Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #1

Crusader 290RLT specs

We just ordered a new Crusader 290RLT Touring Edition. Never had a 5th wheel before and am in the process of installing a hitch. Does anyone have the height from the ground to the bottom of the pin with the trailer level? I'd like to set the hitch base correct the first time and according to the instructions I should get this measurement, subtract the height of my bed and the result will be the height to be set for the hitch.
TIA
Pete
pryner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #2

My yard's not level where the camper is sitting so I can't help with the measurement. When I installed my hitch I just quessed and fine tuned later. Welcome to the site!
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryner View Post
I'd like to set the hitch base correct the first time and according to the instructions I should get this measurement, subtract the height of my bed and the result will be the height to be set for the hitch.
TIA
Pete
You also need to allow for compression of the suspension...probably 2" into that calculation.

Try sending a PM to 'RV Guy'...he works for Prime Time and should be able to get the measurement. Should also have the measurement of the overhang to the ground when level to check clearance between it and the truck's bed rails.

Here a link to a thread where this was discussed previously.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...a-18578-3.html

BTW, welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #4

We just took delivery of our 290RLT last month. Put a Bulldog Hitch in our Tundra. We also installed air bags on the truck; for a better ride and a way to help with loading issues on the truck and the 5th wheel, we thought it would be a better way to go. The 5W is in the shop getting solarized, but I can get a measurement for you soon. Cheers,
NeedMoreLeisureTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoreLeisureTime View Post
We just took delivery of our 290RLT last month. Put a Bulldog Hitch in our Tundra. We also installed air bags on the truck; for a better ride and a way to help with loading issues on the truck and the 5th wheel, we thought it would be a better way to go. The 5W is in the shop getting solarized, but I can get a measurement for you soon. Cheers,
Not to pirate this thread, but I hope you've looked at your rear axle weight on your Tundra. I'm assuming that 'getting solarized' would also mean 2 or 4 - 6V batteries in the front compartment which will really increase the pin weight.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #6

Yep, we're watching our weights carefully. Replacing one 12v battery with two 6v batteries. Our first stop after the shop will be to hit the scales.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #7

Pryner, we stopped by the shop. The 290RLT was close to level, and the bottom of the Travelair pin was right at 48" off the ground. Maybe add .5" for right on level. Hope this helps.

Tags
290rlt