
We are going to cross it in August
I would rather spend the extra 7 hours and drive through Canada, around Lake Huron and Georgian Bay, to get to Sault St Marie but the DH does not agree with me on that one......idk something about gas prices and wasting 14 hours.....
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:47 AM   #19

I'm not a big fan of heights at all so I don't really care for driving across the Mackinac Bridge in a car alone let alone towing a camper. I might end up having a freak out!
Equal-i-zer 4-pt
Mkayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
My biggest scare when I 1st got my camper was those bridges going under the water.

I have a neighbor that used to live in the Virginia Tidewater area, and had to go through a tunnel to get to his campground. He was telling me that things are really tight, and his TV could not keep up speed because of the "suction" in the tunnel.

Needless to say, I was a little apprehensive on my 1st trip through a tunnel. Turns out is was a piece of cake. My TV did not struggle, and I just stayed in my lane as everybody else did. Looking out my right mirror, I could see that I had at least 1 1/2' between my awning supports and the wall.

The worst part of the Virginia under water bridges is trying to get back into traffic after the mandatory VDOT hazardous material (propane) inspection.
I was stationed in Norfolk for a little over 2 years. Lived in Newport News for a bit of that time and crossed the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel every day then. I crossed the Chesapeake Bay BT a handfull of times when I was moving to ME and after I got out to pick up the GF who stayed behind. One thing to note is Virginians seem to hate the dark. As soon as people get into the tunnel, they slow waaaaay down. Lots of traffic through them. Really fun to catch them on a slow day though. Our car club would go through with the windows down to see who had the best sounding exhaust, lol.
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote