Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #21

I will also consider the service department at the dealership. At some point you may need to take your truck in for service. I've heard horror stories about the service department at my local Ford dealership, and for that reason I will never buy a vehicle from them.

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #22

Two factors generally come int play with a new truck - what can you afford, and what do you like best. I have had two Ram diesels, both 2nd generation diesels. On Doge, the weak point has always been the transmission. The Cummins engine is almost bullet proof, bit after 2003, they did begin to have issues with overheating. Even had a Doge sales guy tell me to buy a Ford when I was in the market for a new truck (thought that was hilarious!). I ended up going with a F350 SD 6.4L SRW longed truck. Primary reason was that 1) it had a higher load / tow capacity than Dodge and Chevy, 2) Was a lot more comfortable n the interior and roomier, 3) had great torque and acceleration. Chevy never entered into the conversation for me. In the Northwest, where I live, you see Dodge and Ford as the bulk of work trucks around. These have both proven themselves to be viable vehicles and each has its own quirks. Take a look around some of the Dodge Cummins and Powerstoke forums to get an idea of issues people may be having. That won give you an idea of how best to spend $50 to $60K dollars. Good luck... BTW- love my truck and am very happy with it.
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #23

What I don't see above is that the RAM is not made by a US truck company
and it is made in Mexico. They sell a lot of the RAMS in SE Texas because they are cheaper then the Ford or Chev/GMC around here. I wen with the F250, diesel, CC, RWD
with a long bed. The 6.7 is less nosie and no black smoke. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
One problem John

Ok two

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "32"
LOOK!!! That GM broke down when he was backing out... sad.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #25

I looked at a 2012 f250 4x4 6.7 proudly displayed on the door yesterday.... I hopped to see the cargo...MMMM 2002lbs. I said dang. My ole Dodge has 2065 and it's a joke. I was very surprised by the low capacity. It had a factory 5th and goose package...I hope his 5er ain't more than 25 ft.
Moral of the story... check the cargo BEFORE you buy.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
What I don't see above is that the RAM is not made by a US truck company
and it is made in Mexico. They sell a lot of the RAMS in SE Texas because they are cheaper then the Ford or Chev/GMC around here. I wen with the F250, diesel, CC, RWD
with a long bed. The 6.7 is less nosie and no black smoke. Good Luck
On either the Ford or the Dodge if you are rollin coal you are not setup correctly JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:20 PM   #27

My guess is you will get a better deal on the Ford because they are bringing out a totally new HD truck and the dealers will not want to be stuck with the old model.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:45 PM   #28

This year they are coming out with an all aluminum 250/350 truck with a different weight distribution as I was told while at the ford dealer having my truck worked on. My brother who works for the county said they have not had good luck with the aluminum beds on the fords they bought they dent easier then the steal. But carry more payload (F150)
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:56 PM   #29

I got my 12 Cummins because I heard nothing but horror stories about the HPFP CP.4 that Ford, VW and GM were using. Cummins still uses the CP.3 which is way more reliable. VW and GM were proudly honoring HPFP failures but Ford was telling their owners that the failure was their fault regardless of the cause. So much for buying American.
I also heard that Ram/Dodge trucks were complete junk. Well my 12 is a little over 4years old and is as solid as when new. More than I could say for the 2010 F150 I traded in on it.
So much misinformation on the net about all the trucks. Best thing to do is drive all and decide.
I would've looked at GM but for some reason they just don't have very many to look at where I live. I'm guessing the reason is that they just don't sell that many. Last sale report I saw GM trailed Ram and Ford in 3500 sales and was barely ahead of Ram in 2500 sales.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #30

Cummins premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
I got my 12 Cummins because I heard nothing but horror stories about the HPFP CP.4 that Ford, VW and GM were using. Cummins still uses the CP.3 which is way more reliable. VW and GM were proudly honoring HPFP failures but Ford was telling their owners that the failure was their fault regardless of the cause.

Yup, Ford pretty much says any HPFP problem is due to water and deny the claim... which can be over $10k to fix. This is what I have read; I have no personal knowledge. Lots of write-ups out there reporting the same thing.

I'll continue to run the piss out of my gasser and not worry...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #31

I understand that Ford or Bosch has tweaked the new CP.4s to potentially eliminate catastrophic failures. Haven't heard or read much lately so they must've done something right.
It's a shame too, as I've been a Ford guy for many years. I would give them another chance no doubt. But probably go back to a gasser regardless of which brand.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #32
Senior Senior Member

Looking at my sig it's easy to see my preference. I love this truck. Always used a pickup or suburban in my daily work so I have some experience but never had a freekin diesel. The only other Dodge/RAM PU I ever had was a long time ago 1/2 ton 1951... (wish I still had that) but I digress..

You did not ask but if I were to do it over... I would go with the 3500 SWD to get that extra payload whether you go Powerstroke, Cummins or Duramax. It's almost the same money.

Isn't it fun getting ready to "pull the trigger"?
Old 08-26-2016, 08:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfort View Post
Honest opinion is nope. The cummins is a good motor but I have seen way to many issues with a Dodge and I will never own another but that is my opinion as a former Dodge owner and technician. You have to decide if it is worth it to you.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Honest opinion is yup. Have owned others, but the Cummins is in a class by itself. Have had no issues with ours. Powerstroke- is that the one that is 8 cylinders and you can't work on it cause there's no room under the hood?!? The ride in the RAM is quite a bit better since they went to coil springs. Would never own a Powerstroke myself, but that's just personal preference. Seriously, the big 3 diesels are all pretty nice, but there's only one Cummins. You will never look back...
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:08 PM   #34

Biggest issue I have with Chrysler products is getting parts. Discontinuing parts after a couple years, back order parts with no release date. I currently have 4 Chrysler products at my repair facility that are waiting and have been for over a month for back order parts, one sent to auction because parts are discontinued and one under an airbag recall they don't even know how to fix yet. This has been the norm for the last couple years. Just my observation.

2000 F250 CC 4x4 7.3L diesel

15 Salem Hemisphere Lite356QB
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:36 PM   #35

I am on my second Dodge/Ram. 2005 3500 followed by 2015 3500. Son in law now has the 2005. Still going strong. I am a diesel mechanic (or was). Cummins is not without problems. Everything from bad blocks to fuel filters that ruined engines. Nothing as bad as Ford 6.0 and 6.4. Doges best engine was the 12 valve and Fords was the 7.3. The Duramax is just as good as the current Cummins or Ford. It would be nice to see the big three get out of horse power war and get into a durability war.
Buy the truck you like the best, take care of it and hope it takes care of you.
Steve29rlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:45 PM   #36

I have owned 4x4 trucks, many diesel, since 1976. Dodge before Ram included. All are very good trucks. I put 45,000 miles annually on my daily driver diesel. All service is done at the dealer. Because I pull heavy equipment and the 5er 3/4 tons will not work only because the payload is not there on any diesel. Payload they all work but find every Ram owned required airbags and have never had that kind of sag on a Ford. I get a higher percentage of price returned at resale or trade in with Ford too BUT that is in my area, in some areas GM does well but Ram usually has less value returned. Most of all I have had great service from every Ford dealer and not every Ram dealer. Every Ford dealer I've been to has at least one certified diesel mechanic, did not find that at Ram. Last but certainly not least ~~ 45,000 ++ miles annually and my tush appreciates the comfort of Ford. I'll consider Ram at every purchase but FOR ME they have a long way to go.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:06 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
Powerstroke- is that the one that is 8 cylinders and you can't work on it cause there's no room under the hood

You are on a message board where 90% of the folks take their RV back to the dealer to have a screw replaced under warranty. I don't think your argument is valid! Lol.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:21 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
You are on a message board where 90% of the folks take their RV back to the dealer to have a screw replaced under warranty. I don't think your argument is valid! Lol.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Those are the same that complain that it takes so long to get that screw replaced at their rv dealer and are upset a non-selling dealer does not want to make their warranty claim a priority. Lol
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Not really; I have serviced my Cummins engine and Ram truck from day one of ownership. I have done 19 oil changes after the first one was done by the dealer and I have done 10 fuel filter changes. Plus three transmission oil changes with both filters and three differential oil changes along with the air cleaner filter.

When I went looking at all three pick-up truck brands I checked for serviceability first than ease of use and drivability. The Ram with the Cummins came out on top. Ease of serviceability will equate in lower service cost from the dealer also. You do not have to removed components and reinstall them when servicing the truck.

Now if you do not mind having the Cab lifted off of the frame to service the engine than by all means buy the Ford.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #40

Everyone has an opinion truly one is as good as the other.

I had a lot of trouble with Fords so I now like the Cummins. So no more junk Ford trucks for us, got tired of them living in the repair shop. Bought two Dodge Rams and have never looked back. Just my opinion Ford stopped making trucks after 1979. The last 3 Ford trucks I owned were pure crap, but the diesel engines were ok. The rest of the truck fell apart.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote