Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #1

Crusader 295RST- what hitch to use

Hello,
I am new to 5th wheeling and just puchased a crusader 295 RST. My truck is a crew cab dodge, 3/4 ton, short bed (6' 4"). Just wondering if anyone out there is pulling a cusader with a short box. They are advertised as being able to turn 88 degrees with one. I am looking at the Pullrite brand. I would hate to buy a non slide hitch only to realize later I should have gone with the slider. Is 88 degrees plenty for tight turns.
Thanks for any help.
Tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tude
Hello,
I am new to 5th wheeling and just puchased a crusader 295 RST. My truck is a crew cab dodge, 3/4 ton, short bed (6' 4"). Just wondering if anyone out there is pulling a cusader with a short box. They are advertised as being able to turn 88 degrees with one. I am looking at the Pullrite brand. I would hate to buy a non slide hitch only to realize later I should have gone with the slider. Is 88 degrees plenty for tight turns.
Thanks for any help.
Welcome to the forum tude!
I've yet to use my slider but when I need it guess what pull the lever slide the hitch and away we go!

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tude View Post
Hello,
Thanks for any help.
I have a 270ret Crusader, pull it with a F-150 short bed/12k super glide by Pullrite. Personally I don’t think I need a slide hitch, because of the fifth wheel nose configuration. The Crusaders were designed for short bed trucks, As per Primetime. This is also my first fifth wheel. The thing I hate most about my slide hitch is, the jerking as it slides back. It really jerks the truck, as you go into a turn, as it slides back. It gives you a feeling as if the trailer is falling off the truck. I’m getting use to that feeling now, but sill don’t like it. My truck lease is up this Feb., I may try a standard hitch and sell the slide hitch. I have been watching the camp grounds for the same truck and trailer with a non slide hitch, but so far no luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06855.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	20870  
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. It makes me lean toward getting a non slide hitch. This will also save more than $500.
Tude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #5

I'm a little late in replying. We have always had a short bed truck and having been pulling 5th wheels since 1999. The newer models with the 88 degree turning capability are perfect. You don't have to worry and spend extra on a slider.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I have a 270ret Crusader, pull it with a F-150 short bed/12k super glide by Pullrite. Personally I don’t think I need a slide hitch, because of the fifth wheel nose configuration. The Crusaders were designed for short bed trucks, As per Primetime. This is also my first fifth wheel. The thing I hate most about my slide hitch is, the jerking as it slides back. It really jerks the truck, as you go into a turn, as it slides back. It gives you a feeling as if the trailer is falling off the truck. I’m getting use to that feeling now, but sill don’t like it. My truck lease is up this Feb., I may try a standard hitch and sell the slide hitch. I have been watching the camp grounds for the same truck and trailer with a non slide hitch, but so far no luck.
You sure your pullrite is adjusted correctly? It shouldn't do that. I've had an 18k super slide for 4years and there is no clucking in any mode of operation. There are posts here about adjustments of the head.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #7

So my dealer called and left a message this afternoon that they installed my Pullrite hitch in my F250. They hooked it up to my 295RST and said it was sagging. They are recommending adding leaf springs that they said they can have done for me but I have read about airbags. Thoughts?
mdalb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdalb20 View Post
So my dealer called and left a message this afternoon that they installed my Pullrite hitch in my F250. They hooked it up to my 295RST and said it was sagging. They are recommending adding leaf springs that they said they can have done for me but I have read about airbags. Thoughts?
I added air bags, works great. Leaf springs won't give you the flexibility of adjusting your ride comfort loaded or unloaded.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
Toy-aholic

What he said ^ ^ ^ or buy a 1 ton truck.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMig View Post
I added air bags, works great. Leaf springs won't give you the flexibility of adjusting your ride comfort loaded or unloaded.
Thanks. Air bags seem like the better idea. I wouldn't want to tackle that job myself. Who would handle that?
Old 05-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdalb20 View Post
Thanks. Air bags seem like the better idea. I wouldn't want to tackle that job myself. Who would handle that?
I did it myself. You can order a kit from Air Ride or Firestone that is 100% bolt on. Not that difficult for a manual system.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMig View Post
I did it myself. You can order a kit from Air Ride or Firestone that is 100% bolt on. Not that difficult for a manual system.
Thanks. Not sure I am that handy. Unfortunately I was planning on picking up and pulling it about two hours north to my seasonal site this weekend. I am assuming if it sags to much it may be dangerous. The RV dealer said they could have the extra leaf put in perhaps they could do that as well. I will ask tomorrow.

Tags